Help me

Is this normal?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
@twistychams said..."The OP. Doesn’t look like vermiculite to me, but could be wrong"... The OP's substrate looks like vermiculite to me. @Kaylamom can tell us for sure.

You said... "Never let water get on the eggs" ...that's right....it's so it won't rinse of the protective coating.

You said..."Can you see it dripping from the top in the picture?"...I can...but on salty dog's container...not the OP's. I've hatched lots of eggs starting in 1995....and the lids and sides of my containers always looked like the container salty dog showed.

You said..."Too much moisture means the eggs will swell and burst, clearly what happened in this case"...it's true that too much moisture in the substrate will cause the eggs to swell too much and burst. I explained about adding water and moisture level of the vermiculite in this thread...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/thr...and-was-told-this-was-her-first-clutc.175455/

Dude I use REPASHY SUPERHATCH, people should not comment on stuff they know nothing about, I know what I'm doing, there are 2 more breeders was 3 that I work with that has been in the game more than 15 years that hatch thousands of eggs the same way I do, they taught me,

When you take the lid off how long are you leaving it off? I'm concerned that the left egg is so dry looking.

The one you slit on the side will very likely dry out too...the baby may very likely die because it's head is not going to be positioned at the side of the egg....if it's not dead already.

For substrate the way to test for moisture level is to take a fist full of it and squeeze it...only one or two dope of water should come out of it...but it's I,portent that the drops do come out to show its at last moist enough.
The container should develop moisture on the (in)sides and the lid should get moisture beads on it too on the inside.

In Florida you likely don't need an incubator for most of the year at least. At the temperatures you indicated they could hatch in about 7 months...so hatching now or soon is quite possible.

With chameleons nothing is written in stone.

Are you keeping them in the dark? Is the container opaque?

I didn’t slit the sides like that, I went to check on them And they had the slit already. The one on the left had a slit and the baby chameleon inside was full formed no egg yoke at all and was dry like it was supposed to hatch. The egg on the right had a slit on the side and appeared to be leaking something out of it. After reading and asking I decided I should cut them open and see what happened. I used vermiculite for substrate it is the fine grade. The vermiculite is wet but no drips of water can be squeezed from it, I tried. Maybe I should add more water? I never let the water touch the eggs themselves. I have kept them in my closet and in opaque plastic container. I have never had moisture build up on the inside. Is that ok? Thanks for your help

Dude I use REPASHY SUPERHATCH, people should not comment on stuff they know nothing about, I know what I'm doing, there are 2 more breeders was 3 that I work with that has been in the game more than 15 years that hatch thousands of eggs the same way I do, they taught me,
triggered! Don’t take my advice??

Never cut an egg open....I have once after it sweated for 2 days & didn't hatch, I cut it out correctly, it still didn't survive, it died
They were already slit open when I check them. And I waited a while to see if they were hatching before I cut them out. Idk why they slit on their side themselves though?

Thought salty dog was the op?? My bad on saying what the op was doing wrong. I got the info mixed up, stay safe out there!

The OP. Doesn’t look like vermiculite to me, but could be wrong. Never let water get on the eggs. Can you see it dripping from the top in the picture? Too much moisture means the eggs will swell and burst, clearly what happened in this case. Don’t take my advice if you feel it is wrong, but as a breeder this is my experience. Take it or leave it
It is fine grade vermiculite. It is moist but not saturated, I have never had moisture build up on the lid before? Maybe they are dry? I don’t put water directly on the eggs ever

It is fine grade vermiculite. It is moist but not saturated, I have never had moisture build up on the lid before? Maybe they are dry? I don’t put water directly on the eggs ever
apologies as I responded to this post, I had you confused with someone else... good luck though hope the rest hatch

I didn’t slit the sides like that, I went to check on them And they had the slit already. The one on the left had a slit and the baby chameleon inside was full formed no egg yoke at all and was dry like it was supposed to hatch. The egg on the right had a slit on the side and appeared to be leaking something out of it. After reading and asking I decided I should cut them open and see what happened. I used vermiculite for substrate it is the fine grade. The vermiculite is wet but no drips of water can be squeezed from it, I tried. Maybe I should add more water? I never let the water touch the eggs themselves. I have kept them in my closet and in opaque plastic container. I have never had moisture build up on the inside. Is that ok? Thanks for your help
Sorry I thought you cut them open...I think it confused me because you said you cut them out. I read it a second time but had already posted about it before I did.
I haven't used the fine vermiculite for many years but I remember having trouble keeping it evenly moist which is why I switched to the coarse grade. I can't tell you for sure if you should add more water or not. If it was where I live I would because you're saying you haven't got any moisture build up inside...but I'm not sure since you live in Florida. @jannb ...do you get moisture on the inside of your containers?
The location and opaque container should be good...the eggs do better in the dark.

Fingers crossed for the last of the eggs. Please let us know what happens. We learn from it all.

Sorry I thought you cut them open...I think it confused me because you said you cut them out. I read it a second time but had already posted about it before I did.
I haven't used the fine vermiculite for many years but I remember having trouble keeping it evenly moist which is why I switched to the coarse grade. I can't tell you for sure if you should add more water or not. If it was where I live I would because you're saying you haven't got any moisture build up inside...but I'm not sure since you live in Florida. @jannb ...do you get moisture on the inside of your containers?
The location and opaque container should be good...the eggs do better in the dark.

Fingers crossed for the last of the eggs. Please let us know what happens. We learn from it all.
The last three eggs are sweating now. I just hope I didn’t mess up the moisture. These last 7 months has been the craziest longest most emotional process. I just want my babies ?

The last three eggs are sweating now. I just hope I didn’t mess up the moisture. These last 7 months has been the craziest longest most emotional process. I just want my babies ?
It never gets easier in some ways ...no matter how may clutches you hatch, you will still be anxious about the next one.

It's good that they are sweating...lets hope these ones hatch!

Yes, in south FL I did have moisture build up on lid of my egg containers and I never had to add water.

Back
Top Bottom