Help! Chameleon won't use back leg

Discussion in 'Health Clinic' started by Kristin919, Mar 10, 2018.

1. Kristin919

Kristin919 Member

Hi everyone, my 1 1/2 year old male veiled chameleon has started to not use his back left leg, he can move it however he rarely ever does, he lets it drag behind him as well as when he is sitting on a branch the leg dangles below, the leg looks like it may be ever so slightly swollen but i can't tell, what is wrong and what should i do?

He is in an XL reptibreeze screen cage, with uva and uvb lights, and gets sprayed down 3-4 times a day with a constant dripping system, his cage ranges from 85-90 degrees F during the day, aproximately 65-70 at night and the humidity is usually around 50-70% and gets fed crickets everyday, dusted with calcium without D3 everyday, vitamins 2 times a month and D3 2 times a month.

2. CamrynTheCham22

CamrynTheCham22 Avid Member

Can you please post pictures/video of him? Also of his enclosure?

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  3. Harry The Cham

Harry The Cham Established Member

I have a leopard gecko who is a rescue he has this problem with his 2 back legs from being neglected from his previous owners but u seem to be doing everything right

4. Harry The Cham

Please send pictures it's leg may be broken

5. CJ's Exotics

CJ's Exotics Chameleon Enthusiast

I'm thinking MBD by the sounds of it, but there could be other things wrong.

CamrynTheCham22 likes this.
  6. Harry The Cham

I do think it could be mad but everything sounds good from what you've been doing

7. Harry The Cham

Can how do u start a thread

8. CJ's Exotics

That's not all of the care info, poor supplementing isn't the only cause.

timw1 likes this.
  9. CJ's Exotics

PM'd you.

10. Harry The Cham

Oops mean to say that not mad

11. Harry The Cham

12. Kristin919

Kristin919 Member

he can still use the leg and move it he just doesn't seem to want to use it as if it's stiff or hurts or something, he tries to keep it straight and dangles it off the sides of branches or perches it up on a vine like a sling, as far as i know he hasn't hurt it and he can bend it, im not sure what could be wrong. he is also still eating and moves around a lot he hasn't seemed to have lost his energy.

13. kinyonga

kinyonga Chameleon Enthusiast

Could be an injury or maybe gout. We need more information.
    What color are the urates? Has the UVB bulb been replaced at all during the time you've had him? What are you feeding/gutloading the insects with?

#15 kinyonga, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
    CJ's Exotics likes this.
  14. timw1

timw1 Avid Member

He's got a stuck shed on the affected leg, maybe that has something to do with it.

CJ's Exotics and CamrynTheCham22 like this.
  15. CamrynTheCham22

It means Private Message. You should see a notification on the mail symbol in the top right corner of your device, near your profile.
    That sounds like a plausible proposal. But can that explain the visible swelling in the joint?

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  16. timw1

timw1 Avid Member

Maybe not, I initially thought it was the way the leg was bent.

CJ's Exotics likes this.
  17. CamrynTheCham22

It probably needs a veterinarian to diagnose it correctly anyway

18. Andee

Andee Chameleon Enthusiast

Likely gout or an injury, the stuck shed doesn't look old enough or tight enough to cause this severity though shedding on the feet irritates my chams struggling with joint issues or mbd more than my healthier chams who have overcome it already or came to me healthy. So it could be a mix of things... How often does he get misted and for how long? Wondering if it's kidney failure...

timw1 and CJ's Exotics like this.