How often Should they poop?

it depends on how old and how often you are feeding them. My cham is 15 -16months old now and poops about every other to every 3rd day. I feed him every other day. When I was feeding him everyday he pretty much pooped every day when he was a juvenile. If I mist him directly with warm water he will poop almost instantly whether he ate that day or not....

Zelig my little faly goes every day for sure, there's always cute little poops around the cage. It's Zaphod I'm fussing over, you probably saw my other thread. So far in between it's been 9 days, then 7 days, then 5 days, now it's been 3 days since then and nothing so far yet today.
There hasn't been a day that I haven't fed him anything, but some days I'm skimpier than others (rather than skipping completely) especially the longer it's been since he's pooped I don't want to fill him up too much if he's not making room for more, you know what I mean? He's probably around 11 months old now. I do mist him with warm water, but it doesn't do the trick with us. :(
I'm happy it's getting more frequent, was just wondering how infrequent was "normal" (aka when can I stop worrying, lol)

Never stop worrying

Lol, well no kidding on that one, I guess I didn't mean stop worrying, more just stop worrying about poop frequency, and replace it with some other thing to obsess about. Lol.

My adult panther seriously poops maybe once a week, sometimes longer in between. He's always been that way though. I used to worry about it, but he's done that the last 2 years just fine so I'm not worried anymore, I just have to be patient. And he won't go in his cage - just plain refuses to. So sometimes that plays a role if I can't take him out every day (he's one of those unusual "friendly" ones). You just have to figure out their schedule and make sure they get plenty of water in the meantime. :)

Okay so maybe I can stop being quite so panicky then, it's not that unusual to go a few days then, it seems. That's a little relief at least. Still keeping up in the warm watering as much as I can.

when my f veiled was a juvi she would go everyday or two but since she turned adult (she is approx 18 months now) she only goes once every 7 to 10 days. I was pretty concerned at first but everything is good, its just her schedule lol.

Okay, I found another one today, may have been last night, maybe this morning, not sure. Anyways, so we're down to 4 days now.
Urate still half orangish this, kind of disturbed about that, as I've been misting alot longer each time, and have seen him drinking. :(
I heard a local store found a supplier for hornworms, maybe I'll try those, maybe they won't be as scary as silkworms, since they don't look like mummies. Lol.

Update

Another poop today, so that's good, down to 3 days now. :)
Got a hold of some hornworms, so I think that helped. Hopefully I can keep up a supply of those from now on. He loved them right away, btw, though still terrified of silkworm! Haha.
Weird mucous bubble on poop, but I'm pretty sure i remembered someone saying that (mucous poop with hornworms) was reasonably common?
Urate still part orange though guys... Really upsetting me! He DOES drink. what the heck??

Whats his source of water Melissa ?(see I remembered! :)) Increasing the moisture content of your gutload will improve that considerably too, lots of leafy greens and some fruits do wonders! :)

Source is me, so far. :) pump mister, hot water (just tap water so far) qeach time. Wet down every leaf in the cage, till they drip (so he sees them dripping) I also spray him directly, until he drips too, lol. No seriously, I will spray him for at least a minute, if he doesn't run away and is in a good spot I will spray until my jug empties. I work 3 days a week, on those days they get sprayed 3 to 5 times a day, good one before & one or two after work and at least one light one from my son while I'm away. On days I'm home, it's usually at least 5 times a day, a couple really long ones, a couple lighter ones.
I see him sort of swallowing while being sprayed directly, I even see him walk over to a leaf afterwards & licking. So I know he is drinking, at least somewhat. He has two staghorn ferns & a hibiscus in his cage, so lots of leaves that hold water for quite some time.
His crickets do get wet gutload in addition to dry. At first it was mostly collard greens with a little kiwi. A couple nights had sweet pepper in there too. The past week or so it's been a mix of collard, kale & dandelion greens, no fruits, except for that one night with the grapes/pear babyfood. May have been a few times they just got romaine & carrot when I ran low & got them from work I just threw that in there & forgot to change up gutload when I got home.
I do have some orange pulp from last night's dinner I was going to throw in
tomorrow.
He's been getting some kind of worm (supers or butters, he won't touch silks) with almost every feeding, but majority crickets. Last 2 days he had hornworms (loves em)
I'm still working on rearranging things for better drainage so I can get a mistking going, it just turns out to require a little more rearranging than I first anticipated. Might have to move one to another room, still trying to work something out. I got different bins for now, that work a little better but still
not full coverage and one end drips a lot still (hence the 'if he's in a good spot I drain my whole jug')
I guess you know, a lot of times you won't SEE them drink at all, like my little guy, think I've seen him licking water maybe twice ever. And his urates are super white, and I don't mist him as long, cause he runs from it, I just soak his leaves down, get him a little bit. So I figured I'm going extra long with Zaphod, misting him directly for over a minute each time, I DO see him
drinking somewhat (licking lips or leaves or plant hanger, something) almost
every day. Plus he's been eating more plump worms. You'd think he'd be in
even better shape moisture-wise, but it's the opposite.

