Sick Chameleon issues.

Lassy_And_Leela

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male and he is around 3 years old, I had him as a baby.
  • Handling - I try not to handle him often since I heard it can stress them out.
  • Feeding - I give him around 8-10 crickets in his cage every other day. And superworms as little snacks, not too much though. Wake up, clean cage and give him crickets. I gut-load the crickets with flukers calcium cricket feed, cat food and water jellies. as well as carrots and other veggies that are available.
  • Supplements - I have 3 kinds of powders. Calcium with vitamin d3 and phosphorus free, calcium without vitamin d3 and then reptile vitamin with beta carotene. I dust every other feeding between these three powders.
  • Watering - I have a water fountain, and misting container that goes off every 30 minutes for 15 seconds. I also hand mist for a few seconds throughout the day just in case. I hardly see him drink, but i'm mostly busy doing other things to notice.
  • Fecal Description - Recent fecal, it was days ago but it was white droppings and runny poo. Never been tested.
  • History - We had the same schedule every day. for the past 3-4 years. Another thing to note, I had him since I was 12-13. I was placed in care of reptiles that I had 0 experience with and sort of did not want since it wasn't my type of pet wanting (thanks parents). I'm turning to the internet for help. My parents wouldn't understand and would just yell at me for not wanting chameleons. So please do not criticize me for not having the care he needs since I fear my parents.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, Im unsure of dimensions, but its pretty big, maybe to big for chameleon. (ill post pics if needed)
  • Lighting - 3 Zoo med lights, 5.0 UVB. and then a heating lamp/basking lamp. I turn them on around 7-8 am and off at 9-10 pm
  • Temperature - 75-85F for overall. Lowest is around 70-75F. I did have two temperature readers but they powered off a day ago.
  • Humidity - I'm 100% unsure of this. Sorry.
  • Plants - No, Im using fake leaves since most of the plants i did have that were live, died shortly in my care unfortunately.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is about 3-4 feet above the floor, no fans or air vents. Its located on the backwall since the whole thing is big.
  • Location - I live in Texas, its been cold lately and I don't think I have enough heat to support him.
Current Problem: Under my care, and my mental health has been bad lately. I slowly gave up, and doing so, I didn't realize I was hurting my chameleon. Now he won't eat or drink, sunken eyes. "sleeps all day" and has an anal problem. Lastly, I'm really feeling bad, its been going for a week or two now. I've been caught up in my mental health I didn't realize this sooner. I don't want him to pass but he shows signs for a dying chameleon. I will never get another chameleon or any pet similar because of my experience. I cant take him to the vet because of the weather and we currently dont have money. Which is my fault because I cannot support my chameleon. Nor can I put him up for adoption because of my parents. So I wanna try to make things right or help him pass a little easier.
I apologize once again if this sounds bad or what not. Im underage and panicking because hes been my baby since day one and I messed up real bad lately.

20210215_220444.jpg
20210215_220414.jpg
20210215_220417.jpg
20210215_220426.jpg

Sorry to hear you're having health issues of your own. I hope you get them solved.

As for your chameleon, I'm afraid you need to take him to a good chameleon vet ASAP. I know you said the weather is bad and you don't have the money. The only other option, is to quickly find someone who can take him....a rescue.

