Gnats, gnats, everywhere.
Gnats, gnats, in my hair!
Gnats , gnats, little flies,
Gnats, gnats, in my eyes!

Gnats flying in my mouth.
Gnats all over my house!
Gnats always on my brain,
Gnats driving me INSANE!!

Now that the rhyme is done, what can be done about all these gnats? They are coming from the plants in Chuck Norris's enclosure. I have washed the plants, re-potted them, hung fly paper, even tried a cup of honey. But they just persist. I am about ready to trash the live plants and switch to all fake plants. I know live are preferred, but I can't deal with these gnats any longer. Please HELP!!

My girl catches them, is there anything wrong with that? It's awesome to see her catch mid air. Also since she loves flying things I'm gonna hatch her some moths to catch. She'll be be over the moon.

Gnats all over my house!

Now that the rhyme is done, what can be done about all these gnats? They are coming from the plants in Chuck Norris's enclosure. I have washed the plants, re-potted them, hung fly paper, even tried a cup of honey. But they just persist. I am about ready to trash the live plants and switch to all fake plants. I know live are preferred, but I can't deal with these gnats any longer. Please HELP!!
I was also cussing up a rant similar to this but with less rhymes... Then i got that thingy that @Beman linked.

But what happens when I run out of bugs to feed them? With the other thingy I just turn it off. Would I then have to feed the sundew because it ate all the bugs lol.
Interesting question. :unsure: Hopefully I will learn that answer. My Katchy hasn’t been able to dispense with all of the gnats so I recently got some sundews to catch the stragglers.

But what happens when I run out of bugs to feed them? With the other thingy I just turn it off. Would I then have to feed the sundew because it ate all the bugs lol.

Sundews grow like weeds, mine flowered and spread to other plant pots even lol. They don't need bugs to live, it just helps them grow. Think of it like fertilizing a plant.

Gnats all over my house!

Before clicking on this thread to read it, I was already thinking the title sounded like something from Dr. Seuss! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I was not disappointed!

Just last Friday, I had posted to another thread about the l'il barstads...
Yup, annoying PITA. Came out of the potted plants in my enclosure.
gnat trap (some alternatives)

If your running a bioactive set up the best way is to introduce a predator in the form of Stratiolaelaps scimitus (formerly Hypoaspis miles) these only eat the larvae of the fungus gnats. If your not bioactive then have you checked the plant for fungus on top of soil, hydrogen peroxide can be sprayed on effected plant ?

Gnats all over my house!

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have ordered the gadget that @Beman suggested. It will be here in a couple days and hopefully gets this under control.

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have ordered the gadget that @Beman suggested. It will be here in a couple days and hopefully gets this under control.
Did you use the cool little doodad? How did it work? Mine is trapping thousands a day, and yet, I still have them everywhere...
Flying up my nose, and trying to drink from my eyes. I hate them. I just got a new brand of potting soil (for cactus) that is quick drying. Repotted my plants...let see if that helps.

My girl catches them, is there anything wrong with that? It's awesome to see her catch mid air. Also since she loves flying things I'm gonna hatch her some moths to catch. She'll be be over the moon.
gnats and mosquitos are too small for my adult chams:(. I will leave the out mutant giant mosquitos of texas and such but frankly i would let my cham anywhere near those 2 inch bastards ?‍♂️

Did you use the cool little doodad? How did it work? Mine is trapping thousands a day, and yet, I still have them everywhere...
Flying up my nose, and trying to drink from my eyes. I hate them. I just got a new brand of potting soil (for cactus) that is quick drying. Repotted my plants...let see if that helps.
Sadly I have the same problem, however not as severe as you. I have a Katchy that catches dozens daily and have had 2 sundews in my bedroom (where chams are) plus a Venus flytrap and pitcher plant in the kitchen. I’ve treated my drains in case they were coming from there even. Yet still the little b*stards fly. Wonder if there’s a specific detrivore that eats their larva... @jamest0o0 ?

Sadly I have the same problem, however not as severe as you. I have a Katchy that catches dozens daily and have had 2 sundews in my bedroom (where chams are) plus a Venus flytrap and pitcher plant in the kitchen. I’ve treated my drains in case they were coming from there even. Yet still the little b*stards fly. Wonder if there’s a specific detrivore that eats their larva... @jamest0o0 ?
Hey so the person that gave me the feedback on the katchy also told me about NaturesGoodGuys Live Beneficial Nematodes. She said to follow the directions and add them to the soil and the nematodes kill them off. She said it was totally safe for cham enclosures. I did not do it because I have the layer of rock on the top. But she said if I mixed them with water and poured them in it should still work. I have not tried this though since mine appear to be dying off.

Hey so the person that gave me the feedback on the katchy also told me about NaturesGoodGuys Live Beneficial Nematodes. She said to follow the directions and add them to the soil and the nematodes kill them off. She said it was totally safe for cham enclosures. I did not do it because I have the layer of rock on the top. But she said if I mixed them with water and poured them in it should still work. I have not tried this though since mine appear to be dying off.
Wonder if those would kill off my isopods and springtails though.

Back
Top Bottom