Help! Is this normal.

bhtjen6

I finally Caught what my new Cham is doing. You can see it but also hear his little noise. It’d be cute if I wasnt worried. I’ll add all the other details to the thread in just a minute.

Sorry for the bad lighting in the video!

Thank you for your help! I dont Want to miss something with this little guy!

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Unsure if it’s M/F, but pretty sure it’s a male (by his back feet). Got Celery (his name) on Monday.
  • Handling - Only when needed at this point.
  • Feeding - Hasn’t eaten yet. Have crickets dusted in calcium in a feeder cup attached to a branch in his cage. Today tried moving him to a small box with a branch and crickets (was suggested) but still didn’t eat. Have stuff ordered from a cricket place to gut load the crickets plus fresh vegis.
  • Supplements - Have the samples that came with the ZooBreeze Cham kit but no routine yet. Plan on calcium daily and then calcium w/ D3 every other week and a multivitamin once on the other weeks.
  • Watering - Currently misting manually about 4 times per day making sure greenery is dripping. Humidity has stayed around 50%. Researching what watering system to get. I did See him drinking this morning.
  • Fecal Description - Haven’t seen any.
  • History - ?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30
  • Lighting - using day light and UVB that came with kit currently. Have a non coiled UVB light fixture on order. What I saw Recommended on this site. Per store recc a desert night light for a little heat but reading here, that seems unnecessary.
  • Temperature - My house stays cooler so initially the temp at the bottom was in the high 60’s. Towards the top was low 70’s and basking area around 85. Have a small space heater going in the morning/evening to being bottom temp up to low 70s. I dont Have it blowing directly on the cage, just in the area.
  • Humidity - Have a humidity measurer (whatever it’s called) and it stays between 40-60%. Have coconut fiber at the bottom to help with humidity and misting really well about 4 times per day.
  • plants - all fake. Washed well before putting in the cage.
  • Placement - Cage is in our living room in a corner that isn’t drafty. It is a higher trafficked area of the house. Top of the cage is about 5 ft above the floor level.
  • Location - East Texas

Current Problem -
*How long till I should Be concerned he hasn’t eaten?
*He seems to be gasping today. I’ll try to upload my video. I cant catch what he’s doing real well but it almost sounds like a little gasp when he does it.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled. Unsure if it’s M/F, but pretty sure it’s a male (by his back feet). Got Celery (his name) on Monday.
  • Handling - Only when needed at this point.
  • Feeding - Hasn’t eaten yet. Have crickets dusted in calcium in a feeder cup attached to a branch in his cage. Today tried moving him to a small box with a branch and crickets (was suggested) but still didn’t eat. Have stuff ordered from a cricket place to gut load the crickets plus fresh vegis.
  • Supplements - Have the samples that came with the ZooBreeze Cham kit but no routine yet. Plan on calcium daily and then calcium w/ D3 every other week and a multivitamin once on the other weeks.
  • Watering - Currently misting manually about 4 times per day making sure greenery is dripping. Humidity has stayed around 50%. Researching what watering system to get. I did See him drinking this morning.
  • Fecal Description - Haven’t seen any.
  • History - ?

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage 16x16x30
  • Lighting - using day light and UVB that came with kit currently. Have a non coiled UVB light fixture on order. What I saw Recommended on this site. Per store recc a desert night light for a little heat but reading here, that seems unnecessary.
  • Temperature - My house stays cooler so initially the temp at the bottom was in the high 60’s. Towards the top was low 70’s and basking area around 85. Have a small space heater going in the morning/evening to being bottom temp up to low 70s. I dont Have it blowing directly on the cage, just in the area.
  • Humidity - Have a humidity measurer (whatever it’s called) and it stays between 40-60%. Have coconut fiber at the bottom to help with humidity and misting really well about 4 times per day.
  • plants - all fake. Washed well before putting in the cage.
  • Placement - Cage is in our living room in a corner that isn’t drafty. It is a higher trafficked area of the house. Top of the cage is about 5 ft above the floor level.
  • Location - East Texas

Current Problem -
*How long till I should Be concerned he hasn’t eaten?
*He seems to be gasping today. I’ll try to upload my video. I cant catch what he’s doing real well but it almost sounds like a little gasp when he does it.
How long have you had him?

Unfortunately, I think he is showing signs of a respiratory infection. Seeing you only had him 3 days, he came to you this way. The stress of the move may have accelerated the symptoms. If indeed he does have an RI, he will have to be put on an antibiotic. Wherever you got him from, should stand behind his health if yhey are reputable

Unfortunately, I think he is showing signs of a respiratory infection. Seeing you only had him 3 days, he came to you this way. The stress of the move may have accelerated the symptoms. If indeed he does have an RI, he will have to be put on an antibiotic. Wherever you got him from, should stand behind his health if yhey are reputable

That was my worry. I got Him at a PetStore. I hate To take him back because they won’t take care of him. I’m thinking a vet visit then haggle with them for money back that I am Out. When do I know For sure he needs to be seen?

You are probably right that they will not take proper care of him. I would take him sooner than later. You don’t want it to get too out of control. It will just progress. Raising the temps might help some, but will not cure an RI if that is what he does indeed have.

You are probably right that they will not take proper care of him. I would take him sooner than later. You don’t want it to get too out of control. It will just progress. Raising the temps might help some, but will not cure an RI if that is what he does indeed have.

Thank you! I looked up the exotic vet in town. They weee closed today so I’ll call in the morning! Thank you for the info!!

Please keep us posted on the little guy. Let us know what vet says and does please. Good luck Celery....love the name.:)

Thanks. Unfortunately the vet can’t see him until Monday. I asked The front desk to ask if the vet had any suggestions for over the weekend and he had none (doesn’t seem like a good start) but we will see. Fortunately I have A friend that is a large animal vet that put me in touch with her vet friend that see exotics and she gave me lots of info, from video and info I gave her, she’s pretty sure it’s a RI but no way for her to treat him. So creating an ICU, as she called it, for the weekend with higher humidity, more frequent misting, higher temps and suggested a liquid calcium supplement and force feeding if I can gentally. I was Able to get a meal worm in him with a multivitamin on it and got his frat poop yet, so there is that! Hopefully he will be ok through the weekend.

Thanks. Unfortunately the vet can’t see him until Monday. I asked The front desk to ask if the vet had any suggestions for over the weekend and he had none (doesn’t seem like a good start) but we will see. Fortunately I have A friend that is a large animal vet that put me in touch with her vet friend that see exotics and she gave me lots of info, from video and info I gave her, she’s pretty sure it’s a RI but no way for her to treat him. So creating an ICU, as she called it, for the weekend with higher humidity, more frequent misting, higher temps and suggested a liquid calcium supplement and force feeding if I can gentally. I was Able to get a meal worm in him with a multivitamin on it and got his frat poop yet, so there is that! Hopefully he will be ok through the weekend.
Try no mealworms please.

Vet said a meal worm with calcium and vitamins was better than nothing at this point. I cant get any other type of worm in my area, will have to order them. But I wont use them regularly so thank you!

Back
Top Bottom