My feedback will be in red

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled chameleon, male and he is around 3 years old, I had him as a baby.
  • Handling - I try not to handle him often since I heard it can stress them out.
  • Feeding - I give him around 8-10 crickets in his cage every other day. And superworms as little snacks, not too much though. Wake up, clean cage and give him crickets. I gut-load the crickets with flukers calcium cricket feed, cat food and water jellies. as well as carrots and other veggies that are available.
At this age he can be eating every 2-3 days and 5 feeders. Superworms should only be given as a treat as they are very addictive. Those are not good gutloading items. Stop using Flukers, cat food, and Im not sure on the water jellies. Stick to veggies and fruits. Ill attach an image for recommended. He also needs more of a variety, ill post pictures fro that.
  • Supplements - I have 3 kinds of powders. Calcium with vitamin d3 and phosphorus free, calcium without vitamin d3 and then reptile vitamin with beta carotene. I dust every other feeding between these three powders.
Is beta carotene a multivitamin? Your schedule needs some help. Calcium WITHOUT d3 every feeding but once a week and on that day alternate between Multivitamin and Calcium WITH d3.
  • Watering - I have a water fountain, and misting container that goes off every 30 minutes for 15 seconds. I also hand mist for a few seconds throughout the day just in case. I hardly see him drink, but i'm mostly busy doing other things to notice.
Remove the fountain that is a carrier for bacteria. Let the misting system go off for 1-3 min. How many times are you misting? Do you have a fogger?
  • Fecal Description - Recent fecal, it was days ago but it was white droppings and runny poo. Never been tested.
  • History - We had the same schedule every day. for the past 3-4 years. Another thing to note, I had him since I was 12-13. I was placed in care of reptiles that I had 0 experience with and sort of did not want since it wasn't my type of pet wanting (thanks parents). I'm turning to the internet for help. My parents wouldn't understand and would just yell at me for not wanting chameleons. So please do not criticize me for not having the care he needs since I fear my parents.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen, Im unsure of dimensions, but its pretty big, maybe to big for chameleon. (ill post pics if needed)
Min size is 4 feet tall by 2x2
  • Lighting - 3 Zoo med lights, 5.0 UVB. and then a heating lamp/basking lamp. I turn them on around 7-8 am and off at 9-10 pm
Is the UVB linear or compact? Chameleons need a 12/12 cycle, begin to turn off lights slightly earlier.
  • Temperature - 75-85F for overall. Lowest is around 70-75F. I did have two temperature readers but they powered off a day ago.'
What is basking temp?
  • Humidity - I'm 100% unsure of this. Sorry.
You need something to measure humidity.
  • Plants - No, Im using fake leaves since most of the plants i did have that were live, died shortly in my care unfortunately.
Unfortunately, fake plants are dangerous for veilds as they like to eat their plants. I would take out the fake and replace with pathos, a very easy plant to keep alive.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? The cage is about 3-4 feet above the floor, no fans or air vents. Its located on the backwall since the whole thing is big.
  • Location - I live in Texas, its been cold lately and I don't think I have enough heat to support him.
i live here as well, as long as temps remain in good range he will be okay.
Current Problem: Under my care, and my mental health has been bad lately. I slowly gave up, and doing so, I didn't realize I was hurting my chameleon. Now he won't eat or drink, sunken eyes. "sleeps all day" and has an anal problem. Lastly, I'm really feeling bad, its been going for a week or two now. I've been caught up in my mental health I didn't realize this sooner. I don't want him to pass but he shows signs for a dying chameleon. I will never get another chameleon or any pet similar because of my experience. I cant take him to the vet because of the weather and we currently dont have money. Which is my fault because I cannot support my chameleon. Nor can I put him up for adoption because of my parents. So I wanna try to make things right or help him pass a little easier.

Sunken eyes is not a good sign. Ill tag some other keepers to try and see if we can get your guy back up and good. Im sorry to say but he needs a vet. He’s very skinny and i’m seeing signs of MBD. As said, he needs a vet ASAP.
I apologize once again if this sounds bad or what not. Im underage and panicking because hes been my baby since day one and I messed up real bad lately.

@Beman

Here are these:

Attachments

• 91B26485-1178-450A-AF4E-2B0D2AD1371F.jpeg
    91B26485-1178-450A-AF4E-2B0D2AD1371F.jpeg
    107.6 KB · Views: 123
  • 0B18A2C6-F6D4-4D52-B0D8-D9C71082F409.jpeg
    0B18A2C6-F6D4-4D52-B0D8-D9C71082F409.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 114
Sorry to hear you're having health issues of your own. I hope you get them solved.

As for your chameleon, I'm afraid you need to take him to a good chameleon vet ASAP. I know you said the weather is bad and you don't have the money. The only other option, is to quickly find someone who can take him....a rescue.
I really hate to say this, my parents wont allow me to give my pet to a rescuer or to the vet. The city here is turning off power throughtout the night, he may not make it thru tonight. Thank you all, ill let yall know tomorrow. And thank you for feedback, its much appreciated. Im not giving up, but i cant stay up because of school. Again, i wont own anymore chameleons after my sweet boy since i deal with so much.

Normally a veiled can take temperatures down into the low 50's F...but that's if they're healthy. You can put bottles of warm water outside the cage and put a blanket over the cage while the power is out to keep it warmer for him. Just don't make it so the bottles can touch him and burn him.

Normally a veiled can take temperatures down into the low 50's F...but that's if they're healthy. You can put bottles of warm water outside the cage and put a blanket over the cage while the power is out to keep it warmer for him. Just don't make it so the bottles can touch him and burn him.
We dont have any hot or warm water.. ill do my best to make sure he is warm before going to sleep. Logging off, ill update yall tomorrow...

