High Light plants for outdorr enclosers

hey guys! i was wondering what kinds of plants yall use in your outdoor enclosures? ive used ficus and shifflera(umbrella plant) but they dont seem to do so well in direct sunlight, especially the umbrella plant. any suggestions on direct sunlight plants used? how about anyones ficus, how are they doing in direct sunlight? thanks

-Rich

You know rich it's funny you say that. I have a umbrella that is in direct light near the top, and thrives. While I'm not a Botanist, I think it has a more to do with the heat and the fact that they are climbing all over it. I have had excellent luck with ficuses,hibiscuses, and umbrellas. What kind of humidity/water are you providing for the plants?

huh? anyways im talking bout a plant that has light coming in from all sides, very warm climate, and high humidity. not just direct light at the top. direct sunlight from pretty muich all four sides. thanks

I feel like a total idiot right now, I failed to realize your post title says "outdoor", my appoligies.:eek:

Anyway, I do keep my plants outdoors when they aren't in use. I have found that hibiscuses will do fine in full sun and moderate temps(mid 80's), however the ficus and umbrellas do better in partial sun with moderate temps. Hibiscuses and umbrellas are water hogs, while I can easly overwater the ficus if Im not carefull. Most people actually overwater plants then underwater, and have no clue about why thier plant perish so quickly.

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not in Texas, and don't really know the environment your dealing with first hand.

-Jay

Last edited:
I feel like a total idiot right now, I failed to realize your post title says "outdoor", my appoligies.:eek:

Anyway, I do keep my plants outdoors when they aren't in use. I have found that hibiscuses will do fine in full sun and moderate temps(mid 80's), however the ficus and umbrellas do better in partial sun with moderate temps. Hibiscuses and umbrellas are water hogs, while I can easly overwater the ficus if Im not carefull. Most people actually overwater plants then underwater, and have no clue about why thier plant perish so quickly.

I wish I could be of more help, but I'm not in Texas, and don't really know the environment your dealing with first hand.

-Jay

cool cool, thanks for the help! it definetly is a light issue, i have no problem when the plants are inside, they grow like weeds. but when there are outside they dont do so well. thanks for the help thou!

Ficus will shed most of the leaves if left outdoor, then grow new ones. In my climate, at least.

What I'd recommend is a variety of hibiscus. They thrive outdoors, they have awesome foliage AND flower blooms. They're also healthy food for chameleons, or you can even make hibiscus tea for yourself out of the flowers ;)

I have a Purple Glory tree, a pothos and a ficus in my outsalets outdoor enclosure, all in direct sunlight, and ALL thriving, my ficus hasnt lost leaves actually, so far my favorite is the Purple Glory, but you cant use it inside because it has a high demand for sunlight.

you can even make hibiscus tea for yourself out of the flowers

Really? Intresting. Im more of a coffee guy myself, herbal stuff has never been my cup of tea. (pun intended) :)

P.s Hibiscus should really boom in direct sun, a neighbour has a huge hedge of it!
Oddly, If i put some of the flowers in homers cage, he never goes near them.
Maybe he has trouble 'reading bright colors' ROFL (sorry Syn :D)

Back
Top Bottom