heeelpppp!

Just about any store will have wax worms. I buy mine at Petco, but you can get them anywhere. They are pretty benign as insects go. They stay asleep in the fridge and only start to crawl when they warm up.

You'll find yourself drawing new lines of what's disgusting as you get into raising your chameleon.

As to the ants, my suggestion would be to rinse the plants down to bare roots and then re-pot in organic soil before putting the plant in with your chameleon.

Just about any store will have wax worms. I buy mine at Petco, but you can get them anywhere. They are pretty benign as insects go. They stay asleep in the fridge and only start to crawl when they warm up.

You'll find yourself drawing new lines of what's disgusting as you get into raising your chameleon.

As to the ants, my suggestion would be to rinse the plants down to bare roots and then re-pot in organic soil before putting the plant in with your chameleon.

what!?!?!?! i have to keep them in a refrigerator!?!? eeeeeewwwwwwwwwww :(

don't worry too much about those,... they are harmless,.... as long as is not a full colony trying to take over the cage.:p

omg RAFASTAR23, yesterday my plant was like...FULL of ants. i was crying & crying cuz i didnt know what to do. i thought my baby was gunna die !!! :( but then i just took the plant out. i had to clean EVERYTHING it was so hard :/

omg RAFASTAR23, yesterday my plant was like...FULL of ants. i was crying & crying cuz i didnt know what to do. i thought my baby was gunna die !!! :( but then i just took the plant out. i had to clean EVERYTHING it was so hard :/

Wow, maybe they were trying to take over. Well, keep the cage and "furnishings" clean and you don't have to worry about the ants any more.

Most worms, yes. Keeping them cold retards their transformation into whatever it is they will become (fly, beetle, whatever). You don't have to keep them in the fridge, but if you only have one chameleon it would be a waste.

It's not a big deal. They come in plastic containers and don't take up much room.

You'll get used to them. They aren't bad.

Again....rinse the thing down to bare roots. Get all that wild soil out of there and then replant in clean, bagged soil.

That or buy your plants.

If you don't want to keep the wax worm in the fridge, just buy what your cham will consume in a week (right now that she needs to recover. At southbay tropical you can buy as little as 10 wax worms for about $1

Last edited:
Or, you can buy 50 at Petco for about $4.

That's why I say it would be a waste to keep them warm. Cold, they'll be viable for as long as a month.

This is pretty low on the list of "bug issues" you'll need to overcome.

I'm pretty phobic, but I've learned to deal with the worms and I can even pick up a cricket with my bare hands.

You can do it.

If you have a Zilla light-take it back. Anything Zilla is pretty bad for chams. If she is keeping her eyes closed during the day, I would highly suspect it could be the Zilla lamp. Get a linear flourescent tube, Reptisun or Reptiglo ASAP. Get rid of the red lamp and get a white houshould lightbulb. 90 is WAY too high. You should have a basking spot of 80 for a young cham like you have. Are you using analog thermometers and humidty guages? Get a digital thermometer. Round dial analog thermometers don't measure basking temps and are pretty worthless. A 2-4 month old should be eating 1/4" crickets and not pin heads, and should easily down 10-20 of those sized crickets a day. You also need to research supplements. You NEED to know what kind of plant you have. I wouldn't be to concerned with variety of food at this point, you just need to get her to eat something. With a young cham you do not have much time to turn things around.

Back
Top Bottom