heeelpppp!

I've never seen a chameleon in a big box store in San Diego. The closest I've seen is an anole. I suspect it's because Petco is located here and they want to avoid problematic animals near headquarters. I know of one Petco that doesn't even have reptiles. They refer people to LLL. Petsmart doesn't want to be known as the place the sick chameleons can be found.

I've bought chameleons from the 2 of the big reptile stores here and at both was given some very bad information. I suspect the need to make a sale over rides the concern for the animal in some respects. Also, as noted, sometimes the employees are not fully knowledgeable about chameleons but are totally up to snuff on bearded dragons.

I've even seen babies labelled "fischers" that were clearly something else entirely at one of the top stores here.

I will note that LLL at the stores always gives good info.

raainn,

You should read over this blog for general care: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

You should also pay special attention to the "care for females" section here: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Yes, females will bear eggs even if they have not been bred but you can take steps to make it less likely and less of a trial if it does happen. Please do read that. Just FYI, the author of that is a valued poster here called Kinyonga. She is extremely experienced and knowledgeable.

I've never seen a chameleon in a big box store in San Diego. The closest I've seen is an anole. I suspect it's because Petco is located here and they want to avoid problematic animals near headquarters. I know of one Petco that doesn't even have reptiles. They refer people to LLL. Petsmart doesn't want to be known as the place the sick chameleons can be found.

I've bought chameleons from the 2 of the big reptile stores here and at both was given some very bad information. I suspect the need to make a sale over rides the concern for the animal in some respects. Also, as noted, sometimes the employees are not fully knowledgeable about chameleons but are totally up to snuff on bearded dragons.

I've even seen babies labelled "fischers" that were clearly something else entirely at one of the top stores here.

raainn,

You should read over this blog for general care: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

You should also pay special attention to the "care for females" section here: http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Yes, females will bear eggs even if they have not been bred but you can take steps to make it less likely and less of a trial if it does happen. Please do read that. Just FYI, the author of that is a valued poster here called Kinyonga. She is extremely experienced and knowledgeable.

Try and visit PETCO again. They sell veiled chams in San Diego. I have visited 3 different stores that had them. And offcourse, the staff knew nothing about how to keep them propperly, they just hand out a "care sheet" that doesn't really give you the information needed to kepp them healthy.

raainn,

ditto, ditto. :)

i have seen a veiled at a "big box store", but that's the only one....and i'm pretty sure it's only been once.... and some of the employees at LLL in escondido are on a "hey it's you again, how are the eggs?" basis with me already...lol.

(sooo would've put kinyonga in there with my recommendations if i could've remembered how to spell it!!! LOL)

on a side note...we should have a meeting sometime just here in the san diego area...there's so many of us here!!! =)

a really tall guy who seemed like a skater/punk sold me her. he was super nice. i go buy EVERYday after school to get her crickets and i ALWAYS ask him quuestions and he laughs at me cuz he says im a beginner :c haha. i love this website. it helps me out alot. should i be worried if she sleeps alot?

a really tall guy who seemed like a skater/punk sold me her. he was super nice. i go buy EVERYday after school to get her crickets and i ALWAYS ask him quuestions and he laughs at me cuz he says im a beginner :c haha. i love this website. it helps me out alot. should i be worried if she sleeps alot?

Fix the little issues we have pionted out already, and give her some time to adjust. You will find her being more active in the day if everything goes well.:)

yea we should! we can bring our babies also C: !! haa. i hate petco, all they care about are dogs and cats but my grammy wont let me have any of those. camille is my first reptile! :) my grammy flipped out when she saw her in my room. but now my grammy loves her. she thinks shes "gods greatest creation" b/c of the color changing.

oky doky :) im super excited to fix her cage, but its late -_____- so itll have to be in the morning. where can i buy an ACTUALL dripper?

Next time you go there to buy crikets, ask the guy who sold you the cham for his name. Mike is the owner, Tim fits a bit of your description.

