Hi I am a beginner and I am planning on buying a Chameleon soon what types are good and cool?

Hi and welcome! :) As has already been said, all chameleons are good and cool. It’s awesome that you will be researching them and their care needs before getting one and you are absolutely in the right place!
Even the ’easiest’ chameleon will have expensive needs and require correct husbandry to stay happy and healthy. Veiled and panther are the most popular and the ‘easiest’ for a beginner and I would suggest a male of either. Along with the above links you’ve been provided, you could also check out Neptune the chameleon on YouTube.

Hi and welcome! :) As has already been said, all chameleons are good and cool. It’s awesome that you will be researching them and their care needs before getting one and you are absolutely in the right place!
Even the ’easiest’ chameleon will have expensive needs and require correct husbandry to stay happy and healthy. Veiled and panther are the most popular and the ‘easiest’ for a beginner and I would suggest a male of either. Along with the above links you’ve been provided, you could also check out Neptune the chameleon on YouTube.
How much would I end up spending on stuff and which one do like Veiled and panther

How much would I end up spending on stuff and which one do like Veiled and panther
There are some ways to cut some costs, but your costs would be approximately:
2x2x4’ enclosure (Repti Breeze is cheapest) $140
24” T5HO with 5.0 uvb $70. *uvb bulb has to be changed every 6 months
Basking light & bulbs $30
Live plants, pots and soil $75 min
Grow light (depending on your plants $35+
Supplements $40+/-
Thermometers & hygrometers $25+
You’ll also need a way to spray/mist...from pressurized spray bottle up to an automatic misting system
Drainage system...from a bucket to a drip tray
Way to attach plants and branches...from a DIY scaffolding to Dragon Ledges
Feeders, gutload, containers for feeders, feeding cup, tongs, Vines, & misc.
Fecal check for parasites with vet
You’ll always want to keep an emergency fund for a vet visit too
Think I covered it all. It adds up quick and there are few shortcuts to do it right.
Ways to cut costs - Use washed branches from outside, get an Arcadia 6% uvb bulb which is good for a year, use pothos or philodendron which don’t need a grow light and are easy to propagate (making more plants), breed your own feeders and check on CraigsList and Facebook marketplace to pick up some needed stuff cheap. Holiday sales and Black Friday are right around the corner and you may be able to get some deals on stuff too.

I am also a first time cham owner! I've had my veiled Ophelia for a few months now. I would totally suggest getting one from a previous owner who needs to sell, you can probably find many on craigslist/ebay and other websites (mine's previous owner had to go to college and couldn't care for her, I found her on craigslist). It is nice to get them from other people because usually they will come with supplies and also it is great to help give a cham a home! Just make sure you check up on their health if you buy/adopt from someone because you never know if they might be sick when you get them from someone you don't know.

I have seen a lot of people say the two best beginner chameleons are panthers and veileds. It would really depend on your personal preference but these two types seem the easiest to care for (in terms of chameleons at least). I would definitely do your research first but chameleons are so so amazing and there are a lot of great people on here to help you!

PS. I was able to get my cham's whole enclosure for around $500 total, as I bought a lot secondhand and she came with her enclosure, ficus tree, and calcium powder.

PPS. I reccommend @Gingero 's Neptune the Chameleon channel on youtube, there are so so many amazing videos that I found really helpful when researching into getting a chameleon and what a chameleon would need.

Hey!! Welcome! Veiled Chams are definitely the cheapest and easier to care for in my opinion but that is only the chameleon itself. I personally had a terrarium from a friend and that made the total price cheaper. They are all cool and fun! But make sure you have all the requirements so that your cham will be happy and healthy!
I got my female veiled about a month ago and she has been really happy. I mist 2-3 times a day now and have the UVB light timer 12 hrs ON and OFF. I recommend a young one so that they don't have a lot of fear of humans and so it has a longer life with you! Hope you find this very helpful and I hope to see you around!!

I only have one cham and shes a veiled but I did a LOT of research and many friends have had chameleons and have had a lot of trouble with the really expensive ones like the Panther Chameleon which tends to be around $300.

Yes, well they are a lot more expensive so if you wanted one like a Panther Chameleon then you should get a veiled unless you have a very specific reason
NO actually you shouldnt get a Veiled if you want a Panther but can not afford it. Chameleons are expensive... Their care is expensive. So if someone goes with a Veiled because they are cheap even though it is not what they want then they should not have a chameleon in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom