Hemipenis Prolapse and Amputation

Any updates on how your boy is doing?
Thank you. Things are still touch and go. His vent is improving slowly but surely. In the morning, he looks like death warmed over. Eyes sunken, lethargic. I take him outside and give him water and he drinks as if he just crossed the Serengeti. I couldn’t believe how much he drank this morning, even with me giving him about 1ml via syringe/mouth. He’s had 2 hornworms per day the past two days, ample water - and he is still just so incredibly thirsty. So I just keep misting with the hose until we are both sick of it it!

He eagerly ate a grasshopper today, but has been turning his nose up to other foods. He looks like he gained a little weight, but still very thin. I will weigh him when I bring him in tonight.

I am trying to prepare myself - as in the mornings it looks bad, but afternoons give me some hope. I just hope he has some more time to enjoy the sunshine without pain. I am thinking his sunken eyes in the AM is pain response - he cant possibly be that dehydrated, he has always had significant showers, especially during treatment.

I did give him .1 ml of Reptaid today, and will do so for the next few days. It supposedly helps with inflammation and pain - I think it definitely helps with appetite and minor infection. I am not seeing infection but I think he would appreciate the other benefits - and if it helps keep infection at bay, all the better.

That being said - it has alcohol in it so i mix it with equal parts water and ample hydration - and only for a few days. I dont want to over medicate him or stress his kidneys.

Looking pretty good tonight. No sunken eyes. This is such a roller coaster. Still very thirsty.

He was 173g at surgery, then dropped to 144g at his 2 week follow up which was 9 days ago. Today we are at 160g, so making some progress. Keep thinking those positive thoughts for us, please.

IMG_8676.jpeg
IMG_8678.jpeg

Donnie’s definitely getting back to a healthier weight. He is still a little thin but much improved in that regard. Outside time and lots of showers have helped all around, tremendously. We’d have had a much harder roaf if it were mid winter.

His vent looks pretty raw still, but making progress. Today I debrided it pretty well, and gently inserted the peroxide qtip in his vent (as shown by vet) to debride just inside, too. One corner of his vent was looking a but pussier than others, and I wanted to clear it off in case infection was setting in. It was looking similar to the last infection. Several more weeks of topical ointment to go. In the photo below, he was debrided and cleaned, but had not yet applied ointment. It always looks a bit more red and puffy after touching it - hoping tomorrow morning it looks a bit better with less puss.

He ate a few silkworms last night with his reptaid, and he will be getting some more of both momentarily. He’s a little clingy lately. Such a good boy, I swear. All that I am putting him through with the painful peroxide and debridement - and he doesn’t even flinch. He still eagerly comes to me and often refuses to return to his tree. I love this little boy so much!

IMG_8693.jpeg

IMG_8698.jpeg

Donnie’s definitely getting back to a healthier weight. He is still a little thin but much improved in that regard. Outside time and lots of showers have helped all around, tremendously. We’d have had a much harder roaf if it were mid winter.

His vent looks pretty raw still, but making progress. Today I debrided it pretty well, and gently inserted the peroxide qtip in his vent (as shown by vet) to debride just inside, too. One corner of his vent was looking a but pussier than others, and I wanted to clear it off in case infection was setting in. It was looking similar to the last infection. Several more weeks of topical ointment to go. In the photo below, he was debrided and cleaned, but had not yet applied ointment. It always looks a bit more red and puffy after touching it - hoping tomorrow morning it looks a bit better with less puss.

He ate a few silkworms last night with his reptaid, and he will be getting some more of both momentarily. He’s a little clingy lately. Such a good boy, I swear. All that I am putting him through with the painful peroxide and debridement - and he doesn’t even flinch. He still eagerly comes to me and often refuses to return to his tree. I love this little boy so much!

View attachment 342256

View attachment 342257
Glad to hear he is gaining weight! Keep it up buggy!

This is the area I am watching more closely for infection. This is post debridement but you can see its a bit more yellow and funky than the other side, which despite how it appears, is healing up well. The white spot in the middle is urates - the peroxide almost always causes him to poop - which sure makes for a mess before I can apply his ointment!

IMG_8699.jpeg

We have an appt with Dr Gold on Tuesday (4 days) before I leave for 2 weeks. Donnie is improving and his vent is slowly but surely healing, but this is going almost exactly like 1 year ago in that one corner of his vent looks like it may be infected, and the other side has what I assume is a piece of dead tissue protruding. Not kidding when he had the same exact issue after last year’s amputation! All this despite oral antibiotics, and twice a day wound cleaning, treating, and topical antibiotics! I am glad he’s gaining weight and regaining his strength. Fingers crossed for us.

When I say he is a mama’s boy, I mean he is a - mama’s - BOY. Happily climbed up to my shoulder even after I cleaned and treated his butt!

IMG_8735.jpeg

I wish I was there to keep him for you.
Thank you Jann! The crew would be lucky to have you! Thankfully, my sister is going to stay at my house to take care of Donnie and the crew. My dog is very old and in his final months and having mobility issues, along with Donnie’s needs - she will have her hands full! But she is capable and an animal lover herself!

I’m so nervous for you! You must be so stressed going on vacation with fragile animals at home. Please enjoy yourself! I am so happy Donnie is doing so well and send continuing strength prayers for both your babies. 💝

Donnie’s back up to 170g, which is about where he was pre-surgery. We aren’t out of the woods, though. While his vent is improving, it def looks infected with a piece of tissue sticking out. Exactly like last year. We have an appt in 2 days with the vet, and I’m sure we will be back on oral antibiotics + topical. I’ll be home for his first 2 doses, and then fingers crossed for my sister who will be administering the remaining days. I’ll have to stock up on hornworms for her.

Unfortunately, we had to put our dog down yesterday, a few months shy of his 14th birthday. In a way, I am relieved that it happened while we were home and able to say goodbye. Keep those positive vibes going for Donnie, please. I am shocked at his turn-around, but we still have some fighting to do.

Back
Top Bottom