HELP!! eye probleme

XxPockyYumxX

Okay, so I have a 5 month old veiled chameleon, I just got home from school, and I noticed that his left eye was closed, i think its a little swollen.. but I cant tell... I got a clean Qtip, and I dipped it in warm water, I rubbed it gently aroun that eye, and its still closed... what wrong??? Im gonna take him to the vet as soon as possible.. but I wanted to make sure hes okay..

Misting will be a better way to allow him to clean his eye.
The eyes are very delicate and you could easily damage it.
A vet exam is a good idea, if you can get him to open the eye the vet can determine if there is anything foreign in it or possible detect an infection.
What type of UVB lighting are you using? linear tube or compact fluorescent?

-Brad

Misting will be a better way to allow him to clean his eye.
The eyes are very delicate and you could easily damage it.
A vet exam is a good idea, if you can get him to open the eye the vet can determine if there is anything foreign in it or possible detect an infection.
What type of UVB lighting are you using? linear tube or compact fluorescent?

-Brad

Okay, hes opening it a little, and its a compact fluorescent bulb..

Okay, hes opening it a little, and its a compact fluorescent bulb..

Trash the compact florescent. He can go a few days without it. CFL's can cause serious eye problems and it usually starts with one eye and then its both. Buy a reptisun 5.0 or 10.0 linear bulb.

Glad we caught this in time. These bulbs are blinding chameleons plain and simple.

i agree with throwing out the compact bulb ive heard nothing but eye problems with them and things like that. I also have about a 6 month old veiled his eye was closed for about three days and i could get him to open it occasionally but i didnt have 100$ for a vet at the time so a guy that breads chams told me to goto walgreens and buy a bottle of refresh tears it was about 10$ and drip it in his eye twice a day. i did this for four or five days and his eye started to stay open but was crusty around it,its been about a month since that happend and his eyes no longer crusty and works fine. another thing is you may want to make shure your humidity is up and make sure your misting the cage 3-4 times a day for at least 1-5 minutes each session i read a lot about chameleon eye problems could also be from lack of humidity

Back
Top Bottom