how to become a reptile vet?

On the topic of online or community college classes - yes they are a great way to do more at one time, but the admission committee at A&M vet school doesn't look kindly on doing that with your core science classes. They know that that those types of classes are not as rigorous as they would be at a university, and since those sciences are the basis for the rest of your career you don't get them same credit by taking your sciences that way versus someone who took them at the university. I can't say the same for every school, but I would not risk it. We're talking about mere hundredths of a point determining the cut for who gets in and who doesn't. You don't want to lose points on something like that. Taking englishes or other non sciences that way is fine though.

Here's A&M's vet school info to give you an idea of things work: Selection Procedure, Prerequisites. You'll need to look up Penn States too. Penn State is a good vet school.

Breeding geckos will count for some animal experience, but not much. It's the vet experience you really need. You said "my bf's parents work on the local campus, but they can more than likely help me get in after business school." Hope that means get into the regular university - there are no favors when it comes to vet school. They stick to their application procedures very closely because it's so competitive, so don't count on any special treatment there.

the only thing I am nervous about is seeing an animal in pain and having me to rely on for their animals needs, but I assume that is something that you have to work on while you go through school?

That's actually one of the best parts! You can fix that! And then you're a hero! Even if I can't take the broken leg straight to surgery I can put that pup on pain meds in the meantime that makes them pretty much forget about that broken leg. I love when you start pain meds and just immediately see a huge difference in how the animal is acting. That is rewarding. The responsibility of making all the decisions is definitely something you have to grow into. ;)

On the topic of online or community college classes - yes they are a great way to do more at one time, but the admission committee at A&M vet school doesn't look kindly on doing that with your core science classes. They know that that those types of classes are not as rigorous as they would be at a university, and since those sciences are the basis for the rest of your career you don't get them same credit by taking your sciences that way versus someone who took them at the university. I can't say the same for every school, but I would not risk it. We're talking about mere hundredths of a point determining the cut for who gets in and who doesn't. You don't want to lose points on something like that. Taking englishes or other non sciences that way is fine though.

Here's A&M's vet school info to give you an idea of things work: Selection Procedure, Prerequisites. You'll need to look up Penn States too. Penn State is a good vet school.

Breeding geckos will count for some animal experience, but not much. It's the vet experience you really need. You said "my bf's parents work on the local campus, but they can more than likely help me get in after business school." Hope that means get into the regular university - there are no favors when it comes to vet school. They stick to their application procedures very closely because it's so competitive, so don't count on any special treatment there.

im going to see about morning classes first before i think of taking online classes. prerequisites contain the english and such classes though too, right? i could take those online, and the sciences on campus? and yea, his parents can help me get into the university, but thats a start :)

This makes me feel as if the school I go to is one of the only that make you take Biology - 9th-10th grade and Chemistry 11th grade...

Its not about taking high school classes.. they are worthless.. Taking college level classes at a community college is what I meant. High school bio is really of no help, as is chemistry.

cuz there is no "community" school..just a penn state campus. plus im already a full time student at the business school :/ i honestly dont know what to do. im starting to believe going to business school is a big waste of time. but i already have too much time and money invested in it to back out now and get nothing for my time already there..

Not that I have any clue about veterinary college ( or any kind of college , for that matter ) , but having your business degree doesn't seem to be a waste of time . If veterinary medicine is as competitive as they say , it's good to have some other kind of schooling to fall back on , just in case . But hey , that's coming from a country boy that only graduated high school ... lol .

Not that I have any clue about veterinary college ( or any kind of college , for that matter ) , but having your business degree doesn't seem to be a waste of time . If veterinary medicine is as competitive as they say , it's good to have some other kind of schooling to fall back on , just in case . But hey , that's coming from a country boy that only graduated high school ... lol .

its not necessarily a waste of time...its just i already have enough experience in business that i wont learn anything till my second year of school here...i seriously have not learned a darn thing yet :/ i have all these certifications, classes, references...im 10 steps ahead of the rest of the class...so im basically paying for my degree even though i already have the experience for it.

its not necessarily a waste of time...its just i already have enough experience in business that i wont learn anything till my second year of school here...i seriously have not learned a darn thing yet :/ i have all these certifications, classes, references...im 10 steps ahead of the rest of the class...so im basically paying for my degree even though i already have the experience for it.

Even though you feel you have all sorts of training and experience in related fields to be permitted to focus on the minimums to get a degree, there are all sorts of other values in taking a full college course load. You don't want to be educated in such a narrow manner that you can't deal with anything other than a reptile, you won't be able to walk right into your own independent practice without knowing how to select, recruit, manage, supervise employees, handle business planning and relationships with labs, technical consultants, business services, client and local business relations, dealing with difficult emotional people, all sorts of stuff. Having a broadly educated, mature and discriminating mind is not something you can get in a short time or by cutting corners. We tend to focus on the technical certifications we think qualifies us for a very specific type of life, but chances are your real life won't work out that way. You'll have to stay open minded in order to get what you want.

BTW, the costs of those fecals and tests have to include the practice business costs...it costs a certain amount just to keep the doors open and they get passed on to you.

BTW, the costs of those fecals and tests have to include the practice business costs...it costs a certain amount just to keep the doors open and they get passed on to you.

Exactly. When you go get a $50-80 haircut you're not paying just for the cost of the scissors. You're paying for a hairstylist with experience to know what will look good and how to create it and the costs of them operating their business. Same thing with vets. You're paying for their knowledge and experience to know how to interpret the diagnostics and which treatment regimen will be best for your pet, and of course, the costs of operating their business just like anyone else.

Dayna, you're right about the community classes, I forgot the context. It's one thing for me to take an organic chem class at the local CC to get by with a slightly easier time (chemistry is not my best subject!), but it would be another thing if I were going for a medical degree afterwards.

But yes, get stuff like your humanity courses out of the way online or however you can, it will leave you with more time later to really focus on your core courses or have time to work.

Okay, they're not reptiles but I saved 3 dogs last night. A dog bleeding to death internally now stable and going to surgery to remove the bleeding tumor, a dog that ate enough xylitol to kill it that was having hypoglycemic seziures now stable, and a dog with a dangerously high fever from infection of unknown source now getting more diagnostics and fever has resolved. It's hard to be the person making all the decisions, but sometimes it's incredibly rewarding knowing you did good at the end of the day. And all their owners are happier for it. That's why you work so hard to go to vet school. :)

Okay, they're not reptiles but I saved 3 dogs last night. A dog bleeding to death internally now stable and going to surgery to remove the bleeding tumor, a dog that ate enough xylitol to kill it that was having hypoglycemic seziures now stable, and a dog with a dangerously high fever from infection of unknown source now getting more diagnostics and fever has resolved. It's hard to be the person making all the decisions, but sometimes it's incredibly rewarding knowing you did good at the end of the day. And all their owners are happier for it. That's why you work so hard to go to vet school. :)

that is awesome!!! i bet that is soo rewarding :3

my acomplishment? gotta start small, right? cave gecko ate a cricket :3 pretty sure its the first thing other than slurry that he has eaten..and he had a pretty hard time swallowing it..but he did! looks like there is something wrong with his ribs..possibly another old injury? they looked funky on one side when he was trying to swallow..poor fellow.

374410_496773970332997_460592254_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom