Greenhouses

Make sure to clean those 'poop out windows'. Never seen anyone do fecal checks like that before. :D
Greenhouses should be a prerequisite for keeping chameleons. In my opinion, the only true and humane way. In all fairness, I myself am forced to use cages due to living in a townhouse. Makes me feel guilty sometimes. I do take advantage of my skylights and had french doors installed in the back room. I can swing them out to let in sun when the weather permits. I converted my shed once for herps, but am afraid of theft. It's a no win situation. Looks GREAT Jeremy. A true responsible chameleon keeper.

Sure. With me it is actually algae build up not poop. Poop does not last long with the climate I have made in my greenhouse. At the new location the greenhouse is under the cover of trees meaning the greenhouse and the greenhouse plants do not receive as much direct sun light compared to when they were out on the ranch location. However whenever I have got extra time when I am tending to the greenhouse water blasting the greenhouse walls and chameleons enclosure is a regular duty.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Bullies!!
Just send me Rhino and all is forgiven. :D

Yeah, I think Jeremy missed the joke. :eek: I will clarify it with him during our next PM discussion of movies. Don't feel bad, you should see the abuse I give Todd from LYR. He has a good sense of humor when picked on. I can give him props for that!

Bullies!!
Just send me Rhino and all is forgiven. :D

I am a big fella nobody is going to bully me to much. Rhinos is staying here though.

Yeah, I think Jeremy missed the joke. :eek: I will clarify it with him during our next PM discussion of movies. Don't feel bad, you should see the abuse I give Todd from LYR. He has a good sense of humor when picked on. I can give him props for that!

Props for staying cordial about the "poop" or "pop" out windows.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
The greenhouse thread is being updated finally and has not had an update in a long while. The greenhouse is in a period of renovations. These are a couple of photo's. There is a lot of new additions being made.

PCS2Vh.jpg

26VG0d.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
These are some progress photo's of the greenhouse renovation. These are the new Calumma parsonii parsonii enclosures. The new enclosures have similar size as the old Calumma parsonii parsonii enclosures. However they are totally new. Some of the major upgrades this time is the Parsonii enclosures are made out of aluminum not wood this time. Plus the screening was upgraded to vinyl covered hardware clothe rather than normal hardware clothe.

This is the new large Calumma parsonii parsonii enclosure. This is not Rhinos my male Orange Eye White Lipped Calumma parsonii parsonii old wood enclosure.
d05XYH.jpg

This is another new Calumma parsonii parsonii enclosure. This enclosure is bigger than it looks. A person could fit inside of this enclosure.
YIr5MP.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Looks great Jeremy! Did you design and construct them yourself?

Zac

Thanks. The original enclosure designs were mine. My father and I for the most part stayed to the original design when building these new enclosures. The modifications we both dad and I consulted about problem points/areas. The Parsonii enclosures has made for a good holiday something goings on with the family.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

It has been a while since I posted about my Calumma parsonii parsonii or my greenhouse. However these are some photos of Gamora inside one of the new greenhouse enclosures today. She seems to be responding spectacularly from her recent move from the aquarium room to the greenhouse.

9c6rcJ.jpg

0gO1kN.jpg

dspDFK.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Wow wow wow absolutely amazing . I need a GREEN HOUSE !. All the possibilities !.

I figured I would post this. This is a link to the greenhouse company that sold me my greenhouse (www.conleys.com) mine was a Conleys Hobby House, residential structure, that is a 12 by 12. For about the price of a pair of Parsons I think this greenhouse was good deal. The greenhouse has got to be heated in northern areas for a couple months out of the year, however can produce year round desired conditions (high humidity, light intensity, temperature (on a thermostat and is capable of low and high temperatures) and extra greenery) that not many reptile rooms can match. Plus all the reptiles and insects are out of the main house. Conely charges a small fortune for installation (about the same price as the greenhouse itself), however, if your handy enough you could assemble the greenhouse yourself. Plus swamp cooler and pro pain heaters are separate.

The only major problem is producing UV rays for reptile requirements that I'm attempting to solve. If worse came to worse I could just hand water the chameleons and greenhouse (for humidity) then put Zoo Med 10.0 tubes over all the cages. If you live in areas with extreme heat and cold temperatures can be a problem occasionally.