One last thing. The cage is wooden and i cant have the mist on for too long. The wood is beginning to rot, and my father wont listen to me or help me in some situations. Which is why i cant go to them for problems. I wish i could give him to someone else. I ran into a similar problem with my other chameleon. I had 2 last year, one past away, unsure but i believe dehydration which made me mist more often. Much as i can without making the wood rot more. They were both sweet chameleons. I blame my parents for giving me such a burden to take care of, especially if i cant take care of myself. Anyway... can someone leave me suggestions on how to help my chameleon please? Im doing the warming trick, even though my father said no, its a hazard. I wanna help my chameleon feel better, and give him a 2nd chance. I understand its my fault but he means everything to me. I hardly looked up information before because i was busy trying to fix my life before and after i got them. They will be my priority, then other stuff. (I know i said im logging off but i just needed to throw this out there)

Edit: Failed to mention, he is in a different room to protect from cats and to have his own heating. I am aware i dont met the requirements for his safety but i feel as if i dont have a choice in some things. My parents are staying off the road unless its an emergency to them. And they wont buy supplies since im just "wasting" money, or they will yell at me for not knowing this.

Last edited:
I just want to say, it is not your fault you cannot help your chameleon if you do not have the support of your parents. They should know what the care requirements are of the pets they allow their child/children to have. If you are having mental health issues, or any health issues, you are right to have it be your main concern. Your parents should pick up your slack because that is what responsible parents do.

That being said, you should try to convince them that your chameleon needs a vet before it dies in your care. I can only imagine that will add to your stress.

About the misting, you should be misting for longer, like 2-3 minutes, but less often. You only need to mist in the morning and in the evening, not through the day. You can get a plastic cup and poke a tiny hole into the bottom and set it on the top of the cage so there is access to water during the day...it can collect in a dish if you do not have drainage set up, so long as you clean it out a few times a day.

Do you know what is sticking g out of his vent (anal opening)? It looks dry and crusted. I hope it isn't his hemipenal or a prolapse. You should keep it moist with Ky jelly or something like that, do not use vaseline though. Also keep it clean. He really does need a vet to look at it and decide the best course of action.

I sincerely hope you get things figured out, for your chameleon and yourself. It sucks to hear situations like this one.

I just want to say, it is not your fault you cannot help your chameleon if you do not have the support of your parents. They should know what the care requirements are of the pets they allow their child/children to have. If you are having mental health issues, or any health issues, you are right to have it be your main concern. Your parents should pick up your slack because that is what responsible parents do.

That being said, you should try to convince them that your chameleon needs a vet before it dies in your care. I can only imagine that will add to your stress.

About the misting, you should be misting for longer, like 2-3 minutes, but less often. You only need to mist in the morning and in the evening, not through the day. You can get a plastic cup and poke a tiny hole into the bottom and set it on the top of the cage so there is access to water during the day...it can collect in a dish if you do not have drainage set up, so long as you clean it out a few times a day.

Do you know what is sticking g out of his vent (anal opening)? It looks dry and crusted. I hope it isn't his hemipenal or a prolapse. You should keep it moist with Ky jelly or something like that, do not use vaseline though. Also keep it clean. He really does need a vet to look at it and decide the best course of action.

I sincerely hope you get things figured out, for your chameleon and yourself. It sucks to hear situations like this one.
My parents both are busy with their lives and do not believe my mental health or what has been going on. Do you think it will be okay to "Force" him to hydrate in the morning and evening? I gave him water by a pipette, I made sure he drank a little since he hasn't really moved at all in the day. I will set up what you have suggested to me.

It looks like poo, but I'm unsure because I believe this tan looking stuff came out yesterday was sperm? sperm plug?

I'll try, and no offense to anyone but I feel if I do take him to the vet he may die shortly after, even with care. I have a bad feeling, its going to end either way. Sorry if this sounded rude.

edit: the im assuming poo, is sort of stinking up my room. My room smells of poo, least concern but is it because of what is sticking out of his vent?

Last edited:
Also, he is still alive. Power did not go out. Is their any other methods to help in the meantime as I try to convince them to take my chameleon to the vet?

Forcing hydration is dangerous. Their airway is in the front of their mouth, so you have to get the water far enough back so it doesn't get into their lungs.
Even if it is poo, it will likely do better moist...
Maybe you can try massaging it out like people do sperm plugs. There's a video, I'll link it.

If it isn't easy, do not force it.
If his poo is smelly then you should take a sample in to get checked for parasites.

Back
Top Bottom