Try and visit PETCO again. They sell veiled chams in San Diego. I have visited 3 different stores that had them. And offcourse, the staff knew nothing about how to keep them propperly, they just hand out a "care sheet" that doesn't really give you the information needed to kepp them healthy.

Maybe PM me with which store. They are all over the place. I go to three regularly (more than once a month) (Del Mar, Clairemont and Fairmont) and 2 fairly often (every 2 or 3 months) (Santee and Mira Mesa).

The Del Mar store does not carry reptiles at all. But man, they have the best cricket set up I've seen! By the way, everyone should ask to see how the crickets are kept. If they balk, don't buy. One store (not a big box) feeds their's cardboard!).

I suggest going PM with the negative comments because, in theory, negative store comments are a no no. I've never seen it applied to Petco, but as I think it should be, I would prefer to keep such things off the board.

Maybe PM me with which store. They are all over the place. I go to three regularly (more than once a month) (Del Mar, Clairemont and Fairmont) and 2 fairly often (every 2 or 3 months) (Santee and Mira Mesa).

The Del Mar store does not carry reptiles at all. But man, they have the best cricket set up I've seen! By the way, everyone should ask to see how the crickets are kept. If they balk, don't buy. One store (not a big box) feeds their's cardboard!).

I suggest going PM with the negative comments because, in theory, negative store comments are a no no. I've never seen it applied to Petco, but as I think it should be, I would prefer to keep such things off the board.

I haven't ventured to the north county stores yet. I can tell you that 2 stores in the southbay have them in glass cages. and one in downtown.

raainn,

YES, you should be worried if she's sleeping during the day. It's not a sign of a healthy animal.

I suspect (as you do) that she's underfed, so hopefully getting her eating will solve the problem.

While wax worms are not a great stable, they are a great "rebuilder". They are basically balls of fat and will help your chameleon rebuild. So, if she'll eat them now, let her have a couple a day for a bit....after she's back to health, take her back to a few a month.

Maybe we could get a "feeder buddy group" going?

Drippers can be found at Petsmart on main, Petco on broadway, lll reptiles is cheaper though.
agreed....out of pet kingdom, reptile city, and lll, lll ALWAYS has the better prices..... petco has a tendency to have cheaper prices on the animals and petsmart (vs. petco at least) has slightly cheaper prices on supplies.... most reptile stores also have a "frequent feeder" card that they will punch and you can "earn" free feeders after a number of feeder purchases....

there's also a "cricket farm"...haven't been there myself, but "prettyinink" goes quite frequently....

LOVE the employees at LLL in escondido...

(and agreed with the pms for negative comments....)

we have 2 dogs, 2 cats and 9 chams...lol...call it a zoo here... ;)

i'm thinking a weekend for a cham-fan get together?

Drippers can be found at Petsmart on main, Petco on broadway, lll reptiles is cheaper though.

i went to the petsmart on main today, they had the dripper but ima check the petco on broadway after school on tuesday. omg it feels so cool knowing u live around me C: cuz i can relate to where u get ur things too! i ditch PE to go to the petstore everyday x( i love that store! yea the guy that sold me my baby was pretty nice. if you go and ask for a girl who comes in OR calls everyday he'll know its me :) im so overprotective with my baby!

i have thousands of plants in my garden! well my grandmas garden, she loves them soooo much:b i have so many plants that are good for my baby but ants always get to her cage. what can i do for this problem? :/

raainn,

YES, you should be worried if she's sleeping during the day. It's not a sign of a healthy animal.

I suspect (as you do) that she's underfed, so hopefully getting her eating will solve the problem.

While wax worms are not a great stable, they are a great "rebuilder". They are basically balls of fat and will help your chameleon rebuild. So, if she'll eat them now, let her have a couple a day for a bit....after she's back to health, take her back to a few a month.

Maybe we could get a "feeder buddy group" going?

where can i get waxworms from? omg i hate insects! they ALL gross me out :(

i have thousands of plants in my garden! well my grandmas garden, she loves them soooo much:b i have so many plants that are good for my baby but ants always get to her cage. what can i do for this problem? :/

Are they the little black ants? or another type of ant?

Back
Top Bottom