I see there are 8 pages of replies here, so I hope I’m not reiterating what others have said. I too house my chams in a greenhouse. Mine is 24x12 and is a double poly inflated. I live in southern Canada, and winters here drop to -25c (-13f). I use a gas fired modine to heat during the winter. Though about 0.00001% of uvb makes it through two layers of poly, I used the position of the sun, and some basic astronomy and figured out the optimum place to locate any enclosures. Over these locations, I framed square openings, cut the poly, and replaced it with a double layer of uv transparent acrylic. With careful calculations, my chams enjoy plenty of natural uvb over winter.

That being said, they go outside to their summer enclosures as of May 1st. Any

Somehow i just saw this thread....awesome green house there brother Jeremy(y)

(y) Thanks greenhouses are great. I have had a great time with mine.

Wow wow wow absolutely amazing . I need a GREEN HOUSE !. All the possibilities !.

You are a fan of greenhouses. That is how it all starts.

I see there are 8 pages of replies here, so I hope I’m not reiterating what others have said. I too house my chams in a greenhouse. Mine is 24x12 and is a double poly inflated. I live in southern Canada, and winters here drop to -25c (-13f). I use a gas fired modine to heat during the winter. Though about 0.00001% of uvb makes it through two layers of poly, I used the position of the sun, and some basic astronomy and figured out the optimum place to locate any enclosures. Over these locations, I framed square openings, cut the poly, and replaced it with a double layer of uv Bottomtransparent acrylic. With careful calculations, my chams enjoy plenty of natural uvb over winter.

That being said, they go outside to their summer enclosures as of May 1st. Any

Technology amazes me sometimes. The cut out single layer of poly is thick and insulating enough to insulate your greenhouse during the winter. Anyways when you can make them work out greenhouses are the way to go. You should post pictures of your greenhouse.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

(y) Thanks greenhouses are great. I have had a great time with mine.

You are a fan of greenhouses. That is how it all starts.

Technology amazes me sometimes. The cut out single layer of poly is thick and insulating enough to insulate your greenhouse during the winter. Anyways when you can make them work out greenhouses are the way to go. You should post pictures of your greenhouse.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Huge fan one day I will live in one with all my chameleon’s . My own oasis !.

HaHaHa one day and hopefully it is going to be as an add on to a main house. The sprayers over the bed and home interior don't work that great. LOL

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich
Lol who need sleep when they got little gems to Stare at . I don’t sleep much anyhow !. A tent off the left wing of the green house will do me just fine :) . Though you are correct I need to figure out the water source :unsure: . I have time to ponder that .

I have not update this thread in a long while. However I think I have found a brand of basking/UV light that is going to provide for the UVA and UVB requirements for the my montane chameleon greenhouse. I stopped using Zoo/Med bulbs and switched to an Italian company 100 watt Lugarti Bulbs. The UV readings have improve tremendously. Perviously the ZooMed UVA and UVB readings at 10-12 inches were 30-45 from the ZooMed UV lamps. While the Lugarti 100 watt bulbs gives a 140-240 UVA and UVB reading at 10-12 inches away from the Lugarti UV Lamp. That is a spectacular improvement. A matter of note my daytime UV readings for natural sunshine on the main outside free range tree is between 120-170. The one detail I am going to have to take care of is not putting the basking branches too close to these UV lights. These bulbs although they say heat on the box, they don't emit much heat. I think spectacular progress with regards to increased UV readings was made with switching to these new Lugarti UVA/UVB bulbs.

Z7CdzK.jpg

k79dct.jpg
5D9H2H.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Last edited:
Just to show other members of the Chameleon Forums how much UV these low heat lamps are emitting. I have got some UV readings from my Solarmeter from today a bluebird Spring natural sunshine day. Todays Spring outside UVB readings were right at 100. While Yesterdays Lugarti lamp readings were around the 200-220 mark. The greenhouse enclosures are well/densely planted. However I am going to monitor the enclosures with these UV lights for problems with these lights.

YBir9t.jpg

TFuOWv.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

This is a new post of what is going in my Montane Chameleon Greenhouse. To start these are a couple neat plants I am growing in my greenhouse. The first plant is a Plumberia species. The second is a Mexican Avocado cultivar. The tree I grew from a seed. That I got from a fruit, that was picked up from my local supermarket.

2BG6wn.jpg

VgoNmu.jpg

Then next is a couple photo's of Walter my male Calumma oshuaghnessy and his enclosure.

xoKHs5.jpg

lqkSi0.jpg

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom