How often do I have to replace the playsand?

Pilotman800

How often do I have to replace the play sand thats in the laying bin? Doesn't it get moldy if you leave it in too long?

because it is a nice, damp and warm medium (which quite possibly gets pooped on) bacteria and mold can grow in it.
I replace mine yearly.
You could "wash" it with boiling water or by baking it, and thus use it longer, but its not worth it (sand is cheap).

Also what I have done is scrape off the top layer and pitch it....the rest I'll spread it out in a large tub and let the good old sun do the work!!!

I usually do a new mix every 6-12 months. I do sand with peat moss so it tends to get stank a little quicker.

Also what I have done is scrape off the top layer and pitch it....the rest I'll spread it out in a large tub and let the good old sun do the work!!!

I do this as well, I've got the dirt I use in mine out in the sun as we speak, getting "freshened up," as it were. It was starting to get little gnats, so I put it outside to dry up and clear out anything that's living in it before I re-moisten it and put it back in my females' cages.

Back
Top Bottom