Grinding Teeth on Rocks!

Marc10edora

Avid Member
I don't know what gives with this guy. He has been doing some unusual behavior that I've never noticed with my first cham. Today I noticed my 4 month old panther trying to eat one of the large stones at the bottom of his potted ficus tree. He opened his mouth realy wide and grabed on. Then he started grinding his teeth from left to right like he was sharpening them. The rocks are way too big for him to swallow, so I'm not worried about that.

He can't be hungry either, because I saw him eat about 20 crickets today. Also I've noticed he ocasionally eats the bark off his manzanita branch. This is the first time I've ever seen or heard of this behavior. Any ideas of what is going on?

My panther did the exact same things when he was younger! He eventually just kind of grew out of the rock-chewing thing...I don't really know why they do it though:confused:

He still chews on the branches of his ficus occasionally, he once bit a pothos vine in half...I think, he thought, it was a hornworm;)

I just saw my 4 and a half month old panther doing this... Anyone have any idea what it could mean? Should I try to stop him if I see him do it again?

Strangely enough, my 4 month old started doing this today too. He went down to do it twice.

It was very loud, I could hear it like nails on a chalkboard. Removed the rocks as suggested by another member.

He seemed to stop, but it was pretty odd. He doesn't have alot of color at this age, but I am positive he wasn't throwing stress bars or fired up while doing it.

Is this somewhat normal behavior for younger chameleons? If any of the senior members have had any experience with this, I would love to know more about it.

Pretty common.....

It's pretty common for the juvies to gnaw on rocks or climbing branches. I've often wondered if it is part of "exploring" their world and what things can be eaten. I've also wondered if it could be boredom. Juvies seem to roam all over the place and like to "do" things. Adults are a little more laid back and like to watch the world around them. Just my thoughts because I've wondered about it too.

It's pretty common for the juvies to gnaw on rocks or climbing branches. I've often wondered if it is part of "exploring" their world and what things can be eaten. I've also wondered if it could be boredom. Juvies seem to roam all over the place and like to "do" things. Adults are a little more laid back and like to watch the world around them. Just my thoughts because I've wondered about it too.

Thanks for the insight, I really appreciate it. On the "boredom" note. That sounds about right. He usually explores a few hours after eating in the morning and I often hear rocks knocked over, but never saw the reason until today.

Today, when I heard the grinding, and when I heard him fiddling with rocks before, he seemed to just be wandering up and down aimlessly. Always after he is full and after he finishes basking up after a mist.

I heard this horrible sound from the other room. Like someone was dragging a garbage can outside across the pavement.

Turned out is was one of my adult panthers grinding his teeth on a window latch. Bizarre. He did it for a couple days in a row. Haven't heard him do it lately

I heard this horrible sound from the other room. Like someone was dragging a garbage can outside across the pavement.

Turned out is was one of my adult panthers grinding his teeth on a window latch. Bizarre. He did it for a couple days in a row. Haven't heard him do it lately

maybe when they get bored they try to play with things? every animal does something for recreation. So maybe they do it for fun?

These are such odd creatures, and we still have a lot to learn about them. I guess thats the best thing about them =)

Do you know what to use to cover the soil instead of rocks??? ive gotta have something down cos if not he eats the soil... But my veiled has been doing it today.. not sure if its cos i done a slight change on his enclosure yesterday??

Do you know what to use to cover the soil instead of rocks??? ive gotta have something down cos if not he eats the soil... But my veiled has been doing it today.. not sure if its cos i done a slight change on his enclosure yesterday??

you can put screen mesh down over the soil. just make sure if your only doing it in a pot that you cut it long, and stuff it around the sides

Back
Top Bottom