I think your little bloke is simply at a stage where moisture lapped from leaves is simply no longer enough, not keeping pace with its growing needs.
I saw this same issue with my first at around 4 months I think, he began to have yellow urate and began actually biting leaves of the plants.
I reasoned this was an extra effort to obtain more water and started running a drip from lights on till just before lights off.
It may be time to think about a nice dripper so the little guy has ample opportunity to drink when it wants, when you cant be there.
I think you will start to see less leaf eating behaviour after a bit and whiter urates too. :)

Okay, the little 4 month oldscaly Is okay, it's the 11 month old mitsio that's dehydrated poops. I have tried dripping for him, for when I was going to be out. Homemade "punch holes in container style" but I couldn't get it to drip slowly, when holes were small, it would stop completely until I moved it. Whole point is so you're not there working it. Lol. Made holes slightly bigger, I mean slightly, and just gushed, probably empty before I was ready to leave. same thing with second one. also, the heavy dripping, it scared him he ran to other side of cage and hid. :( so I need it to stay slow & subtle.
I haven't been able to find commercial like "little dripper" dealies anywhere around here, that's why I don't have something proper yet. Just found those in a list from a supplier my boss can order from, so I will probably have one of those in a week or two. In the meantime, advice on making slow drips keep dripping when container is still?
He is starting to eat from his cup again, so I will try putting some fruits & veggies in there, maybe he'll eat a little of that, or else at least bugs will until he gets to them, that might be a little boost too.

If you can find a nice sized container say, atleast 1.5 gallons, often water containers, the kind you buy in the supermarket (big ones) are great, make a hole in the lid just big enough to insert aquarium airline tubing (this is very cheap) and run it into the filled container so its righ at the bottom.
Leave yourself enough length so that you can reach easy (this will depend how high you place it) then cut the tube. At this point you need another cheap aquarium gadget (usually but not always sold with tubing, but also very cheap) an aquarium airline tap valve (see below) add the valve then more tubing, as much as you need to reach into the cage to wherever, and your done.
Just fasten the tube inside the cage so that the end is easily accessable to the lizard (by a perch perhaps) and prefrably will drip over frolige too.
Then you need only 'prime' it once till it flows, adjust flow as required.
Your dripper shuld run several hours and not run out, and as bonus, you can turn it off at the tap valve ad on again the next day, no more sucking. Refill as required.
:)

Anything like this, if it has a tap you can attach tubing instead of the lid all the better..

GroupofWaterContainersmerged.jpg

Tubing
go.pl

tap valve (any pet store)

eb4aa66648886a7d929a5121244a37bc.jpg

Just ensure your drainage catcher matches capacity. :)

Okay... Thanks for the pictures too, I had tried something sort of like this only with just a culture container, and I thoughtaybe I had the wrong kind of valve, but it is pretty similar actually. It worked kind of so-so and only in one direction, and also leaked, so I just thought the hole-poking thing might work simpler, but it didnt either. But I will try fiddling with it again, maybe a better container will do the trick, I just had a hole in the side of my container, a real container with a real tap I'm sure would work much better.
Thanks again for the detailed advice, I will try that out.

As far as leaf-eating goes,

Turns out the little faly has been nibbling on his hibiscus leaves though, my husband told me this morning he caught him a couple of times with a chunk of leaf in his mouth, frozen & looking guilty, lol.
No signs of nibbled leaves in big guy's cage though.

Back
Top Bottom