Sick Chameleon issues.

I saw people massage out sperm plugs, but I did that to him and 2 droplets or 2 tan colored things came out, again assuming sperm.
I didn't want to hurt him, but I hope cool to warm water was okay to moisten it, since I don't have easy access to KY jelly (or lube? Besides my parents having adam and eve lube).
I carefully dripped water into the back of his mouth to make sure, it wasn't a whole lot but it was about a few ML.

I understand, I've been trying to convince my parents but they keep mentioning money situations. Thank you for helping, and trust me, I would've never got chameleons or gave him to a rescuer If I could, when things started getting worse mentally for me.

I understand, I've been trying to convince my parents but they keep mentioning money situations. Thank you for helping, and trust me, I would've never got chameleons or gave him to a rescuer If I could, when things started getting worse mentally for me.
It isn't all on you. Your parents need to help you more.
They shouldn't get an animal they cannot take care of. And they should be more into your life to know you're having troubles of your own.
Keep us updated. I hope this plays out for the better, but we are also here for the worst.

It isn't all on you. Your parents need to help you more.
They shouldn't get an animal they cannot take care of. And they should be more into your life to know you're having troubles of your own.
I agree, however it's partially my fault since I fear my father the most, I can't really speak up. They thought it would be a fun idea to get me an exotic pet, a bad choice they made. Of course I loved my babies but, and no offense when I say this since it will sound like murder, but is their a way to help him pass if everything else fails?

I agree, however it's partially my fault since I fear my father the most, I can't really speak up. They thought it would be a fun idea to get me an exotic pet, a bad choice they made. Of course I loved my babies but, and no offense when I say this since it will sound like murder, but is their a way to help him pass if everything else fails?
I hate to say it, but a vet can euthanize him, should that time come. That's the most humane way to go about it. There arent any "good" at-home methods

MY COMMENTS ARE IN CAPS.

Veiled chameleon, male and he is around 3 years old, I had him as a baby.
I try not to handle him often since I heard it can stress them out.
I give him around 8-10 crickets in his cage every other day. And superworms...HES REALLY THIN TO BE EATING THIS MUCH FOOD EVERY OTHER DAY.
I gut-load the crickets with flukers calcium cricket feed, cat food and water jellies. as well as carrots and other veggies that are available. CAT FOOD IS NOT A GOOD OPTION...IT USUALLY HAS PREFORMED VITAMIN A IN IT...DOG FOOD IS NO GOOD EITHER.
I have 3 kinds of powders. Calcium with vitamin d3 and phosphorus free, calcium without vitamin d3 and then reptile vitamin with beta carotene. I dust every other feeding between these three powders. YOU SHOULD BE DUSTING AT ALL FEEDINGS BUT ONE A WEEK LIGHTLY WITH THE OHIS FREE CALCIUM POWDER AND ON THE ONE DAY YOU DON'T USE THAT POWDER YOU SHOULD ALTERNATE BETWEEN THE VITAMIN POWDER AND THE PHOS FREE CALCIUM/D3 POWDER LIGHTLY.
I have a water fountain, and misting container that goes off every 30 minutes for 15 seconds. I also hand mist for a few seconds throughout the day just in case. I hardly see him drink, but i'm mostly busy doing other things to notice. FOUNTAINS SHOULD NOT BE USED. THEY'RE TOO HARD TO KEEP CLEAN. YOU ONLY NEED TO MIST TWICE A DAY. I WOULD ADD A DRIPPER. IT CAAN BE A DELI CUP THAT HAS A PIN HOLE IN THE BOTTOM SO THAT IT DRIPS AT THE RATE OF ONE OR TWO DRIPS PER SECOND.
Recent fecal, it was days ago but it was white droppings and runny poo. Never been tested. RUNNY POO MIGHT BE AN INDICATION OF PARASITES.
We had the same schedule every day. for the past 3-4 years. Another thing to note, I had him since I was 12-13. I was placed in care of reptiles that I had 0 experience with and sort of did not want since it wasn't my type of pet wanting (thanks parents). I'm turning to the internet for help. My parents wouldn't understand and would just yell at me for not wanting chameleons. So please do not criticize me for not having the care he needs since I fear my parents. WHY DID THEY FORCE YOUNTO HAVE THEM?

Screen, Im unsure of dimensions, but its pretty big, maybe to big for chameleon. (ill post pics if needed)
3 Zoo med lights, 5.0 UVB. and then a heating lamp/basking lamp. I turn them on around 7-8 am and off at 9-10 pm UVB LIGHT SHOULD BE THE LONG LINEAR TUBE LIGHT REPTISUN 5.0. BASKING LIGHT CAN BE A REGUKAR HOUSEHOLD INCANDESCENT BULB THAT MAKES THE BASKING TEMP IN THE LOW 80'S.
Im using fake leaves since most of the plants i did have that were live, died shortly in my care unfortunately. NOT GOOD TO HAVE FAKE ONES.MTHEY CAN EAT TH LEAVES AND BECOME IMPACTED.
The cage is about 3-4 feet above the floor, no fans or air vents. Its located on the backwall since the whole thing is big.
I live in Texas, its been cold lately and I don't think I have enough heat to support him.

