How often do chameleons shed?

poopdedoop

I'm just wondering how often do chameleons shed? Mine has just started on her back claw. Is there anything I can do to help her? She's getting really grumpy now because she's gettin so itchy.

dont touch her or try to pull at the skin. All you should do is increase her misting. They shed because their skin does not grow with their bodies so the older they get the less frequently they shed. Babies will shed about once a month. My 1 yr old and 10 mo old are shedding about every 2 months.. (maybe longer, I haven't really been paying attention to how long it has been.)

okay cool. I figured I should mist her more often and that's what I've been doing. How long does it take for them to completely shed? on average...

Length of time for a shed also changes as they age. My panther shed about monthly when he was rapidly growing, and completed the shed in a day or two. Now that he's four years old, he may shed one foot one week, a bit of the tail the next, nothing for a month and a half, then the other feet, sides and much of the face over about ten days, etc.

my little female pygmy cham just shed took her about a day...i was wondering why she looked so odd for a few days etc but then i looked in and she had some lose skin hanging off her side and then a few hours later almost her whole body..

I wonder if space has anything to do with growth and shedding. I have at lease one chameleon in some stage of shedding 365 days a year.

Last edited:
Shayna has shed three times since August. The first one was very quick, hours. The last one took about 2 days.

Is it typical that they eat less before a shed?

Shayna has shed three times since August. The first one was very quick, hours. The last one took about 2 days.

Is it typical that they eat less before a shed?

I can guess almost exactly when my panther is going to shed depending on the changes on his eating habits. He eats less and he's so grumpy!!

Shedding!

Yeah I can totally tell when my 5 month nosy faly male is about to shed, he gets kinda pale and a little lazy and grumpy lol. The last shed was the whole body in 2 pieces and was off in under 4 hours! It helps to mist w/ really warm water and raise humidity a little bit.:)

my 5 month old is just about finished shedding but still has some hanging on her foot & around her eyes & she is pissed off. Do they always get this grumpy when they shed? she's usually very happy so this is not normal behavior for her.

When i was watching my girlfriends chameleons i noticed at 1045 in the morning that he was starting to shed. The white cloudy areas started to appear. By 1200 he was completey done his shed. He is also about 5 months old. But sometimes when they are really aggrevated by the shed, they do everything in their power to get that skin off. and all you can do is spray them as much as you can to make it more bearable.

Not Shedding

I have a male Jackson chameleon and he has got slightly bigger since I have had him but I have never seen him shed in the 7 months I have had him. Is that normal ?

very very fast shed

my 3-4 month old veiled went thru his first shedding since i owned him (3 weeks) in less than 2 hours!! One minute he looked normal and the next time i checked him about 30 min later, his entire body was shedding all at once. Is that normal? am i doing anything wrong?

I have a 2 month old veiled and its her first shed. It begun yesterday a night and she has got most of it off today so i am guessing she will be done by tomorrow:)

I just got a veiled Cham, I sprayed his habitat yesterday and he had white spots due to the water that stayed on him. This morning he started to shed in the same spots where the water stayed last night and then a couple of of hours later he started too shed
Completely. Is that normal?

Back
Top Bottom