herpology enclosure

txg8gxp

Hi, my name is stephen and I have been out of the herp game for a few years now. After seeing a bearded pygmy I feel in love. I have been doing some reading and plan to setup a 1:2 group around christmas. I was shocked to read that these guys can be kept in glass tanks w/o any issues. So my question for all you pygmy keepers is will the new penn plax herpology classic tank (24x16x18) allow plenty of room to keep them happy and stress free. Thanks in advance for any info.

No advice? I have even thought about a exo terra 24x18x18. Can they be in too big of an enclosure? Seems kinda like a dumb question, but the only dumb question is one that's not asked :). I have a exo terra 12x12x12 that I think is kinda small for a simple pygmy and from what I have read they are more social and I would be concerned about overall health and happyness with only keeping one.

I'm sure there are a few keepers out there who have Pygmy's, I personally am new and only have a baby Panther. Good luck! I also want a Pygmy they are just so cute I want to squish them with hugs, :p.

I use a 10 gallon tank with a screened lid for a trio of pygmys with no issues. Your's should be fine.

What kind of substrate would be best? Is going with hydro balls, charcoil, coco fiber best or alittle overkill? How about lighting, zoomed reptisun 5.0 long tube CF or zilla tropical uvb t5 good? Like most stuff everyone has a opinion, and the more I read through the site the more good/bad info I get on all the above.

What kind of substrate would be best? Is going with hydro balls, charcoil, coco fiber best or alittle overkill? How about lighting, zoomed reptisun 5.0 long tube CF or zilla tropical uvb t5 good? Like most stuff everyone has a opinion, and the more I read through the site the more good/bad info I get on all the above.

I've never had pygs but I do have a nice well planted 30 gal tall terrarium with a screen top with a small computer fan for ventilation that I'm thinking of putting some pygs in. I it think will be very adequate for them. I have hydro balls with a layer of crushed stone and organic soil. Also I have a 5.0 UVB reptisun and a 40 watt basking bulb. Currently I have two large spotted salamanders living in it which I'm torn between moving them so I can add pygs. So many choices! :)

Any reason you used organic soil over say coco fiber? Looks, cost, etc. This is going to be a bad hobby, I thought my SW reef tank was bad. I haven't even strarted putting anything together yet and I'm trying to find ways to use my 75g.
I've never had pygs but I do have a nice well planted 30 gal tall terrarium with a screen top with a small computer fan for ventilation that I'm thinking of putting some pygs in. I it think will be very adequate for them. I have hydro balls with a layer of crushed stone and organic soil. Also I have a 5.0 UVB reptisun and a 40 watt basking bulb. Currently I have two large spotted salamanders living in it which I'm torn between moving them so I can add pygs. So many choices! :)

i had a trio of pgymy's in a 20 gal. I did the hydro then screen, then charcoal, then screen then dirt and leaf litter. After that I decorated, added springtails - which i should have added with the dirt :eek::eek:. Mine were fine for a while, one died so I sent the other two to my sister. I would do it the same now except i would skip the charcoal as it doesn't do much after a short while. Also I did not use uvb as I learned they don't need it.

Just curious, why would they not need uvb. In the wild they hide under leafs too much for much light to get to them or what?

Any reason you used organic soil over say coco fiber? Looks, cost, etc. This is going to be a bad hobby, I thought my SW reef tank was bad. I haven't even strarted putting anything together yet and I'm trying to find ways to use my 75g.

Oh yeah I forgot to add that I put screen over the bio balls and crushed stone before I added the soil so that the soil wouldn't mix with the drainage system.
Also, I actually did a mix of a small amount of coco fiber and the soil so that I could plant the plants in it and have good drainage while maintaining humidity. that the coco fiber wouldn't be too fluffy if it dried out. I used Josh's Frogs as a reference to set up my tank..Pygs seem to have similar care need to dart frogs and there is a step by step video to set up a tank. http://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/tag/vivarium/http://www.joshsfrogs.com

There is a great section on here called Pygmy Enclosures. Have a look there and then shoot back some questions. Lots of info on substrate and lights, and some great pics. I do use a light, either a "used" exoterra 5.0, or a new 2.0 one. Some people don't.

