Help picking cham needed

Roni013

So those of you that have read some of my posts know I've had a little bad luck starting out in chameleons. I'd like to go to the Sacramento Reptile show and get a new one (take out the stress and danger of shipping) Problem:
I so dont even know what I want. Thats mostly why I want to go to the show, so I can see them in person and maybe something will catch my eye. But I'd like some input from the experts first (no more mistakes for me)
At first I was thinking pygmy but they are so small, if something goes wrong you cant even tell until it's too late, and then you cant really do anything about it. Then I was thinking flapneck but I doubt they will have CB at the show (could be mistaken) I could do a female panther but from what I've seen they arn't very colorful, I know flapnecks dont have a huge range of color but I much rather have an all green cham then a brown one. I have 2 cages, a glass 18x18x24 and a screen 18x18x36, I can not get anymore so whatever I get will have to fit in one of these as an Adult. Also I am a newbie into reptile keeping though I've done my homework and am fully prepared for the hard work, though I'd like to stay away from species needing advanced keeping to start out with.
I need help, what should I look for?

Side note: I know thiers a lot of veiled fans out their who already said I should get one but as much as I admire and like them, they are not one of my favs. Sorry!
p.s- I dont want any other kind of reptile either- I'm babysitting a friends leopard gecko- boring! :p

~~~Side note: I know thiers a lot of veiled fans out their who already said I should get one but as much as I admire and like them, they are not one of my favs. Sorry! ~~~

I can sure understand your hesitation, they aren't as flamboyant as some of the others, however they are easier to grow to adult without a BIG expenditure of money. Once you have some success with a veild you may have more confidence to get something a little more exotic.

BTW, I have 4 veilds and they are great! They are not nearly as retiring as some and most can be held from time to time.

depending on what you want to spend maybe check out the translucent veileds. they are pretty cool :)

I would go with a veiled or panther if I was you. Like Bocajan said, they are much easier to get right then a lot of the other species. Oh and who says female panthers arent very colorful. Maybe not like the males but check this lady out. Just remember they will need a laying bin at around 6 months because they can lay eggs without being mated.

First pic she had something bothering her eye. She is fine now.

IMG_84161.jpg

DSC_0271.jpg

DSC_0270.jpg

What ever you get make sure its CBB and give yourself a fighting chance , I'd hate to see you disappointed again. I vote panther or even a carpet.

Attachments

• Faja07.JPG
    Faja07.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 125
  • Faja10.JPG
    Faja10.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 120
what about a rudis chameleon? It seems like they are smaller, I have no experience with them, but the red rudis look really cool

Can you really house a female Veiled adult in a 18x18x36?? If so I've got an old 18x18x36 from my Veiled male when he was a wee little cham and if that cage will work for an ADULT female, I'm going cham shopping!!

Can you really house a female Veiled adult in a 18x18x36?? If so I've got an old 18x18x36 from my Veiled male when he was a wee little cham and if that cage will work for an ADULT female, I'm going cham shopping!!

:p I have some beautiful baby females available! :p (shameless plug!)

Roni, I hear ya about the Veiled's!

I vote for the Flapneck! (Chamaeleo dilepis dilepis) There may not be any CB's at the NARBC show, but there are lots of them around; quite a few American keepers produced them this year. The Flaps aren't any harder to keep than the common species being mentioned on this thread and their personalities are completely different - but in a good way!

Here's a semi-recent of my gal:

DSC_003520080726.jpg

Have fun at NARBC; take a look around at what's available but don't feel pressured into buying a species you don't like nor an animal just because it's the "big show" or you've got an empty cage.

Cheers,
t

cainschams- That female is really pretty, you just never see any pics like that, where did u get her from?
BTW I am definatly getting CB, if they don't have any I will wait until they do, I don't want to be disappointed again either!
The next one I get is gonna live and be healthy and happy! :D

p.s.- cute flapneck too! How are thier personalities different?

I'm new to cham keeping too. I ended up getting a Flapneck b/c I liked the “X” pattern. I'm still trying to figure him out (less info on flapnecks). Overall he seems happy and enjoys eating from my hand now and again. Get the one you like the most or you will regret your pick in the end... good luck.

Back
Top Bottom