Help! Chameleon won't use back leg

Likely gout or an injury, the stuck shed doesn't look old enough or tight enough to cause this severity though shedding on the feet irritates my chams struggling with joint issues or mbd more than my healthier chams who have overcome it already or came to me healthy. So it could be a mix of things... How often does he get misted and for how long? Wondering if it's kidney failure...
he gets misted down with a full spray bottle of water at least 3 times a day for at least 2-3 minutes, as well as he has a constant dripping of water from a cup at the top of his cage, we feed him crickets everyday and horn worms about once a week and occasionally he will get small pieces of watermelon, he has a pathos plant in his cage that he has eaten over the year I've had him but that's not that often we also give him kale pinned inside of the cage for him to eat to get some water from, I just recently replaced his blue light bulb I forget if that is uva or uvb but that bulb is a 100w as far as I remember and the other bulb the white curled bulb hasn't been replaced I think that's a 5w? It came with his chameleon kit from reptibreeze

IMG_0099.JPG

Have you tried giving him a shower? I think he would benefit from it in multiple ways, it would remove his stuck shed and encourage some extra water intake. If you do misting by hand I recommend doing a shower 1-2 times a week.

Have you tried giving him a shower? I think he would benefit from it in multiple ways, it would remove his stuck shed and encourage some extra water intake. If you do misting by hand I recommend doing a shower 1-2 times a week.
No I haven't given him a shower but I could try that, how would that benifit him in regards to his leg? If he does have gout like someone suggested or something internally like that or even an injury would the shower help him or is that just for him to stay hydrated?

Again he is still very active and climbs all around all day long he just refrains from using his back left leg as much as possible, I also just fed him a horn worm today and he was really interested in it and gobbled it up

Yea his leg is very limp, however he can still use it he can lightly grab onto things and can bend it, sine you said you don't like how limp his leg looks what does that mean could be wrong? Like an injury?
See how swollen his knee is is? I don't have a ton experience with gout, but based on what I have heard on it, it looks like gout.

Gout is often cause by kidney failure or high animal protein diets fed to his feeders. Kidney failure in this young of an animal is caused by lack of water. It can be turned around and the gout that has already started can be lessened. He's in pain, and his joints are poorly lubricated. So that's why he's not using his leg.

Gout is often cause by kidney failure or high animal protein diets fed to his feeders. Kidney failure in this young of an animal is caused by lack of water. It can be turned around and the gout that has already started can be lessened. He's in pain, and his joints are poorly lubricated. So that's why he's not using his leg.
so would giving him a shower twice a week and increasing his mistings help?

What color are his urates?
just a few days ago they were pure white, they are usually white-whitish yellow, the last two times he's gone to the bathroom however they were pretty orange but they were rather white about a week ago aswell as he was using the leg a week ago however i did notice that at night he would sleep with his leg dangling for about a month now but i figured it was just him being lazy, but he stopped using the leg within the last day or two. his poop looks decent, it doesn't look runny

also i get my crickets from my local pet store, i think they feed their crickets potatoes? but im not positive, when i get the crickets home i put them in a carrier and they are fed the flukers high calcium cricket food aswell as flukers orange cubes. Im confused as to why it would be gout since i don't think he gets excessive protiens but im not 100% sure how it all works either.

Back
Top Bottom