Help me

Is this normal?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Kaylamom

I have 5 veiled chameleon eggs that I check weekly bc they are due to hatch anytime I believe. They were laid in November and I calculated to start hatching in May. We went to check them this morning and I don’t know if this is normal? How long does it take from them to hatch once the egg has a slit? I don’t remember them sweating either. I put picture with the post so you can see what I am talking about. Do you think they are on track? This is my sons project and he wants to know if we are supposed to help them out?

Attachments

• B683944E-4852-4635-9F60-C76BD1127A97.jpeg
    B683944E-4852-4635-9F60-C76BD1127A97.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 93
  • 1C769945-A12C-49BC-A643-B3D04DF0F75A.jpeg
    1C769945-A12C-49BC-A643-B3D04DF0F75A.jpeg
    216.6 KB · Views: 142
They never hatch from the side, that is bad!! I have eggs incubating now going on 11 months and they are healthy as can be, they hatch when they are ready

They never hatch from the side, that is bad!! I have eggs incubating now going on 11 months and they are healthy as can be, they hatch when they are ready
I ended Up cutting them out. The one shrunken one was fully formed and dry. But not moving. The second one still had his yoke. I am so heartbroken. I only have three eggs left and I don’t know what to do. Do I move them to a new substrate ? Do I leave them alone? I invested so much into these, and this is gut wrenching for me

No criticism here. Just genuinely curious why you cut them. I can see how my comment could have been read with some sass behind it, but that was not how I wrote it :) Just trying to understand.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to leave them be and let them hatch in their own time. I'm rooting for the little guys!

What temperatue have you been incubating them at?
How moist is the substrate?
How often are you taking the lid off and how long do you leave it off when you take it off?
How are you incubating them...in an incubator it what??
If they were/are at the right temperature and humidity they should hatch around 240 days.

What temperatue have you been incubating them at?
How moist is the substrate?
How often are you taking the lid off and how long do you leave it off when you take it off?
How are you incubating them...in an incubator it what??
If they were/are at the right temperature and humidity they should hatch around 240 days.
78-80 has been the highest temperature. We live in Florida. The substrate is vermiculite it’s moist but not saturated. We take the lid off every week to check them and make sure there is no mold and occasionally add water. They were laid 11/24/19

No criticism here. Just genuinely curious why you cut them. I can see how my comment could have been read with some sass behind it, but that was not how I wrote it :) Just trying to understand.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is to leave them be and let them hatch in their own time. I'm rooting for the little guys!

thanks! Sorry I’m so heartbroken. I have done so much research and really thought I had done everything right. I cut them out bc from what I could tell they were not right, and I thought it would help them. But I believe they were already dead. I only have three eggs left and I just want it to be successful

78-80 has been the highest temperature. We live in Florida. The substrate is vermiculite it’s moist but not saturated. We take the lid off every week to check them and make sure there is no mold and occasionally add water. They were laid 11/24/19
We have not used an incubator. Thanks for your help

When you take the lid off how long are you leaving it off? I'm concerned that the left egg is so dry looking.

The one you slit on the side will very likely dry out too...the baby may very likely die because it's head is not going to be positioned at the side of the egg....if it's not dead already.

For substrate the way to test for moisture level is to take a fist full of it and squeeze it...only one or two dope of water should come out of it...but it's I,portent that the drops do come out to show its at last moist enough.
The container should develop moisture on the (in)sides and the lid should get moisture beads on it too on the inside.

In Florida you likely don't need an incubator for most of the year at least. At the temperatures you indicated they could hatch in about 7 months...so hatching now or soon is quite possible.

With chameleons nothing is written in stone.

Are you keeping them in the dark? Is the container opaque?

Never cut an egg open....I have once after it sweated for 2 days & didn't hatch, I cut it out correctly, it still didn't survive, it died

You shouldn’t let it get too wet in the egg box as they can swell and burst prematurely. Do not spray the eggs or drip water on the eggs. The soil should also be vermiculite or perlite, not whatever that is. Just my opinion. Good luck

You shouldn’t let it get too wet in the egg box as they can swell and burst prematurely. Do not spray the eggs or drip water on the eggs. The soil should also be vermiculite or perlite, not whatever that is. Just my opinion. Good luck
Are you talking to the OP or salty dog?
It looks like the OP is using vermiculite....and I don't think the OP's issue is TOO much moisture.

The OP. Doesn’t look like vermiculite to me, but could be wrong. Never let water get on the eggs. Can you see it dripping from the top in the picture? Too much moisture means the eggs will swell and burst, clearly what happened in this case. Don’t take my advice if you feel it is wrong, but as a breeder this is my experience. Take it or leave it

@Kaylamom, found your thread and pictures.
Sounds like everyone here is advocating for the same path forward that I did privately.

Put the lid back on, keep your head up, and keep moving forward. It really is your only option. Your in good hands here.

The OP. Doesn’t look like vermiculite to me, but could be wrong. Never let water get on the eggs. Can you see it dripping from the top in the picture? Too much moisture means the eggs will swell and burst, clearly what happened in this case. Don’t take my advice if you feel it is wrong, but as a breeder this is my experience. Take it or leave it
this was directed at kinyanga btw... everyone loses eggs so don’t let it kill ya

Back
Top Bottom