How long should I wait before attempting to bond with / handle a chameleon

m1les

I just got a baby panther chameleon a few days ago. Whenever I open the cage she doesn't move from her spot and seems undisturbed. She's been eating like a champ, and drinking (I think, I mist her cage 5 times a day and turn a dripper on for 5-20). Today was the first time she flared up at me when she was close to the opening of the cage while I misted. Anyways, how long should I wait before attempting to handle her? I assume atleast a week maybe two? Any input is appreciated.

I just got a baby panther chameleon a few days ago. Whenever I open the cage she doesn't move from her spot and seems undisturbed. She's been eating like a champ, and drinking (I think, I mist her cage 5 times a day and turn a dripper on for 5-20). Today was the first time she flared up at me when she was close to the opening of the cage while I misted. Anyways, how long should I wait before attempting to handle her? I assume atleast a week maybe two? Any input is appreciated.
ah so youve decided its a female :) I would actually like to hear other members input on this can you pull up some photos?

As for the bonding I would say wait a week or so to let sHe adapt to his/her new environment. Just a peice of advice, I recommend the best way to bond is to take them outside on a nice sunny day!

5 times a day is a lot to be misting. What are your humidity levels when you don't mist?

Definitely wait at least 2 weeks if not longer before interacting with your cham.

I had a free range chameleon that I did not handle much. It lived in my room where I also did a lot of work. After a few months he would come down close to me. I think he figured out that I was not a threat. I could put my hand near him and he would not puff up or get agitated. So maybe by observing how your chameleon reacts to your hand being near, you could determine when to try to handle. I also let him come to me and never forced anything.

ah so youve decided its a female :) I would actually like to hear other members input on this can you pull up some photos?

As for the bonding I would say wait a week or so to let sHe adapt to his/her new environment. Just a peice of advice, I recommend the best way to bond is to take them outside on a nice sunny day!
No no. Haven't decided what gender it is. Just an instinct to right he / she when I type instead of they or it haha. Thanks for the advice though!

5 times a day is a lot to be misting. What are your humidity levels when you don't mist?

Definitely wait at least 2 weeks if not longer before interacting with your cham.

5 times a day humidity goes to about 70-80 percent. Most of the time it's not a full dowsing and just a spray on a plant or two so they have something to drink.

5 times a day humidity goes to about 70-80 percent. Most of the time it's not a full dowsing and just a spray on a plant or two so they have something to drink.
70-80 is very high. I keep mine at 40-50% and mist him 2-3 times a day

Back
Top Bottom