heeelpppp!

raainn

A few days ago i began to freak out that my baby camille, (2 month baby veiled chameleon, female) was sick of some sort. she had a real brown-blackish color but now she has returned to her beautiful green. what concerns me NOW is that shes been sleeping SO much! its crazy. or maybe she isnt asleep, but her eyes are closed. she sleeps upside down on her cage the whole time. i havent seen her eat or drink..idk whats going on. i think she's to skinny. i can see her rib cage (if they even have one). what should i do? she refusses to eat.

Don't know if you meant to make this thread twice but you should only do it once so it doesn't get confusing trying to answer your questions...

idk how to delete! so im just gunna ignore the other one. ill fill out that thing, and also upload the pics.

* Your Chameleon - Baby Veiled Chameleon, Female , not so sure about age probably between 2-4 months. i've had her for one week.

* Handling - i don't usually hold her but i've let her walk around my desk a couple of times..under my full supervision.

* Feeding - i feed her crickets, baby crickets. gut load them with carrots and lettuce.

* Supplements - i feed her usually everyday, about 4-5 crickets is what she eats.

* Watering - i mist her with drinkable water. mist her 3 times a day for about 20 seconds. I've seen her drink a few times but im usually at school so im not sure if she does everday.

* Fecal Description - i've had her for a week, im not sure about any issues she may have..

* History - no history :/

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen, full size cage. its about 33 inches tall.

* Lighting - flourecent coil bulb 20 W, heat lamp (red) zoo med 75 W approx. 4 inches above top screen.

* Temperature - the area is huge, but she can bask where she feels like it. the closest is about 14 inches from branch but when she climbs to the corner about 6 inches. lowest, 65-70. highest, 90. i measure them with thermometer like thingys (circular) and a humidity one too.

* Humidity - they average around 70

* Plants - im not really sure what kind of plant but i cleaned it in my bathtub from bottom to top, every inch and leaf. it looks very safe. but i'll find out soon

* Placement - its actually on the floor, i had no other spot for her cage.. it's so huge.

* Location - San Diego, California.

Current Problem - she hasnt eaten or drank water, or atleast i havent seen her eat latly..she avoids her crickets and she looks REALLY skinny!

can you post a picture? and where did you get her from?

is there anyway to move the cage up onto a table or nightstand or something? and what kind of lights do you have?

if you got her from a reptile or pet store....i've noticed with a couple of ours, that they keep sooooo many crickets in those cages all the time vs. just putting some in for feeding, added to the stress of relocating, can often cause some disinterest in feeding..... might also be a good idea to try a different feeder in that case as well....

Last edited:
oh..that could be it. the cage is huge and she always stays at the topper part. the crickets are small so they usually dont climb up. how do i do this "cup feeding"?

here is camille

Attachments

• camille 001.jpg
    camille 001.jpg
    236.1 KB · Views: 70
  • camille 002.jpg
    camille 002.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 106
  • camille 004.jpg
    camille 004.jpg
    236.9 KB · Views: 75
  • camille 003.jpg
    camille 003.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 79
i use a plastic deli cup (i colored the outside of it with a permanent marker because it was clear and ours would try to get the food "through" the cup)... and i poke a hole in the side and use a twist tie or something like that to attach it near some of the branches in the cage...so they can see into it when they're roaming the cage.... the deli cups are deep enough we don't usually have to worry too much about things climbing/jumping out....

i got her from a reptile store here in san diego. they seemed like real good pet keepers cuz they gave me alot of things for her that they said i NEEDED. i have a UVB flourecent coil bulb of 20 watts and a infrared heat lamp of 75W from zoomed

okay i'll try using that. hopefully it will work. what about her sleeping throught the day. is that bad?

this is a good place to be asking questions and there's lots of people willing to help and make suggestions and such, so welcome. :)

we got one of our boys from Pet Kingdom, our two veileds from Reptile City and we get lots of supplies from LLL...lol....

one suggestion would be to get a different uvb light for her....a reptisun 5.0 and then you can actually use a regular house light bulb (wattage will depend on your room temps and what you need to maintain a good basking temp)....

