Growing ficus from cuttings

Thompson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I want to start growing a couple of my own ficus from some cuttings. I've tried this before but failed lol. Can someone give me some advice on growing cuttings from a ficus? Thanks!

Rooting hormone, moist (not wet) vermicultie/perlite/sand medium, "older" wood is better (not too green), not too many leaves, cover (tent) with clear plastic, lots of indirect light.

Did you try root powder? It usually helps. I usually slice the base of my branches at an angle to increase surface area of cut area, dip in water, dip in powder, poke a hole in your soil with a pencil, etc., stick branch in soil, push soil together around newly planted stem.

Don't over water, when you do water try watering near the edge of the pot to encourage them branch to create roots to reach the moist areas. Works for me. Good luck! :)

K thanks :) I don't have a rooting hormone but I can check and see if my nursery will have some. About how long should I expect to see new leaves?

About how long should I expect to see new leaves?

Let's just say I wouldn't hold your breath! lol. Honestly, it will take a couple of weeks for your plant to really start growing some roots & then probably a few more before it starts getting into the swing of really growing above the soil. If you're in a hurry, you're best off just buying some more. If you don't mind waiting, you mine as well make a bunch of them while you're in the process of doing it.

K thanks :) I don't have a rooting hormone but I can check and see if my nursery will have some. About how long should I expect to see new leaves?

it will likely be cheaper to buy at a home depot or wallmart than a nursery. Its kinda fun to do once. but it Takes a long while before you get a useful sized plant. I've given up on the time and effort of rooting fiscus and just buy them now.
Ya I have a bunch of cuttings that I'm trying to grow right now. Hope it workds :D
good luck! :)

Thanks sandrachameleon :) I'll try and be patient with them and see how succesful I'll be in a couple months.

I agree with ridgebax1 try air layering you can still use some root hormone. This way the plant will be able to keep nutrient going to the portion you will be cutting.

The only problem is I wouldn't leave the plant In Your viv with your Cham.

Back
Top Bottom