Help with my chameleon I’m new to this

I just started with this chameleon thing I got my veiled chameleon yesterday I need help if I’m taking good care of him and I also want to no what gender he is

Please answer these questions in as much detail as possible and post a pic of their entire enclosure. In the future, try to only have one thread going. It can get tricky trying to keep track where info is posted.

I also have a ton of YouTube videos that cover a lot of common chameleon questions you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

62A5A19A-EB41-43B7-A610-4DCFA9B9B980.jpeg

I feed him crickets it’s a zoo med starter kit screen cage at night the temp is about 70 degrees i use no real plants I live in central Texas i mist and soon I will start using a dropper and misting I use calcium powder with the crickets I need help finding which gender it is it is a veiled chameleon it I haven’t handled my chameleon just yet

Please answer these questions in as much detail as possible and post a pic of their entire enclosure. In the future, try to only have one thread going. It can get tricky trying to keep track where info is posted.

I also have a ton of YouTube videos that cover a lot of common chameleon questions you can check out here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3n4S2GRkOGfk2U8-xhaw6Q/

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
I feed him crickets it’s a zoo med starter kit screen cage at night the temp is about 70 degrees i use no real plants I live in central Texas i mist and soon I will start using a dropper and misting I use calcium powder with the crickets I need help finding which gender it is it is a veiled chameleon it I haven’t handled my chameleon just yet

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
I use cgl bulb daylight heat build and uvb spiral bulb

Okay so I really want to help you and I know you're super excited and eager to get your new cham setup right. But I need to you take some time and really answer the questions in as MUCH DETAIL as possible. This includes specific brands of calcium, how many crickets you're feeding, basking temps, etc.

All the questions I posted above are SUPER important and I can't give you advice or help until I know the full picture.

If you don't know the answer, that's okay. Just say so, so I know you're not ignoring the question.

Welcome to the forums, congrats on the new chameleon, and I'm looking forward to your answers :)

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
I do not know what gender my chamleon is, i got it yester day from petsmart it is a veiled chamleon
I havent handled my chamleon at all
i feed it crickets from petsmart i usally feed it 2 to 3 crickets per day split between 2 time points they are the bigger kind of crickets at petsmart
Since my chameleon is a baby i dust the crickets every day with zoomed calcium powder and i use reptivite twice a month
I made my own dripper i have used it yet though so i mist his ensclsoure 4 times a day spread out
he hasnt been tested for parsites he also hasnt dropped a dropping yet
i know nothing about it except he is a shy petite chamleon
i do not the humidty levels i just spray 4 times a day and i am soon gonna put a dropper

CAGE INFO:

Screen cage i bough zoomed starter kit 16x16x30
i am using daylight 100 watt bulb it came with pack it also comes with spiral zoomed uvb bulb i also us a cgl lamp
the tempture is abou 90 degrees in morning and 70 at night by the way in farenheight
the height of hiscage is set on the floor his cage is on the floor is on the second level of my hosue no air trafficking i have air filter and good air systems.
i live in austin texas

It would be really helpful if you could fill out the form exactly. But I suppose we can only take what we get!

See my corrections in red.

I do not know what gender my chamleon is, i got it yester day from petsmart it is a veiled chamleon

It is not recommended to get chameleons from PetSmart. To determine the gender we need clear photos. Not through screen.

I havent handled my chamleon at all

Good. Still you just got him/her you are going to want to leave them alone to get settled.

i feed it crickets from petsmart i usally feed it 2 to 3 crickets per day split between 2 time points they are the bigger kind of crickets at petsmart

I would recommend buying crickets online. Petstore crickets can carry parasites. You are going to want to feed him/her small-medium gut loaded crickets. You need to feed the crickets leafy greens and an assortment of veggies. Its also recommended to include some form of commercial gutload, such as Bug Burger or Cricket Crack (Found on amazon)

Since my chameleon is a baby i dust the crickets every day with zoomed calcium powder and i use reptivite twice a month

You are going to need 3 supplements. Calcium WITH d3, Calcium WITHOUT d3, and Multivitamin WITHOUT d3 ( I use reptivite ) .

Dusting schedule:

Calcium WITHOUT d3 every day
Calcium WITH d3 ONCE every other week
Reptivite WITHOUT d3 ONCE every other week.

I made my own dripper i have used it yet though so i mist his ensclsoure 4 times a day spread out

I would mist for 2-4 minutes 2-3 times per day. Once in the morning, A midday one (if you feel its needed) and an evening mist.

he hasnt been tested for parsites he also hasnt dropped a dropping yet

I would test him/her asap. Once he poops, take it to the vet within 24 hours.

i know nothing about it except he is a shy petite chamleon
i do not the humidty levels i just spray 4 times a day and i am soon gonna put a dropper

You need to get a hygrometer. It is very important to know the humidity levels in your chameleons cage.

CAGE INFO:

Screen cage i bough zoomed starter kit 16x16x30

Sadly this kit is no good. The screen cage (NOT the things that come with it) will suffice for a few months, but you will need a bigger cage as he grows.

i am using daylight 100 watt bulb it came with pack it also comes with spiral zoomed uvb bulb i also us a cgl lamp

Both of these lights are not good for your chameleons. You are going to need to get a normal 60-70 watt household bulb, and then a Zoomed 5.0 T5ho Flourecent fixture (The long tube, not the spiral)

Lighting very important. Switch his/her lights ASAP.

Absolutely no lights on at night.

the tempture is abou 90 degrees in morning and 70 at night by the way in farenheight

His/her basking spot should be 80-85. Ambient should be 70-74. Nighttime temps should be 68-72.

the height of hiscage is set on the floor his cage is on the floor is on the second level of my hosue no air trafficking i have air filter and good air systems.
i live in austin texas

I would set his cage on a table/stand. The top of his cage should be a bit above your head.

Gutloading + Food Guide sheets:
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-01-09 at 6.55.10 PM.png

To add to @Ares05's post...

- If your chameleon has spurs/bumps on the back feet it is a male. No bumps it is a female.
- Please look into getting other types of feeders such as dubia roaches, silkworms, superworms, black solider fly larvae, wax worms, hornworms, etc. Variety is very important.

You'll want to make these changes ASAP starting with the correct UVB lights and supplement schedule.

Dropping in a lot of helpful videos

For questions about correct temps and light schedule:

For questions about supplements:

For questions about gutloading:

For questions about adding live plants:

For questions about misting, hydration, humidity levels, dehydration, etc.:

Back
Top Bottom