Heat and humidity with illness

FroggtheCham

Hello everyone! I have been searching with the search option but to no avail. So please forgive me if this question is redundant. My cham has been battling a respiratory infection for over two weeks. He is now receiving a daily injection with the other injection every 48 hours, and is finally looking well. I have increased the temp and humidity in the enclosure to aid with healing, but how long should I keep them increased? Here is the original thread with his info.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/behavior-after-shed-24610/.

Thanks for the info. His throat appears to be clear. I can get a good view as he is gaping and trying to bite me for his injections. His does still gape on occasion during the day tho. It may be to the increased temp. I am using a warm humidifier pointed to the enclosure and checked temp entering the cage to ensure it is not too hot. No more popping and wheezing, so that's good. His appetite has improved and he is more active since starting the 2nd antibiotic, so I'll have to wait and see how much he improves. I'll keep the mist on him until the symptoms resolve.

With Veileds increasing the humidity too much can actually make it worse. Many times URI is caused by too much heat and humidity in a glass or unventilated enclosure. Creating humidity with misters and waters is not quite like "natural" humidity.

Pull back on the heat at night. Its summer now. You shouldn't need it. Veils don't need as much humidity as Panthers due to locals however all Chams need a certain amount of humidity for their lungs to work. The idea of increasing it is to clear the lungs and get any residual fluid out of there. This is a temp measure until the LRI (NOT URI) is cleared.

With Veileds increasing the humidity too much can actually make it worse. Many times URI is caused by too much heat and humidity in a glass or unventilated enclosure. Creating humidity with misters and waters is not quite like "natural" humidity.

The humidity in the enclosure is usually 50-65% I have increased it to a steady 70-75% with the warm mist. The heat has increased in the basking area from 80-82 to approx 85. He is in an all screen enclosure which is well ventilated.

Pull back on the heat at night. Its summer now. You shouldn't need it. Veils don't need as much humidity as Panthers due to locals however all Chams need a certain amount of humidity for their lungs to work. The idea of increasing it is to clear the lungs and get any residual fluid out of there. This is a temp measure until the LRI (NOT URI) is cleared.

I turn off the humidifier at noc so the enclosure dries out completely and the humidity drops to 60% with a temp of 68. By the way, it's not summer here. Night time temps still in the 40's. I still have the heat on at noc so the temps don't drop too far.

Back
Top Bottom