HELP --- She won't dig!

wow, thankyou! that is one of the best replies I've had! other people are saying I should not have a chameleon and I am not taking good care of her. Thankyou, That means a lot. She is going to the vets tonight. I was wondering if you knew that after the oxytocin injection, do the eggs come straight out or do they take time? thanks for the reply! :D

After the oxytocin shot she should start to dig that day or within 24 hours. If not the vet can give her more than one shot. She will dig as normal and need privacy as normal but it should happen within a timeframe rather than wondering when she will do it!

okay well shes struggling to climb a bit, shes really heavy and sits on the floor A LOT! she just wanders around down there, I have watched her on my webcam. she doesnt notice me...do you think she will be done soon? the temperature is 28 celcius in the day and around 18 at night. I give her 8 bugs a day, no more and no less. She has been eating again since Wednesday.

oh and it is 63 days since mating and 11 days until she has to go back to the vets.

So basically she has 11 days to lay before an x-ray and possibly an injection.

If she's having trouble getting around then that's not a good sign. She should be fit and able to dig a hole. I would go back to your vet, is he/she an experienced reptile vet?

I dont think she specializes in reptiles...but were going back to the vets in 8 days. She is eating 8 crickets every 2 days and is sprayed twice a day. it is 30 degrees in her laying bin and 19 at night. She doesnt like being picked up, so i feed her in there. I think it is just because she has eggs, she doesn't like her tummy touched. Thanks for the reply!

The best possible thing to do is leave her alone. My female became egg bound after digging and laying only a few eggs.

She went to the vets where they gave her oxytocin. this did not work. We went back again and the vet said it is unlikely to work if it didnt the first time. We opted to give her one more and she started laying about 10 minutes later! She didnt lay them all and had to be operated on in the end.

The quicker she gets oxytocin the better in my opinion and if possible give more than one dose if it does not work the first time. They can pull through the operation and be well and she wont lay eggs again. The problem with these cases is the faster you act the better but you are never sure wether they are going to lay themselves at all!

Good luck

Do you have her in a trash can bin at all times now? I bet she won't like that. This has probably been asked already but can't you fit a 12 inch square tub in her normal enclosure? My girl did not like the trash can laying bin but laid fine in her enclosure.

That's what the vet said, but she also said Iyar best to leave her alone for now but if she hasn't laid in 8 days tomorrow then we will have to sort something out.

Ok well she will be happier and more comfortable in her real home wouldn't she? It's a shame you can't put her laying bin in there. I hope she lays soon and all is well. This threads been going on way too long :D

I checked her when I got home just now...
she looks the same, but she has now got some blue triangles coming down from her spine spikes and on her casque.
Also a little yellow patch of discolored skin about an inch away from her bum, om her tail. Only small...
Anything to be worried about? Just some observations :D

Awww, she's growing up so fast!!!! :p
I think she's getting soooo much closer...but I don't want to disturb her when I
feed her, should I leave her alone for another 2 days before feeding her? Thank you for replying and helping me :)

No worries :) I know how stressful egg laying is and how much patients it takes! I just had my first experience with it last December and I think my girl is going to Kay again in the next week or so.

Feed her if she will eat. If the eggs are fertile sge will spend a lot of her food intake on creating healthy babies so its important to give her nutrition and calcium at this time.

Afterwards

I think the advice everyone is offering on here is absolutely wonderful, just out of curiosity is there anything that StickyPad should be doing to prepare for when her girl finally does lay her clutch. Like for instance does such a long labor require that any extra care be given to her cham i.e extra vitamins/supplements or additional heating/moisture after the laying. Also for StickyPad, it sounds like you are doing everything possible to ensure your girl pulls through this ordeal have you ensured that everything is set for when the eggs finally arrive i.e heating/moisture. I apologise if any of these seem like dumb questions, I am fairly new to the cham world and was only wondering what others have done under this same situation.

O don't worry, those questions are actually quite interesting! I feed her 8 crickets every 2 days covered in calcium one day and vitamin the next. She is kept at 30 degrees all day, and 20 at night. Also I'm going to get the tubs ready for the eggs tonight, so I will only have to add water to the incubation substrate. She sits on the floor all day and sleeps up on the yucca. I think she is really close to laying now! She has more colours like blue and that. Vets again in 6 days if she hasn't laid and 68 days since mating today. Thanks for the replies! I will come and let you know when she's laid :)

Back
Top Bottom