Have you dealt with mites on your cham?

BocaJan

I got a fella veiled called Spike who has been an outside cham for over a year and he had a lot of black and dark green coloring on his body. Well, I was going to set him up a cage for some outside time, but it has been so hot I left him in the house. He really enjoyed a lot of misting so I indulged him and gave him a dripper which he sat under as long as there was something dripping. I noticed a shed coming on and I can't tell you it was something I hadn't seen before. The skin was so thick it was like packing tape, not flaky at all. It took a month and there are still spots that haven't come off and it looks like there is another shed underneath that one. I soaked him and helped the tail shed come off because it appeared to be strangling the tip (poor baby) and he seemed so happy to be sitting in that warm water.

I was reading that there is the possibility of mites being between the layers of shed. Has anyone had experience with this? I want to be sure before I go through all the cleaning process. I haven't seen anything moving on him and I haven't seen anything in his cage that looks like white eggs.

This isn't a common occurrence, but I was hoping that someone would know something about this.

Last edited:
Does anyone know about mites on chameleons? It can be serious even though it doesn't happen often.

Never had mites on any chameleon....don't remember hearing about any chameleons having them either. Sorry I can't be of any help on this.

Back
Top Bottom