Gutload recipe for dubias

JuniorC

Avid Member
Thinking of doing the ice cube method. I saw theres a recipe video that's pretty popular that has been shared around, so from peoples experience would you recommend the same recipe? And how often they be fed? Feed enough for them to eat at night only or make sure they have something at all times? Could use all the advice I can get

Good ingredients to use for gutloading: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa

Sort of good things to use for gutloading: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans

Bad things to use for gutloading: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, and vertebrates

Dry ingredients to use: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds

Foods to boost immune health: bee pollen, cantaloupe, carrots, green peppers, kale, mangoes, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, oranges, nectarines, tangerines, peaches, pink grapefruit, pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, berries, apples, nuts, and watermelon

Foods to aid with nerve and eye health: whole grains, dark leafy greens, flax seed, almonds, and Brazil nuts

Good ingredients to use for gutloading: mustard greens, turnip greens, dandelion leaves, collard greens, escarole lettuce, papaya, watercress and alfalfa

Sort of good things to use for gutloading: sweet potato, carrots, oranges, mango, butternut squash, kale, apples, beet greens, blackberries, bok choy and green beans

Bad things to use for gutloading: potatoes, cabbage, iceberg lettuce, romaine lettuce, spinach, broccoli, tomatoes, corn, grains, beans, oats, bread, cereal, meat, eggs, dog food, cat food, fish food, canned or dead insects, and vertebrates

Dry ingredients to use: bee pollen, organic non-salted sunflower seeds, spirulina, dried seaweed, flax seed and organic non-salted almonds

Foods to boost immune health: bee pollen, cantaloupe, carrots, green peppers, kale, mangoes, turnip greens, mustard greens, collard greens, oranges, nectarines, tangerines, peaches, pink grapefruit, pumpkin, squash, sweet potato, berries, apples, nuts, and watermelon

Foods to aid with nerve and eye health: whole grains, dark leafy greens, flax seed, almonds, and Brazil nuts
Thank you

You're welcome! I personally don't use the ice cube technique. I just put in fresh gutload the night before so I can't weigh-in on the Jell-O question. As far as how often they should be fed, everyone agrees that they should be fed at least 24 hours before. As far as at night only or all the time, that's when you'll get differing opinions. I personally pick out the bugs I'm going to feed off the night before to ensure they are gutloaded well, and then feed the rest of my bugs a few times a week.

I make ice cubes... kinda have to because I end up with such a large batch. Makes for convenient feeding, but I also use small silicone molds so I can offer small amounts to different colonies.

Get creative. If you freeze it, and have a good variety and texture, you dont need anything to hold it together. I do add a bit of bug burger/superload, but not enough to bind it. Here are some combos I recently made - It made months worth of gutload.

E38F28B6-19C3-4D32-AD8D-C3F8A718CB57.jpeg 3C1F2CD1-A81D-472B-884E-B92E2D30456C.jpeg 2E4868F9-82F9-4241-A63E-57DF35036F8B.jpeg E87D07B7-4D8F-40C9-AE4A-AD2685DD1078.jpeg

I like to use things like collards, kale, pumpkin, papaya (including seeds!!), bell peppers, bee pollen, spirulina, bug burger/superload, mango, blueberries, green beans, carrots, and sweet potato. I’s substitute another green for kale but I usually have some on hand for clarice (her fav snack... but is thought to affect calcium absorption in large quantities)

I also see people use flavorless jello to help with texture? Thoughts on this

Nope, Jello is Animal fat. Thats a fast track to Gout and a half.

Agar Agar would be fine.

If you blend the mix real liquid like, you can use the Agar Agar and make a "Jello" and then you dont need to freeze it, and you can add natural preservatives to make it keep longer, when not in the fridge.

Last edited:
Where would you find agar agar?

Amazon, Trader Joes, Health Food stores, maybe a local grocery. Walmart didn't have it when I looked, but maybe a smaller local grocery might.

Its some kind of Seaweed extract. Its used as a vegan alternative for Gelatin.

You have to experiment with what you like, how much use case. If you use alot of Agar, it will set hard and hold its form and not liquify much, if you use a little the juices will "sweat" from the jelly. I made a bunch last time, so I am still using it, and its sweaty and I dont like that, so next time I will use more. Agar also has a good bit of calcium in it, so thats good.

I based, roughly from a guide that said 1 cup water, 1 cup banana, brown sugar, and some other stuff for beetles, I made that one and a veggie based one for the roaches. I figured 2 cups was the total so used 1/2 tbsp for that blend, it sweats alot. Next time I want to play with it more, but maybe 1/2 TBSP, per cup of gutload would be best.

It costs substantially more than Gelatin, but this is what Gelatin is...

"Gelatin is a yellowish, odorless, and nearly tasteless substance that is made by prolonged boiling of skin, cartilage, and bones from animals. It's made primarily from the stuff meat industries have left over — we're talking about pork skins, horns, and cattle bones. "

There is a Vegan Preservative that should be okay, maybe kind of, its vegetable based, I have to find it again. You can use orange juice in the mix, to act as a natural preservative too, and roaches love oranges. I havent got to play with, or research that aspect enough yet to be sure.

Last edited:
I will look for it!

Im not vegan, but the ingredients of gelatin is just gross to me. Who would want to eat that?

Maybe its the way they put it.. doesn't sound appetizing!

The skin and bones don'tt bother me, its the cartilage. I don't want to eat a pig ear, thank you very much! :hilarious:

You ever had French onion soup? So good!

Also, an on-topic question:

What are the red-purple veggies on the bottom of your blender in the first pic?

Maybe its the way they put it.. doesn't sound appetizing!

The skin and bones don'tt bother me, its the cartilage. I don't want to eat a pig ear, thank you very much! :hilarious:

You ever had French onion soup? So good!

Also, an on-topic question:

What are the red-purple veggies on the bottom of your blender in the first pic?

Im jk, they do sound gross! But in more food than I like to think about.

The blue/purple stuff was frozen blueberries.

Nope, Jello is Animal fat. Thats a fast track to Gout and a half.

Agar Agar would be fine.

If you blend the mix real liquid like, you can use the Agar Agar and make a "Jello" and then you dont need to freeze it, and you can add natural preservatives to make it keep longer, when not in the fridge.

I thought you gout gout from too much mammal protein(mainly organ meat) or bugs fed a high protein diet that stored it as uric acid. I didnt think you got it from fat or connective tissue.

I thought you gout gout from too much mammal protein(mainly organ meat) or bugs fed a high protein diet that stored it as uric acid. I didnt think you got it from fat or connective tissue.
I think you’re right about protein. However, there can be a genetic predisposition for gout as well, just like in people. Indeed, vegetarians can get gout, and chameleons that eat lower protein sources can get it too.

Back
Top Bottom