and i'm sure someone will ask about the supplements....

i would also recommend a dripper bottle, even if you are misting...to give her more opportunity to drink during the day, even when you're not there.... some chams are shy drinkers...

would definitely recommend trying to get the cage elevated more, as their natural tendency is to be up high and away from anything they see as predatory.... and if it's in a room that a lot of people/animals/etc are in and out of, that could be a source of stress as well....

i wouldn't use them as routine/daily feeders, but if she won't eat the crickets, you could pick up some wax worms from most stores and see if she might at least eat a few of them...especially if you try the cup feeding...

just some thoughts to address the immediate issues... =)

part of the sleeping in the day might be a sign that she's not getting enough "complete dark" time to get enough sleep at night and the lights might need to be regulated a little more...

some people will put a towel or something over part of the cage (not all of it to make sure it's still well-ventilated) to cut down on lights disturbing them....

sometimes, (and not saying this to freak you out), it could be related to something more serious...as chams do not typically sleep/keep eyes closed during the day.... i've never owned one younger than 4-5 months personally, but i assume it's the same....

Ok. I do see some problems with your set-up. these may be the reason she is not in great shape.

* Your Chameleon - Baby Veiled Chameleon, Female , not so sure about age probably between 2-4 months. i've had her for one week.

* Handling - i don't usually hold her but i've let her walk around my desk a couple of times..under my full supervision.

* Feeding - i feed her crickets, baby crickets. gut load them with carrots and lettuce.4-5 pinhead, or small crickets are not enough for her

* Supplements - i feed her usually everyday, about 4-5 crickets is what she eats. crickets alone are not going to keep her healthy, you need to dust the crickets every other day with calcium, D3, vitamins, and other minerals to boost her nutrition and keep her healthy.

* Watering - i mist her with drinkable water. mist her 3 times a day for about 20 seconds. I've seen her drink a few times but im usually at school so im not sure if she does everday. Do you have a dripper set-up? ... misting for 20secs 3 times a day is not enough.

* Fecal Description - i've had her for a week, im not sure about any issues she may have..Has she pooped? please describe the poop. color, consistency, etc...

* History - no history :/

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - screen, full size cage. its about 33 inches tall.The cage is too big for her right now. She may have trouble finding her food etc..

* Lighting - flourecent coil bulb 20 W, heat lamp (red) zoo med 75 W approx. 4 inches above top screen.Please tell me you have UVB lighting set up for her. Without it she will get very ill!!!

* Temperature - the area is huge, but she can bask where she feels like it. the closest is about 14 inches from branch but when she climbs to the corner about 6 inches. lowest, 65-70. highest, 90. i measure them with thermometer like thingys (circular) and a humidity one too. - Monitoring the temp is huge,... she seems to hang right below the light becase she may be trying to get warmer, and or the bulbs you have are not adecuate.

* Humidity - they average around 70-Wow, this must be an error of some sort, i also live in San Diego and it is a challange to keep high humidityin a screen cage. How is this possible with only misting 20secs?

* Plants - im not really sure what kind of plant but i cleaned it in my bathtub from bottom to top, every inch and leaf. it looks very safe. but i'll find out soon- Some plants are not safe for chameleons, if you don't know if your is, remove it. fake vines will do ok for her while you buy a safe plant.

* Placement - its actually on the floor, i had no other spot for her cage.. it's so huge. try to her her cage off the ground, and in a place with low to no traffic. Make her feel safe!

* Location - San Diego, California.

Current Problem - she hasnt eaten or drank water, or atleast i havent seen her eat latly..she avoids her crickets and she looks REALLY skinny!

alright super thanksss! im going to try and put her on my desk, but since im nerdy and love school i keep all my books there BUUUUT ill do anything for my baby :b<3 so waxworms? someone told me crickets were better until about 4 months. but i dont want her to keep it up like this for another 2 months cuz she hardly eats. i havent SEEN her eat for 2 days.

Back
Top Bottom