Current Problem: Under my care, and my mental health has been bad lately. I slowly gave up, and doing so, I didn't realize I was hurting my chameleon. Now he won't eat or drink, sunken eyes. "sleeps all day" and has an anal problem. Lastly, I'm really feeling bad, its been going for a week or two now. I've been caught up in my mental health I didn't realize this sooner. I don't want him to pass but he shows signs for a dying chameleon. I will never get another chameleon or any pet similar because of my experience. I cant take him to the vet because of the weather and we currently dont have money. Which is my fault because I cannot support my chameleon. Nor can I put him up for adoption because of my parents. So I wanna try to make things right or help him pass a little easier.
I apologize once again if this sounds bad or what not. Im underage and panicking because hes been my baby since day one and I messed up real bad lately.
-------------- ------------- ----------- ------------- ------------ -------------
You said..."I blame my parents for giving me such a burden to take care of"... Why is it your job to look after them? Are you responsible for paying for their supplies too?

You said..."Now he won't eat or drink, sunken eyes. "sleeps all day" and has an anal problem." What's going on with his skin as well?? All of these things need to be dealt with. Letting him suffer until he dies is not really acceptable...he should be taken to a vet and put down kindly/properly. Your parents should know this and IMHO they should make sure it's not allowed to suffer any further. This is inhumane.

WHY DID THEY FORCE YOUNTO HAVE THEM?
They disliked cats and dogs. They wanted me to have a pet, that doesn't make a lot of noise, doesn't make a mess or anything. Some animal to be kept in a cage.
Why is it your job to look after them? Are you responsible for paying for their supplies too?
Because, they gave them to me. They didn't want a responsibility but I apparently needed the responsibility. My moms too busy paying the bills and my father, well, too busy playing video games to listen to me. And I feel like I ask too much when getting supplies for him because of financial issues. I still got some of the needs but not 100% covered since I looked up incorrect information before and never updated when I should have. I pay for some of the supplies when I do have a bit of cash to spend.
All of these things need to be dealt with. Letting him suffer until he dies is not really acceptable...he should be taken to a vet and put down kindly/properly. Your parents should know this and IMHO they should make sure it's not allowed to suffer any further. This is inhumane.
As previously stated, I fear my father for many reasons. I feel bad, for what will happen or what could happen, but I would prefer him being put down properly. My parents won't agree because they don't understand... I apologize if this sounded rude and inhumane.. Thank you for the suggestions, I'm afraid its too late and lets just hope they don't replace my chameleon afterwards.

"Hes really thin to be eating this much" he lets most of the crickets die or they hide from him, dying as a result. I did make sure he ate, but unsure if i stated this but he slowly stopped eating about a week or two now. I blamed temperature but it wasnt that.

and because of my health, i stopped checking without realizing it.

Last edited:
I don't have a great answer about what to do for your chameleon, besides to take him to the vet.

With the above being said, I want to tell you how sorry I am that you are in this position and that you are dealing with so much on your own. My heart hurts for you when I read this thread.

I don't have a great answer about what to do for your chameleon, besides to take him to the vet.

With the above being said, I want to tell you how sorry I am that you are in this position and that you are dealing with so much on your own. My heart hurts for you when I read this thread.
I understand, and thank you for readin this thread. Rango and Liz (Name of both chameleons, Rango shown above in pics) were the best, they deserved a lot better care than I what I could provide. My heart broke after liz (not the one mentioned in pictures) died 1-2 months ago, and I didn't think what to improve because I lacked the experience of pet owning, which caused the decrease in health for him and i.

I'm so sorry to hear what you are going through. Animals are meant to provide comfort and joy, especially to people with their own set of issues, not be a burden and source of additional anxiety.

It seems like your parents may not have the capacity to be reasonable, so this may not help, but it seems to me that if they gave you the pet and yet are not helping you (who is dependent on them for support) with the means of providing this pet with the care it needs, and also preventing you from giving him to someone who CAN properly care for him, then THEY are guilty of animal cruelty and could potentially be liable for their actions.

It really sounds like it would be in the chams best interest to be in someone else's care right now - at least until it can be nursed back to health.

Good luck and keep chatting with the good folks here who can try and help as best they can.

Hello, he seems to be more active today. I will be making a list of things to buy once this crazy weather calms down. Ill keep trying to help him since i feel a lot better lately. I am aware of this seeming to be animal cruelty, it wasnt my intention. I apologize to everyone. My parents already argued that i shouldnt give him up because of how i feel. However, i do enjoy having him as a pet just it was a lot for me since i wanted to focus on school and my hobbies. I will be putting my chameleon first. Ill do what I can.

Edit: i will try to buy new supplies when i can get them. And stay away from certain brands such as flukers when gut loading, etc.

Update: I gave him a few ML droplets of water, and he swallowed most of it. Will this be fine as long as I'm putting droplets of water down his throat?

Edit: He opened his eyes and started moving up. Is this a good sign? he was on the floor most of today, where I sort of wanted him to rest and not fall off his branch. I'll keep updating this post or post new updates. I wanna try to nurse him back to health. he is my baby, and my parents wont let him go. They love him too, but just don't show it correctly. I would prefer making things right, and I understand he doesn't deserve this cruelty, just because I hit a bumpy road. I'll keep giving him droplets of water every morning and evening. 'Putting him to bed' earlier as well. Fix my schedule and such. Thank you all, and I deeply apologize once again for this happening.

Edit: After he went up, he grabbed a superworm but fell. I laid him down on the bottom to rest again. Is turning off lights around 7-8 pm good? then turning on at 7 am?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom