Hemipenis Prolapse and Amputation

I just realized what the date was so I guess I was a "little" late to the party lol I always forget to look at the date especially when I go to new posts lol anyway I'm still glad he made it.

2 week check up - good news and bad. I was concerned a out Donnie’s weight, as over the past few days he’s looked very thin and frail (despite eating daily silkworms during meds). Typically he gains weight during these periods, but he has lost a whopping 30g since 7/28!! His diet has consisted of primarily silkworms, for two reasons: easier digestion/better hydration/softer poops while he heals, and I use them for medication administration. Once or twice a week he’d also get a large bird grasshopper or a few med dubia.

Dr. Gold wants me to double his calorie intake for the next month, now that he’s off oral antibiotics. He is still getting topical antibiotics for another 4-6 weeks, but Dr. Gold said he is healing well and no signs of infection! He had 4 stitches removed today - typically
This procedure only requires 1 stitch, if that, but Donnie’s was particularly vascular.

So good news is we are on the mend, but these 2 weeks hve been tough on him. He will be 7 years old in 6 weeks!

2 week check up - good news and bad. I was concerned a out Donnie’s weight, as over the past few days he’s looked very thin and frail (despite eating daily silkworms during meds). Typically he gains weight during these periods, but he has lost a whopping 30g since 7/28!! His diet has consisted of primarily silkworms, for two reasons: easier digestion/better hydration/softer poops while he heals, and I use them for medication administration. Once or twice a week he’d also get a large bird grasshopper or a few med dubia.

Dr. Gold wants me to double his calorie intake for the next month, now that he’s off oral antibiotics. He is still getting topical antibiotics for another 4-6 weeks, but Dr. Gold said he is healing well and no signs of infection! He had 4 stitches removed today - typically
This procedure only requires 1 stitch, if that, but Donnie’s was particularly vascular.

So good news is we are on the mend, but these 2 weeks hve been tough on him. He will be 7 years old in 6 weeks!

Oh - and for those who avoid the vet or are concerned with costs - today’s checkup and stitch removal was $0. Typically a follow up at my vet is $27.

What a journey! Stay strong and Keep healing little old man! 🤞his age says so much about your care. It’s wonderful 🥰

Your pists

Your posts have been so helpful. My 20 year old daughter got Milo 16 mths ago. She's away. This week Milo had a hemipenil prolapse and he's actually been unwell and stopped eating awhile ago. Poor guy, one more thing. Suggested to me on another forum was to try black soldier fly larvae. He ate 5! This is huge as last time he ate was Aug 2 and that was one fly. I think it was weeks before that. They did an xray and suspect metabolic bone disease. Then the prolapse. The vet removed some shedding and a sperm plug. The tip had already darkened despite my efforts to keep it lubricated with steril lubricant. The vet saw us Thursday. She tried the sugar patch. She needs to amputate the dead skin and likely all of it since surgery is set for Tuesday. Our costs here in Vancouver BC Canada are higher. It was 300$ two weeks ago for first vet visit at an emergency dr. Two days later at a reptile vet near us $450 with xray. This is funny we always thought Milo was a boy. The first emergency vet told my daughter he was a girl. The second vet agreed and did the xray to check for egg bound- gave us calcuim meds and a multi vitamin. Then days later the hemipenil prolapse.....back to being a boy🤦‍♀️ these are the people who want to operate on our guy! They want to attempt local freezing and mild sedation. If he moves too much full anesthesia but huge risks. The quote if local freezing is $586. I'm glad to see him eat today. He isn't climbing we took away high climbing opportunities in case of injury as he is very weak, clumsy and unstable. He shows zero desire to climb. Every morning these last few days I pray he's still alive. Im worried about the surgery. Unsure after reading Donnie’s story that Milo is strong enough to handle the long road to recovery. We are headed away Aug 30-Sept 6 and a friend is watching him. Huge responsibility if lots of after care. Just so sad. He's only about a year and a half.

Your pists

Your posts have been so helpful. My 20 year old daughter got Milo 16 mths ago. She's away. This week Milo had a hemipenil prolapse and he's actually been unwell and stopped eating awhile ago. Poor guy, one more thing. Suggested to me on another forum was to try black soldier fly larvae. He ate 5! This is huge as last time he ate was Aug 2 and that was one fly. I think it was weeks before that. They did an xray and suspect metabolic bone disease. Then the prolapse. The vet removed some shedding and a sperm plug. The tip had already darkened despite my efforts to keep it lubricated with steril lubricant. The vet saw us Thursday. She tried the sugar patch. She needs to amputate the dead skin and likely all of it since surgery is set for Tuesday. Our costs here in Vancouver BC Canada are higher. It was 300$ two weeks ago for first vet visit at an emergency dr. Two days later at a reptile vet near us $450 with xray. This is funny we always thought Milo was a boy. The first emergency vet told my daughter he was a girl. The second vet agreed and did the xray to check for egg bound- gave us calcuim meds and a multi vitamin. Then days later the hemipenil prolapse.....back to being a boy🤦‍♀️ these are the people who want to operate on our guy! They want to attempt local freezing and mild sedation. If he moves too much full anesthesia but huge risks. The quote if local freezing is $586. I'm glad to see him eat today. He isn't climbing we took away high climbing opportunities in case of injury as he is very weak, clumsy and unstable. He shows zero desire to climb. Every morning these last few days I pray he's still alive. Im worried about the surgery. Unsure after reading Donnie’s story that Milo is strong enough to handle the long road to recovery. We are headed away Aug 30-Sept 6 and a friend is watching him. Huge responsibility if lots of after care. Just so sad. He's only about a year and a half.
I hope he pulls through fingers crossed for you🤞🤞🤞

Your pists

Sorry to hear. Their inability to sex him at 1.5years old, and with an xray, would have me looking for another vet. Donnie had local anesthesia and one stitch. I dont know the process but it sounded like a quick cut/snip. But if you arent comfortable or confident in the vet, def look for a second opinion asap. Hoping for the best for you both!

Donnie ate 2 grasshoppers, 2 silks, and a large hornworm yesterday. No surprise that he wasn’t interested in food today! But he did enjoy his nightly silkworm snack! His weight is really worrying me, so I am aglad he has a bit of an appetite.

His butt is pretty raw since the vets. We are cleaning and treating 2x a day - it will take a few days to see some improvement. I noticed a fly on his butt (that kept returning) today - so I peroxided, treated, and wrapped his butt. He doesnt stay outside after dark (while healing), but I do bring him out during the day. I guess since it is raw right now, they are attracted to it. They were not when it was scabbed over (Dr. g debrided it).

IMG_8443.jpeg

I don’t consider myself a pessimist, but definitely a realist… and the reality is, I don’t think my boy has enough fight left in him to get well. He looks so incredibly thin and frail - his cheeks sunken in, the ridges visible in his arms, back, and legs. I can’t believe he has lost so much weight, our routine has been the same as always, and for 2 weeks of meds, he still ate 2-3 silks per day, plus large grasshoppers and dubias sprinkled throughout those 2 weeks.

He drinks as if he just crossed the desert. Ive always given him long showers and extra water with meds. Even now, he goes outside in the evenings and gets 15+ minute heavy showers each day. If its raining, he is outdoors for hours of rain… but when I start misting, he literally dives for the closest leaf to drink from! Tonight I misted with the hose for 30 minutes - heavy, fat rain drops falling from the screen top. Not only did he drink the whole time, as if he couldnt be quenched, but he found the areas where the water ran down in streams and drank big, fast gulps the whole time.

He still seemed thirsty, so I gave him 1.5ml of water (spilled a lot), plus .5ml of omnivorecare. I wont give it every day, but he refused food today and is just so incredibly thin, I want to get something in his stomach.

Yesterday he did eat 2 or 3 superworms, and the prior day, a grasshopper and supers. He ate like he was at a buffet on Saturday.

His butt still looks rough, but Dr Gold said it was scabs and not infection. He nipped the skin a tiny bit when removing stitches (cant imagine how he could avoid it). Definitely puss and scabs, but all in all it looks better each day. Last time around, it took about a month to see major improvement, and Dr G expected 4-6 weeks of antibiotic ointment this time around.

Its breaking my heart that he is suffering, and if this is the end of his time, I am sad that it was spent stressful and painful for him. He is sweet as pie with me, despite it all. He knows I am trying to help him, but its unpleasant for him nonetheless. I had hoped, and believed, we would see 7 and beyond. My boy is usually full of life and energy!

I leave for 2 weeks at the end of the month and I am seriously stressing about leaving him.

Donnie’s butt today - first photo is prior to his shower and debridement of the scabs (the yellow crusty stuff). Second is after peroxide, followed by a long shower and gentle debridement of the (now soft) scabs. Reapply the topical antibiotics (Mupirocin 2%). He gets ointment 2x a day but I only really debride and use peroxide with his evening showers.

Dr. G told me to watch for localized swelling in his pouch behind his vent where his hemipenes would be.
IMG_8521.jpeg

IMG_8524.jpeg

And tonight pre-shower.

IMG_8498.jpeg

Thank you, I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. I know our time is limited as he nears 7, and we were blessed to have this extra year together, but I am also praying he pulls through. When his time comes, I want it to be on his terms, on a sunny branch, with no pain or stress!

I can't even imagine how hard this is I'm not looking forward to this kind of stuff. im so sorry you both are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Prayers for very fast healing and weight gain!!!

Back
Top Bottom