Going to the Vet

Frances took months . She would dig I would think wow this is it then nothing . @opheliaeatsbugs eas a really really long while too .

This is very helpful information!! I think there is a lot of confusion still around egg-laying. I was always under the impression it should take no more than 48 hours -- but apparently this is not the case nor the experience of many female keepers. Interesting -- sounds like many of us here could be updated on this information.

@AnamCara said..."I was always under the impression it should take no more than 48 hours"...some of them will go down and dig a hole in a few hours and turn around and lay them and fill it in and go back to the branches in a day...others take their time and take a few days or longer. Hard to know why some are satisfied and get it over with quickly and others are more picky. We just have to go with the flow and try not to pull all our hair out ...and recognize when it's time to intervene!

This is very helpful information!! I think there is a lot of confusion still around egg-laying. I was always under the impression it should take no more than 48 hours -- but apparently this is not the case nor the experience of many female keepers. Interesting -- sounds like many of us here could be updated on this information.

She did so with both clutches . The sec was maybe 6 weeks of her checking out every pot in her condo . She did not dig little holes either . She would dig whole pots up , to the very bottom . She would fling the dirt out of her condo on the smaller pots . She was filthy for months do yo me not wanting to disturb her more then I had too as is .

Clelia beanie bean picked a teeny tiny pot . We only had her a short time . She was not huge nor did she show typical coloration . I contribute that to her burns . I went in to clean , put ointment on and feed her . She was digging . I closed her condos covered . Peaked in that evening and she laid covered and was up basking . Completely different experience .

One of my girls went with no "test holes" and just straight into egg laying in the first hole. It took maybe 4 hours, possibly less. I came home from work and she was digging. I set up my little security camera and by lights out she was asleep on her branch.

One of my other girls has 2 lay bin plants. She digs in both, knocking soil and sand all over - she'll even dig in the stuff she knocks out sometimes! She is closer to the "commonly described" process - will stop eating, dig many holes and watch them, dig all day etc.

My WC took about a week or more. She dug MANY times... even filling in the hole then digging it right back up! At no point did she entirely refuse foods (free ranged feeders). She also had 2 lay areas in her cage but wouldn't touch the sandy mix. She also tended to dig more shallow holes and be quicker about doing so, which I found interesting.

So within my little cham community, no two are the same. Most of my girls have laid more than once and even those may be similar but never quite the same. I'd say so long as shes digging and trying to lay and being active, shes working it out...

Best wishes!

One of my girls went with no "test holes" and just straight into egg laying in the first hole. It took maybe 4 hours, possibly less. I came home from work and she was digging. I set up my little security camera and by lights out she was asleep on her branch.

One of my other girls has 2 lay bin plants. She digs in both, knocking soil and sand all over - she'll even dig in the stuff she knocks out sometimes! She is closer to the "commonly described" process - will stop eating, dig many holes and watch them, dig all day etc.

My WC took about a week or more. She dug MANY times... even filling in the hole then digging it right back up! At no point did she entirely refuse foods (free ranged feeders). She also had 2 lay areas in her cage but wouldn't touch the sandy mix. She also tended to dig more shallow holes and be quicker about doing so, which I found interesting.

So within my little cham community, no two are the same. Most of my girls have laid more than once and even those may be similar but never quite the same. I'd say so long as shes digging and trying to lay and being active, shes working it out...

Best wishes!
Thank you!

Thank you!
On a side note, my veiled girl has been showing her gravid/receptive colors for MONTHS. I was beginning to start to worry a bit as she started to escape the "free range" and wander outside the porch (presumably looking for a lay spot)[see fig. 1] The last few days shes been rejecting all foods,even coveted silkworms and hornworms! Today, while I was at work of course, my wife sent me this photo [fig. 2].

Fig. 1 :
20191229_124616.jpg

Fig. 2 :

received_856966671402652.jpeg

So she's finally digging at least! [Infertile of course]

I was worried because she had her pretty colors on since about a month after I took her in. It even got to the point that I introduced my male panthers to her just to see what would happen - visually of course! Shes my only veiled so I always worry about her.

I hope your girl gets to business soon!!

Edit: two things I forgot... One is that her cage is a wreck because I've been scared to rearrange it and risk eggbinding her. And two, I'm moving this weekend, which now relieves a LOAD of stress. ALL my girls have now laid within the last 3 weeks... which is slightly interesting on it's own... meaning I don't have to worry about stressing them into eggbinding on the move, phew!

Was covered in dirt when I checked on her at about 8 am! I'll head back at lunch to see where shes at.
Just FYI; I told you my veiled was digging while I was at work and my wife sent me that photo. She dug all day yesterday, slept in the hole she dug, covered it this morning and began to dig another hole! So long as she's staying active or I guess digging actively, I'm only slightly concerned/stressed (typical during any lay process).

I have 5 females and it never just goes according to plan. It's always a variation and pretty amazing when you really stop and think about what it takes for them to drop eggs - be they fertile or not.

Hopefully both our girls make progress!

Whats her cage setup look like? Any chance she's not getting a good tunnel, either that it's not deep or long enough, or that hte soil isn't holding its form? Or maybe plant roots? Clarice digs on an angle and sorta tunnels horizontally until she hits a corner or plant roots. Maybe there's gold in them there hills.

Back
Top Bottom