Help.. Reddish-orange stuff at bottom of cage?

KiNGCHaM707

So I went to clean out my Chams cage today and noticed that there was some reddish-orange splattered stuff at the bottom of his cage.. Anyone have an idea as to what it could be? I hope to god its not his urates... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll load some pics in a bit..

Here's what I'm talking about..

photo-1.jpg

It does look like a runny urate. I think it was Elizadots who said "every chameleon is entitled to one bad poop or pee". If the condition persists, then I would maybe get concerned. See what the next urate looks like and take if from there. Don't panic yet. He does not look dehydrated from that pic.

No problem! I don't know what it is about chameleons, but they just worry the crap out of you, don't they??

One of the repashy supplements causes orange/red stuff....Let me see if I can find the thread that talked about that. If you're using repashy, that might just be the cause.

**edited to add**

Here's a link to the post: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blood-cage-floor-87091/#post815634

The supplement in question is: Repahsy Cal +

Oooooooohhhhhh.... That's what it is then! I use th Repahsy cricket duster.. Whoops! Sorry for the false alarm people! Thanks for all the great advice though!

And yes! Chameleons DO worry the heck out me.. Their needs are so specific I'm always so worried I might be doing something wrong lol!

That's good! Don't worry about the alarm, it wasn't false at all. This is relatively new info and any owner should be concerned about something that looks like blood in the cage. Repashy really should put a warning on the label (she says hoping that Mr. Repashy will read this!).

I sort of think our chameleons take delight in the concern they cause us...

red/orange in urate

Imo, looks pathogenic to me. Just to be safe, I would post entire help form, and prep cage for an immediate fecal. Imo, yellow in the urate is not usually a cause for immediate panic, usually related soley to issues of hydration. Imo, orange/ red in the urates is more often than not a sign of visible (significant) red blood cells in the urate( gross hematuria) which is a different matter altogether and imo, cause for immediate concern, especially if it is splotchy, imo indicates possibility of clotting. Imo red blood cells in the urate, most often indicates bleeding from the liver/ kidneys, usually from osmotic lysis or some form of organ perforation, usually from parasites or some form of over supplementation. It could just be a matter of bleeding intestines, but it could also indicate bleeding from the liver/ kidneys, if that is the case, imo, every second head start towards identification/ treatment/ recovery, will greatly improve its chances for a complete and long term recovery. Imo, better safe than sorry, you would feel horrible if you found out that your animal might have been saved if you just acted sooner ( trust me, its a horrible feeling, one that I have had to deal with myself at least a couple of times). Most vets will accept a fecal without an office visit, usually $40 or less, imo money well worth the piece of mind and other info it provides. Jmo

Last edited:
Repashy cal plus is a full house low dose multivite containing both d3 and preformed vitamin A. I say low dose because it is approx 10% the potency of reptivite. It would be my prefered recomended regiman for winter animals or animals that are kept exclusively indoors or on a less than optimum diet. Since it does contain d3 , I do not recomend it for any animals that get any amount of outdoor uvb. Excess d3 accumulates in the liver, and can take weeks or even mths to flush out, meanwhile risking liver kidney issues, so I don't recommend it where outdoor animals are concerned. For animals that get outdoor uvb, i recommend stf minerall outdoor formula or any plain cal and gutloading with vite all. Imo any supp even plain cal can cause serious metabolic issues when given excessively. It should be noted that I am still posting from my phone and have not read the entire thread. I'm not big on preformed A, but recognize it may be a better choice for many keepers. I used repashy cal plus for 6 yrs and never had a hematuric urate that could be attributed to oversupplementation. Cal plus is not species specific, although it would be nice, I don't think it is the manufacturers job or practical to determine the exact dose for all scenarios/all species. Imo, like all supps the most important ingredient is owner awareness of the issues, including what you are giving,why and how much of it is required. Repashy cal plus is a quality product and suitable as a stand alone regimen when given appropriately with otherwise balanced husbandry. I dontbelieve it is alans or any manufacturers job to give a complete course on species specific husbandry for all applications. Imo, they operate under the assumption that anyone keeping a rare or exotic reptile has taken the steps to learn the basics of supplementation before offering any product. Imo, this is why all directions for any packed product be taken with a grain of salt. Jmo disclaimer, just an expression, don't give salt to your chams lol

Last edited:
Just to be clear I often recomend cal plus when appropriate. Imo, based on a single otherwise healthy non gravid xanth an appropriate dose would be one matchead a week for a 75 gram animal, assuming the rest of the husbandry is reasonably well balanced. It should also be noted that since it is full house and low dose meaning gven frequently that imo, it is not appropriate to offer other vitamin fortified products with it other than natural cham healthy foods.offering other vitamins with it will only screw up the A/ D3 balance and possibly oversupp. Jmo

This kind of happemd to me but i noticed when my crickets used the bathroom at the bottom of the tank and when i misted it did that....not sure if its the same thing though

Back
Top Bottom