Gnats, Gnats, Everywhere.

I will leave the out mutant giant mosquitos of texas and such but frankly i would let my cham anywhere near those 2 inch bastards ?‍♂️
They got em in TX too, eh? Around here, they're known as "Jersey Skeeters" but that may only be for humor sake. IDK if they're even the same species, but all mosquitoes are annoying barstads. (nodding agreement)

Yep taurus mites i think the trade name is the scientific name is Stratiolaelaps scimitus formerly Hypoaspis miles. They are specific in which larvae they go for which is fungus gnats. They die off once the target is eliminated, i would only use in a bio set up tho since hydrogen peroxide can be used on plants without harm (would have to rinse or dry before cham back in)
The carnivorous plants are good but the problem is they also attract insect's with scent so may not be a complete solution. Gave you looked at soil in pots too see if there is fungi evident?

Thank you. I can confirm the sundews work off experience. I had a soil gnat infestation so bad in my cham room that I couldn't breathe without getting them in my mouth. Within days of adding a few medium sized drosera capensis they were nearly black with flies and almost all of the gnats were wipes out. Within a week or two I was actually hoping to see gnats just so my sundews could keep getting free food lol.

Thank you. I can confirm the sundews work off experience. I had a soil gnat infestation so bad in my cham room that I couldn't breathe without getting them in my mouth. Within days of adding a few medium sized drosera capensis they were nearly black with flies and almost all of the gnats were wipes out. Within a week or two I was actually hoping to see gnats just so my sundews could keep getting free food lol.
Yes, but did they attract more insect to come chow down?

So there’s one problem...I have drosera spatulata and not capensis. :rolleyes: Time to go shopping again.

So there’s one problem...I have drosera spatulata and not capensis. :rolleyes: Time to go shopping again.

Ah yes I have a couple of those, but they're much smaller. Theyll catch stuff too, but the capensis are the best IME. All my drosera capensis got wiped out last year in my garage(stupid me, they usually come back but I neglected them a little too much this past year). I had dozens too, they would spread from flowering and dropping seeds. Would have gladly sent you one.

Ah yes I have a couple of those, but they're much smaller. Theyll catch stuff too, but the capensis are the best IME. All my drosera capensis got wiped out last year in my garage(stupid me, they usually come back but I neglected them a little too much this past year). I had dozens too, they would spread from flowering and dropping seeds. Would have gladly sent you one.
Just ordered a couple of capensis plus have another katchy on it’s way. One way or the other, the gnats days are numbered.

I got one of the Katchy's and have had it running non stop for the past ~48 hours. It has caught 100's of gnats, but the issue persists. I am hoping with a little more time it will improve. I am also trying out a bowl with apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and dish soap. I don't know how effective it will be, but I will see if any have died in it tomorrow. I don't care if there are a few gnats, I just don't want them flying in my nose, mouth, and eyes all the time. I don't even want to know how many I have swallowed while I sleep (the cage is in my bedroom).:(

I got one of the Katchy's and have had it running non stop for the past ~48 hours. It has caught 100's of gnats, but the issue persists. I am hoping with a little more time it will improve. I am also trying out a bowl with apple cider vinegar, water, sugar, and dish soap. I don't know how effective it will be, but I will see if any have died in it tomorrow. I don't care if there are a few gnats, I just don't want them flying in my nose, mouth, and eyes all the time. I don't even want to know how many I have swallowed while I sleep (the cage is in my bedroom).:(
This sounds like my life.

Back
Top Bottom