Hemipenis Prolapse and Amputation

It’s been almost exactly one year since his hemipenal amputation. They only removed half at that time, and Dr. Gold warned me that Donnie would be more susceptible to issues around his vent. We did have two bouts of infection crop up, that were remedied by careful would care (silver sulf cream should be in everyone’s arsenal), and sometimes antibiotics.

Last week I noticed his vent was inflamed and possibly infected again. Wound care didnt improve the situation so back to the vet we went. Dr. Gold determined his other side was infected and he needed surgery again. Yesterday Donnie had a hemipenal cyst removed, but its unclear if they fullly amputated. We have a follow up in two weeks where I can get some clarification. This time his stitches need to be removed rather than absorbed.

His vent looks like someone got bad lip filler injections! Quite puffy and swollen, as to be expected. He has several stitches and is more uncomfortable this time around. He is settling back down but clearly uncomfortable! 2 weeks can’t pass fast enough. Photos below, FYI they may be graphic for some!

Donnie will be 7 in October. Not a set back we need, but my boy is tough and still has lots of interest in the world around him. He is receiving Baytril (enroflaxin) for 2 weeks, plus twice daily applications of 2% Mupirocin ointment, a Neosporin like topical treatment, for two weeks. Last time around he was prescribed silver sulf instead, so I thought the change in ointment was interesting. He’s splitting his time between outside and indoors while he heals, and very long showers outside (15+ mins). He is very thirsty post op! You would think all of this handling and treatment would make him reclusive and avoidant of humans, but he is still a mamas boy who comes running when he sees me.

WOUND PHOTO WARNING…
….
….

….
IMG_8146.jpeg

Not sure if this is all helpful to someone in the future, but I hope so. At our vet, both procedures were appx $150/each, including meds. His follow up visits or related issues have been $27. All without insurance. Not exactly inexpensive, but affordable to me. Sharing the price as I know that is a limitation or concern for some when considering the need for vet treatment. If I had the insurance ($75/ year), my costs would likely be around $10-15. If Donnie werent so old, I would have reupped his insurance (there is a 2 week period before you can use the benefits).

Best of luck with Donnie! He’s lucky to have lived with you!

Do you know was it bacteria or fungus that was involved in the infection?

Best of luck with Donnie! He’s lucky to have lived with you!

Do you know was it bacteria or fungus that was involved in the infection?
Bacterial, I believe he said. My husband took him for the initial visit so I am relying on his notes. I didnt get to see the doc when I dropped/picked up, but will get more info at our 2 week checkup

Poor guy. What a crappy thing to happen. Of course he’s going to run to his momma! You take such wonderful care of him and he feels whatever the chameleon equivalent of love is for you. I hope he has a very uneventful and super fast healing and recovery. 💗

Wow you're doing a great job with the continued after care of Donnie's original prolapse. It makes sense that the area would be susceptible to infection. Hoping he gets lots more time with you given your great care and attention. ♥️

8 days post surgery, things are slowly healing. Donnie finished his antibiotics yesterday, and still has a week of 2x daily applications of an RX antibiotic ointment. He just pooped today, without much discomfort. He’s been getting primarily silkworms for now to keep things soft and easy to digest.

One more week until stitches come out and vet check up. He’s been a lot slower this week, as to be excepted, and is very clingy, but seems to be healing up. He has always loved a good shower but he is especially thirsty this week. Lots of nice, looooong rain showers in the garden for him to drink, and I always add .1-.2ml water to his meds to ensure his kidneys are supported before bed. Now that meds are done, showers are plenty. Still going outside during the day but I bring him in at night - don’t want anything nibbling on his wounds (I check for ants regularly).

Fingers crossed, I really hope we make it to (and beyond!) 7 years old in October!

IMG_8260.jpeg

Yes that's what we cal vet wrap. It sticks only to itself but could stick to a scab.
It can also get tighter on its own with movement so be sure not to go too tight or it can cut off circulation I don't want to scare from using it because it is amazing stuff just bee sure you are watching him with it. You will figure out the perfect tightness really quick I just wanted you to be aware.

2 more doses of Baytril to go, and about a week of SS cream 1x a day. Finally starting to see some marked improvement in the area.

View attachment 327847
View attachment 327850

Donnie is hard to read. Since adding the ladder, he “sploots” a lot and lays on his belly to let his limbs dangle. When I approach he hops up like personal fitness trainer! He is very active outside, and his appetite is voracious. He has a “go gettum” attitude and a lot of pep when he wants to. So I think he is feeling better, but just enjoys a good sploot now and then. I, too, love a good sploot.
View attachment 327848

Last night was pretty comical. He was basking, and I guess his cream was chilly. I put it on and he popped up and started scratching his butt (quite accurately) with his hind legs, and arching his back. I cant imagine it was a pain response, but very similar to the “applying cold sunscreen to the lower back” medical reaction.

View attachment 327849
Looks great I'm so glad he is healing nicely. He is probably itching because it's healing so good that's awesome prayers for continued healing for you both!!!

2.5 months since prolapse / amputation. Donnie’s doing well - Starting to patrol his area again. He is very eager to eat and drink. Pooping normally. I will still keep tabs on him for infection or related issues, but for now, he seems to be mostly healed up!

Have you ever seen a prettier butt?!
View attachment 329808

And a full shed, too, just in time for his 6th bday next month!

View attachment 329806🥰
Yay so excited for you two! He is beautiful btw.

Back
Top Bottom