Gulping down a superworm???

Monkeykungphu

First time I've seen my chameleon do this... so bear with me if it sounds like a silly question. I just went to feed my 4.5 mo old ambilobe panther a small superworm off my hand, when he shot it with his tongue, he just retracted back in his mouth without chewing at all!

I was like uh... now what? I keep wondering how long will it take the superworm to die from the stomach acid, or if Nugget will crush him internally somehow? I'm just hoping the superworm doesn't bite up his insides or cause any digestion issues, etc...

Any thoughts on this?

Superworms (even large ones) die (drown) near instantly in just a few drops of water. Dont worry about it doing any damage. Even if it was able to "bite" the inside of the chameleons throat, it wouldnt be any worse damage than the spines on cricket, grasshopper and roach legs could do.

If your chameleon gets in the habit of not chewing, you may want to poke a pin hole into the side of the super (and other prey) prior to feeding, to ensure digestive juices get in there fast. Not to kill the super, but to ensure the chameleon gets full nutritional value from what it eats (rather than potentially pooping out half digested food)

Thanks Sandra! Makes me feel MUCH better. :D Didn't really think about it, but you're right... I'd imagine their stomaches would have to have some strong strong linings to contend with some of the rough things they'd occasionally devour in nature.

Back
Top Bottom