Thanks for the info, and yes I have been able to read several good threads in the pygmy enclosure section. That is why I posted my thread here, and is where I have found some good info on lighting/substrate. But as everyone knows everyone has a opinion and in one thread 5.0uvb is good, in other they say its bad for chams eyes. My main questions on substrate was about using charcoal, it is something I don't see talked about much but alot of frog vivariums use it. Thanks for all the info so far. Hopefully If I can get the adding info I feel I need I should be able to start a thread with my tank build. Then just give it some time for springtails/etc. to start producing. Thanks, Stephen

Ok, I have decided I want to add a small layer of charcoal to my substrate for better long term success of the tank. I need alittle help determining the difference between the different available stuff. All natural wood charcoal http://www.lowes.com/pd_44516-37442...7762_4294937087_?Ns=p_product_quantity_sold|0 aquarium carbon filter media or charcoal from josh'sfrogs http://www.joshsfrogs.com/product/52/26/2-lbs-of-1-2-charcoal I plan to order some springtails aswell, so I may order the tropical culture kit from josh'sfrogs or less someone can point me in another direction. If I do order I could get the charcoal from there aswell, the price is better then aquarium filter media but is the all natural wood charcoal for cooking the same stuff? I would also like to hear some opinions on using charcoal in a seperate layer w/ nylon screen over it versus mixing it in the soil. I would think it would be much more efficient in a seperate layer. How long would the charcoal layer be effective? I understand it would depend on water quality and how much water flows through it, but carbon for aquariums can only absorb so much then it doesn't really do anything anymore. Is this a concern or issue in this application? Sorry for the long post. Thanks

I would honestly skip the Carbon (Charcoal) as it will only work for a short while and then it will start to leach everything it has collected back out into your enclosure, and that includes smells, any heavy metals it has collected or chemicals that may have been introduced into the terrarium by way of plants or water. Carbon, like in aquariums needs to be changed frequently due to the rapid rate of absorbance and imo a planted terrarium is not a fun task to take apart to just to change carbon that you will be back to changing again in a month. It will save you some time and money to just skip the carbon/charcoal. I also noticed that you have a SW aquarium, think of carbon the same way you would if you were to use it there. It only works for so long before you have to replace it.

Thanks for the info, that is what I was worried about. I will take your advice and skip the charcoal layer and just relay on spot cleaning and a good clean up crew. Thanks.
I would honestly skip the Carbon (Charcoal) as it will only work for a short while and then it will start to leach everything it has collected back out into your enclosure, and that includes smells, any heavy metals it has collected or chemicals that may have been introduced into the terrarium by way of plants or water. Carbon, like in aquariums needs to be changed frequently due to the rapid rate of absorbance and imo a planted terrarium is not a fun task to take apart to just to change carbon that you will be back to changing again in a month. It will save you some time and money to just skip the carbon/charcoal. I also noticed that you have a SW aquarium, think of carbon the same way you would if you were to use it there. It only works for so long before you have to replace it.

Ok, I have started the build. I found a exo terra 18x18x18 from a local that was never used for cheap so I picked it up. I will add 1.5" of hydroballs with a layer of nylon screen over it and a thick layer of zilla jungle mix and zilla coco fiber mixed together. Thanks for all the info everyone.

Ok I started my setup, Any advice on something I may have done wrong would be great. I added 1.5" of hydroballs with nylon screen over it and 3" of a mix of forest mix and coco fiber. I plan to add another vine for more climbing room. Live plants are ficus retusa, ivy "mini adam", dracaena, pothos, and fittonia. Light is a exoterra 26w 5.0uvb CF.
DSC01295.jpg

I love it! Lots of "highways" and very densley planted. One question: is the bulb you have linear or a coil bulb? I can't tell from the picture. Coil bulbs are not recommended because they could damage cham eyes. Some people say the new ones don't. I tend to err on the side of caution and use the linear ones.

Oh, sorry. Maybe "CF" means the coil kind? I'm not sure.

I do love the set up though!

yes :( i got the coil one. Good thing I'm not getting the chams soon. Looks like another trip to the local pet shop for a zoo med linear bulb and thanks.

I got all the wrong stuff when I did my first setup. Luckily I kept the boxes and told the store the things I got were inappropriate for chameleons (especially the stuff they pushed on me). Did you find some pygmies for sale yet, or are you still searching?

Back
Top Bottom