Healthy poop?

Spikemomma

Established Member
Just looking to see is Spikes poo is looking healthy!?? It’s a little bit runny but he had a hornworm two day ago, and yesterday a cricket and dubia roach all dusted with calcium. Just trying to see if he is doing well as we just recently got him. Any advice or critiques appreciated, thank you
IMG_4637.jpeg

Hey there welcome to the forum. Where did you get him from? You have to pay the cham tax and post a pic of him too if we are looking at poo. :hilarious: Any odor to the fecal?

Hey there welcome to the forum. Where did you get him from? You have to pay the cham tax and post a pic of him too if we are looking at poo. :hilarious: Any odor to the fecal?
Thank you for the reply!’ Just found these forums and I am loving all the great information 🤩 he is a 4 yr old veiled, I got him just 6 days ago, off Craigslist. No unusual odor to it. And how could I forget 😆 here is Spike and his home

Attachments

• IMG_4605.jpeg
    IMG_4605.jpeg
    249.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4612.jpeg
    IMG_4612.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4647.jpeg
    IMG_4647.jpeg
    236.6 KB · Views: 18
Thank you for the reply!’ Just found these forums and I am loving all the great information 🤩 he is a 4 yr old veiled, I got him just 6 days ago, off Craigslist. No unusual odor to it. And how could I forget 😆 here is Spike and his home
So I would go ahead and get the fecal tested to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load. Just based on the look of it and also his low body weight. For ones this old its far more common for them to be obese rather than under weight like this little man is. Parasites unfortunately are a very common cause of weight issues.

Limbs look nice and straight so the lean to the casque is more than likely not related to MBD. Just make sure his supplements are on point in case he has anything going on with lack of proper supplementation from the prior owner.

If you decide you want to do a husbandry review just let us know. :)

So I would go ahead and get the fecal tested to ensure he is not carrying a parasite load. Just based on the look of it and also his low body weight. For ones this old its far more common for them to be obese rather than under weight like this little man is. Parasites unfortunately are a very common cause of weight issues.

Limbs look nice and straight so the lean to the casque is more than likely not related to MBD. Just make sure his supplements are on point in case he has anything going on with lack of proper supplementation from the prior owner.

Yes I would love a review, we are just finishing getting his vivarium set up so I know it could definitely be better but all criticism is appreciated so we can do better. And thank you!! I already disposed of this batch of matter, but I will keep that in mind with the next passing I see, where would you get it tested? And what supplements do you recommend? So far we have been using calcium without d3 except for 1 time where we used d3.

I do think he was getting underfed before as his previous keeper said he had just been eating mealworms and super worms.

I do think he was getting underfed before as his previous keeper said he had just been eating mealworms and super worms.
Yeah but superworms do have a higher fat level which is why they are only recommended as snacks rather than as staple feeders.

Do you have other reptiles or chameleons? This would be a concern with not getting a fecal sample done to rule out parasites. You can cross contaminate to other reptiles. If he is your only one then you could pass on a fecal if right now is not a good time and see if he puts on some weight. But then get a fecal done later. Granted If you can get it done now this is my suggestion for anyone bringing in a brand new chameleon unless they bought from a breeder that does fecals prior to shipping.

Reguardless of what you choose. You could feed him daily right now 4-5 insects so he can put on some muscle and weight.

Yeah but superworms do have a higher fat level which is why they are only recommended as snacks rather than as staple feeders.

Do you have other reptiles or chameleons? This would be a concern with not getting a fecal sample done to rule out parasites. You can cross contaminate to other reptiles. If he is your only one then you could pass on a fecal if right now is not a good time and see if he puts on some weight. But then get a fecal done later. Granted If you can get it done now this is my suggestion for anyone bringing in a brand new chameleon unless they bought from a breeder that does fecals prior to shipping.
I do not have any other reptiles he is our only , I will definitely look into getting it tested soon, where would I go about that? And what supplements do you recommend?

I do not have any other reptiles he is our only , I will definitely look into getting it tested soon, where would I go about that? And what supplements do you recommend?
I also believe he is starting to shed so he doesn’t have much appetite sadly right now.

So in this thread there are vet resources. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veterinarian-resources.67/ and I am tagging @elizaann2 to share the vet list she has created in case there is one near you. But you find a vet that deals with reptiles at the very least and call. See if you can drop off a fecal sample first before bringing him in. Some may make you bring him in with the fecal to send out for testing. Get the poop portion of the fecal and put it in a plastic zip lock bag. You want to take it in within 24 hours of him passing it.
I also believe he is starting to shed so he doesn’t have much appetite sadly right now.
Yeah this can be normal for some when shedding. See what his appetite does when he completes the shed. If it does not increase then a fecal test is needed.

Supplements would be a plain calcium without D3 at every feeding and then a multivitamin that has D3 and A in it used two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. I prefer repashy calcium plus LoD for the multivitamin. Supplements would be lightly dusted prior to feeding.

So in this thread there are vet resources. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/veterinarian-resources.67/ and I am tagging @elizaann2 to share the vet list she has created in case there is one near you. But you find a vet that deals with reptiles at the very least and call. See if you can drop off a fecal sample first before bringing him in. Some may make you bring him in with the fecal to send out for testing. Get the poop portion of the fecal and put it in a plastic zip lock bag. You want to take it in within 24 hours of him passing it.

Yeah this can be normal for some when shedding. See what his appetite does when he completes the shed. If it does not increase then a fecal test is needed.

Supplements would be a plain calcium without D3 at every feeding and then a multivitamin that has D3 and A in it used two times a month say the 1st and the 15th. I prefer repashy calcium plus LoD for the multivitamin. Supplements would be lightly dusted prior to feeding.
Gotcha thank you! Just tried to feed him a cricket without d3 and so far he hasn’t shown an interest in it. He just began his shed so I imagine it will be a few days before he is eating normal again but I will definitely track his eating on the calendar we got in the meantime. And I’ll look into a fecal test after.. thank you again for all the help you are amazing

Gotcha thank you! Just tried to feed him a cricket without d3 and so far he hasn’t shown an interest in it. He just began his shed so I imagine it will be a few days before he is eating normal again but I will definitely track his eating on the calendar we got in the meantime. And I’ll look into a fecal test after.. thank you again for all the help you are amazing
My pleasure. If you have any more questions just post them. We are a pretty friendly group and always happy to help new keepers. :)

Hello! Attached you'll find our vet spreadsheet! Let me know if you have any questions!

Attachments

• Exotic Vet Recommendations - U.S.A..pdf
    147.5 KB · Views: 16
Back
Top Bottom