Help plzzz!!Why is he closing his eye?

Madgreek19

K heres the story, I have a 4 month old panther, he never use to close his eyes during daylight hrs until yesterday.

yes i had the cfl uvb, i read that they could dmg your chams eyes so i turned off his uvb light rushed to petsmart and got the reptisun/w 5.0 reptiglo tube uvb

I used the cfl uvb for 2 weeks never seemed to be bothered by it untill yesterday while he was basking, which leads to my next question- would they close their eyes while they bask?

so far iv only seen him close his right eye and it looks like hes not opening them all the way maybe 75% open except when hes eating, now as im typing hes chilling under some leafs with his right eye closed

Thanks^^

Attachments

• IMG_0084.jpg
    IMG_0084.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 94
It is most likely not the CF bulb, but I recomend the linear anyhow and think its better;)
Closing eyes during the day is NEVER normal.

Please fill this out, and we can see what the problem may be.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - male ambanja panther, in my care for 2 weeks

Handling - handling him for the first time this weekend friday and saturday

Feeding - Im feeding my cham 1/4-1/2 inch crickets- i put 10 in a home made cup feeder, I took a sprite bottle cut out a large opening and hot glued aluminum mesh to the back of the inside of the bottle at 10:20am- i gut load them with fresh fruits and veggies (oranges, grapes, apples, carrots, greens)

Supplements - i use repcal cal w/o d3 every feeding and cal w/d3 2x a month and vitamins 2x a month but im about to get the repashy cal+ and start gutloading my crickets with bugburger and dinofuel mixed.

Watering - I use a mistking, i mist 4x a day for 2 min each misting, i assume hes drinking his urates are white and sometimes i get my hand mister and he drinks from the bottle

Fecal Description - his poop seems normal, white urates and brown, the weirdest poop iv seen from him was watery heres a pic https://www.chameleonforums.com/dont-think-his-poop-should-look-like-75933/ and he has never been tested for parasites

History - hes only been closing his right eye and it doesnt seem like hes opening them all the way ill post some pics tomorrow first thing in the am

Cage Info:

Cage Type - I have a 16x16x30 screen cage

Lighting - I used the reptisun 5.0 cfl uvb up till yesterday and switched to a zoomed reptisun terrarium hood with a 5.0 reptiglo uvb bulb, and i use a 40 watt blue tint zoomed basking bulb, I have my lights on a timer they turn on at 9am and turn off at 9pm.

Temperature- his basking temp ranges from 85-88, im not sure what the bottom of the tank is the room temp is set to 73 and theres alot of leafs in his cage life and fake, overnight temp is 75-78, i use the zoomed needle thermometer.

Humidity - after misting 80-100 and goes down to 45, im not really doing anything just letting my mistking go to work but i saw it go down a little more than usual so i rapped 2 sides with saran wrap, i use the zoomed needle hydrometer.

Plants - I just have a pothos plant

Placement - hes in my room not alot of people come in, i have a ceiling fan i rarely turn on and hes on the opposite side of the room where the air vent is, the top of the cage is 51 inches from the floor.

Location - Georgia

Hes closing his right eye
Will be posting some pictures in the morning

I dont see any "redflags". Everything seems spot on.
I would throw an extra long mist cycle in, if there is somthing in his eyes, it will give him more of a chance to get it out. Maybe switch the third misting to 5min instead.
Sorry I cant be of anymore help:eek:
Maybe the pictures will show something that someone can comment on.
It could have been the light.

nothing throws out flags for me also..only things that come to my mind..
1. I know this will be hard but check inside his mouth. Check for anything that doesnt look right. if your unsure take a picture of it and post it here.

if you dont see anything from #1
2. Id take his next fresh poo and him in for analysis.

What does his humidity gauge read on average (between mistings)? Does the cage fully dry out?

here are some images of his eyes, havnt seen him close his eyes so far, for taking pic of the inside of his mouth i waited for him to do this yawning thing he does and hell puff up the part underneath his mouth dont know why hes doing that either, also i dont wanna force his mouth open, dont wanna hurt him by mistake.

the humidity drops to 40, trying to keep it up by putting saran wrap on 2 sides of his cage and also added a humidifier in my room but doesnt seem to work

If these pics wont help ill call the vet and see whats going on, thanks^^

here are some images of his eyes, havnt seen him close his eyes so far, for taking pic of the inside of his mouth i waited for him to do this yawning thing he does and hell puff up the part underneath his mouth dont know why hes doing that either, also i dont wanna force his mouth open, dont wanna hurt him by mistake.

the humidity drops to 40, trying to keep it up by putting saran wrap on 2 sides of his cage and also added a humidifier in my room but doesnt seem to work

If these pics wont help ill call the vet and see whats going on, thanks^^

Cant see pics:eek:

Oh! Sry:eek:
I see them.
He looks quite skinny, his eyes look fine in the pics.:confused:
He definitly needs some fattening up!

what do you suggest?? i put 10 crickets in a cup, dust them with the repcal an everything. Im about to start dusting with repshy cal plus and gut loading with a mix of bugburger and dinofuel along with friuts and veggies

Just feed him as much as he will eat. Thats about all you can do for that.
How much does he actually eat in a day?

Some young chams have a hard time with the bulbs right on the cage, it seems too strong for them. I had a cham doing that on the uphill eye and after I moved the 5.0 up 3" or so I have never seen it again. Just a thought.

If you are also concerned about weight and general health it would be a good idea to get a fecal float and smear done by a veterinarian that knows what to look for in reptiles

I dont realy know but when i look in his feeder cup theres usually between 3-5 in there and i dont see any running around in the cage and theres some days where he'll only eat like one

I elevated the light like you said he seems like hes not bothered by it yet, also do they lose their appetite when they shed? cause hes starting to shed alot around his head and body. bringing him to the vet on friday just to be safe.

Lack of appetite during/near a shed is common yes.
Parasites could be causing the malnutrition yes, so I would have him checked for that for sure.

Wow just caught all your post man... The poop is fine and the eye issue could be from the cfl IMO I just don't trust or like them at all. As for him not eating all his crickets I have a few of his brothers that started doing the same thing they wanted somthing new so I have small superworms and red runners and Dubia to feed them and they are doing great. Also all my cham babies will eat out of a cup but they don't like to they want to hunt for there food. As for a fecal test you can go get that done if you think you need to he might have picked up somthing from were ever you are getting your crickets from. But I test all my baby chams the day befor shipping .. I put them in there own home and and mist them a lot for the trip and wait for them to poop so I can run a fecal test. All my cham and cham babies are a 100% clean:) switch his diet up and try to free range his feeders... Let me know if you have any other questions or problems just pm me or text me or email me.....

Also in all your pics he looks dark and cold like he is trying to heat up. Are you sure he can get to his right basking temp area?

eye closed

My panther had the same thing I put her. On s stick n put her under the showerhead ,n make her think its raining warm water ,eventually it cleaned her eye out.goodluck

In the photo the thermometer shows around 82/83 but I recently turned it on through out the day it stays between 85-88 but the room temp is set to 72 plus i added a humidifier in my room so idk hes not near any vents or fans either. for the free ranging the feeders i just don't want them to hide in the dense leafs and have him not find em and eventually have alot of crickets in his cage that might nibble on him, this guy is the most stressful pet i ever had lol but its worth it once i see him doing good, also would you gutload/dust the red runners, supers, and dubias the same way as crickets? Bringing him to the vet friday prety sure he doesnt have anything but better safe than sorry

Back
Top Bottom