Hatch date celebration

Beppo

Chameleon Enthusiast
So I inadvertently scheduled Jebs vet visit on his hatch date 😂 This coming Monday. I am really really hoping this vet is knowledgeable, as I didn’t have good luck last time. She does come recommended and her receptionist said she has chameleon experience. I would feel so much better if my little dude was established somewhere 🤞🏻he’s getting his first fecal done. Is there anything else I should have done/ask while there?
(Baby Jebs first day with me 👇)

Attachments

• IMG_7987.jpeg
    IMG_7987.jpeg
    201 KB · Views: 49
Oh congratulations!!!!

My vet does a fecal, weight and then general physical check unless I think something is wrong.

I personally wouldn’t do a blood draw or X-ray unless you think something is wrong and you’ve exhausted all other options to figuring out what off with him.

Also I was obnoxious and interviewed my vet before I decided to go with her. Just because they have chameleon experience doesn’t mean it’s current or correct.

Happy Hatch Day gorgeous Jeb! 🥳💗
It’s so hard to find a vet that knows chameleons and keeps up to date. I’ve found that even when they do have experience and see them often, they still insist on stupid things like warm soaks for hydration. (Where did this myth come from about reptiles absorbing water thru their vents?!) As long as the rest of their knowledge and treatments are appropriate, I just smile and nod about the stuff I know is wrong. I can’t imagine having to know perfect husbandry for so many different animals plus all of their medical knowledge. Anyhow, give Jeb some yummy birthday treats for me. 🥰

Happy hatch day Jeb!

So fecal, weight, and look him over... I would not allow xrays, blood draw, or vitamin shots etc. This should be a very gentle experience for you and him. Additionally I always ask that the tech does not handle my cham. I had one come in prior to the vet once and it was very clear she did not know what she was doing. Take a fresh fecal without urate in a plastic baggy.

Also I was obnoxious and interviewed my vet before I decided to go with her. Just because they have chameleon experience doesn’t mean it’s current or correct.
I was trying to pry more but the office seemed busy. I think you are right though I am paying good money and it’s important I’m going to call back for reassure 😆

Happy hatch day Jeb!

So fecal, weight, and look him over... I would not allow xrays, blood draw, or vitamin shots etc. This should be a very gentle experience for you and him. Additionally I always ask that the tech does not handle my cham. I had one come in prior to the vet once and it was very clear she did not know what she was doing. Take a fresh fecal without urate in a plastic baggy.
Ok thanks. When I took him to the emergency exotic vet that was the first thing they did that turned me off, the way they handled him made me want to cry. I am going to request they don’t!

Happy Hatch Day gorgeous Jeb! 🥳💗
It’s so hard to find a vet that knows chameleons and keeps up to date. I’ve found that even when they do have experience and see them often, they still insist on stupid things like warm soaks for hydration. (Where did this myth come from about reptiles absorbing water thru their vents?!) As long as the rest of their knowledge and treatments are appropriate, I just smile and nod about the stuff I know is wrong. I can’t imagine having to know perfect husbandry for so many different animals plus all of their medical knowledge. Anyhow, give Jeb some yummy birthday treats for me. 🥰
Thank you!

Happy hatch day Jeb!

This is helpful information for me as well. I never thought about the vet techs handling my chameleons.

This is helpful information for me as well. I never thought about the vet techs handling my chameleons.
Yeah while my vet had basic experience with chams the tech really did not. It was very clear she thought she could just pluck him out of my carry case as if he were a bearded dragon. I quickly asked her to give him to me and let me get the weight on him. I was newer so it was something I had not though of either lol.

Good morning.
I’ve managed to get a sample for Jebs fecal, it’s from yesterday afternoon. Do you think that will be fine? I put it in a ziplock in the fridge. I live on a small island so all the exotic vets are about and hour to hour in a half drive. They had mentioned it must be within 24 hrs and that I could just drop one off at a later time if he doesn’t provide one before the visit, but that’s a bit easier said then done. It’s cutting in close in time, what do you guys think? Would it be worth it to have it run?

Back
Top Bottom