Burn It All Down! Spider Mites

Andrew1283

Chameleon Enthusiast
The enclosure isn’t even a month old and it’s infested with spider mites. I researched posts from the past and it looks like I have 3 options.

1) Drown the mites by keeping the enclosure misted heavily. This should slow their reproduction because they like dry conditions.

2) Spray them with isopropyl alcohol and send them back to hell where they belong.

3) Get a new enclosure with new plants, sticks, and wipe down all light fixtures, tubing, pumps, wires, stand, etc with alcohol to kill any stragglers.

THIS SUCKS. I can’t use pesticides because Bert drinks off the leaves and sometimes the screens. I feel itchy just talking about this and don’t want Bert feeling itchy or uncomfortable. Spider mites have mouth piercing parts used to suck moisture and nutrients from the undersides of leaves. If they are on him I feel terrible. He’s not itching himself thank God.

Bert is living in there and he can’t possibly eat them, they’re so small. And yep, they’re spider webs. The tell tale sign is their little webs ye little bastards.

HERE I GO AGAIIINNN ON MY OWNNNNN. GOING DOWN THE ONLY ROAD IVE EVER KNOWN!

Attachments

• F632F829-4607-4F38-8832-E32F97AEF165.jpeg
    F632F829-4607-4F38-8832-E32F97AEF165.jpeg
    245.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 421D036B-5224-4DB0-9980-CA8AD6B4347E.jpeg
    421D036B-5224-4DB0-9980-CA8AD6B4347E.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Instead, how about trying some natural predators to them? Here’s an article that may help. https://pestgnome.com/blog/pest-control/how-to-get-rid-of-spider-mites/
The article suggests I use:

Lacewings - Only eat spider mites during the larval stage. When they sprout wings their whole objective is mating. I don’t know how larvae is going to cover the entire inside of this enclosure and the plant leaves without running amok in my house.

Thrips - Also eat plants so that’s no help.

Ladybugs - Are poisonous so nope, can’t have Bert eating them.

Other mites - Noooo way am I adding more mites to create a different problem.

You got a mite-y problem on your hands.

Is neem oil an option? I have no idea, it’s what my boyfriend used for his plants. Kinda stinks.
Good luck though.
Neem oil is supposedly pet safe but all warnings say don’t ingest it. And if chams lick water off leaves… that’s potentially a toxic situation

Neem oil is supposedly pet safe but all warnings say don’t ingest it. And if chams lick water off leaves… that’s potentially a toxic situation
Very good point.
Probably just better off taking Bert out for a little bit and dousing the place in alcohol? Maybe at night have him in a box or tote so he can sleep and put him back in the morning.
I’m just throwing things out there

Very good point.
Probably just better off taking Bert out for a little bit and dousing the place in alcohol? Maybe at night have him in a box or tote so he can sleep and put him back in the morning.
I’m just throwing things out there
I don’t know why I didn’t consider this but I can also use compressed air to blast those mites out of the enclosure. They can’t survive without plant material so they will die pretty quick. I’m going to Staples to buy some of those duster cans and will blow them to high heaven. Also!! When you blow those cans enough, liquid nitrogen comes out and will freeze mites to death. Alcohol and air duster.

Attachments

• 0257A822-5695-4F59-8A1E-BDEE63CB94AE.jpeg
    0257A822-5695-4F59-8A1E-BDEE63CB94AE.jpeg
    175.5 KB · Views: 30
I don’t know why I didn’t consider this but I can also use compressed air to blast those mites out of the enclosure. They can’t survive without plant material so they will die pretty quick. I’m going to Staples to buy some of those duster cans and will blow them to high heaven. Also!! When you blow those cans enough, liquid nitrogen comes out and will freeze mites to death. Alcohol and air duster.
What about a hair dryer? Not enough to blast them but enough to cook them I’m sure.

I don’t want to cook the plants to death and unfortunately these mites like dry heat. Bursts of air will dislodge them and send them airborne. Their life cycle is just 14 days from egg to death so I’ll air duster and alcohol spray them into oblivion!
Let us know how it goes!

Spider mites can’t fly. They can spin a web and catch a breeze (ballooning) to fly but that’s not going to work indoors. Imagine being a microscopic organism and getting blasted by compressed gas the equivalent of New York to Los Angeles! Then you have 12 days to walk back and lay more eggs (with no food or water) before you die. Aint happening!

Alright folks so a few things I learned:

1) Compressed air won’t dislodge spider mites from screens. They have a really good grip!

2) Isopropyl alcohol immediately kills them but it stinks. You don’t want that stuff getting in your pets eyes. The pothos plants seem really resilient to alcohol, probably because of the waxy coating on their leaves. Take the cham out of the enclosure and go to town with alcohol in a spray bottle!

3) Duster cans like this absolutely kill mites if you hold it upside down. The compressed (non-toxic) liquid coming out of the can is about -60 degrees farenheit so it freezes mites on contact. Sweet sweet mite murder.

4). Bert doesn’t seem to care about any of this. He’s continuing to eat on his little plant next to the enclosure like a careless goat in an open field. He’s really changed since I moved him into a communal space

Attachments

• DFD708B6-8FD7-4D3C-9BB5-E426AE8FE2C6.jpeg
    DFD708B6-8FD7-4D3C-9BB5-E426AE8FE2C6.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 25
Day 3 - Captain’s Log
I have thoroughly enjoyed freezing the mites to death. The are clearly drawn to the lights that emit heat, like the basking lamp and the plant LED. I’ve read that they don’t like the cold so when my night temps drop to 65 and the lights kick on in the AM, they are getting drawn upwards…to the freeze zone!

I’m tempted to put a small heat pad in there at night and see if they congregate on it. Then blasto! Alcohol spray

Day 3 - Captain’s Log
I have thoroughly enjoyed freezing the mites to death. The are clearly drawn to the lights that emit heat, like the basking lamp and the plant LED. I’ve read that they don’t like the cold so when my night temps drop to 65 and the lights kick on in the AM, they are getting drawn upwards…to the freeze zone!

I’m tempted to put a small heat pad in there at night and see if they congregate on it. Then blasto! Alcohol spray
This cracks me up! Caption’s log….hahahaha!!!

Sorry if this seems off but you couldn’t you just remove the live plants, switch to artificial plants in cage while you treat the live plants in your garage?

Back
Top Bottom