Gnats, Gnats, Everywhere.

What is a katchy? Basically the same thing I am using? Guess ill google it after this.

I have a pitcher plant in Mushus enclosure. Thinking about buying a few more. Sundews are expensive...but perhaps ill get those too. Lol.

I also heard that spraying a 1/4 hydrogen peroxide with a 3/4 water solution directly on the soil (so avoiding the leaves) will kill them...but im hesitant on applying it inside the chameleons cage (any thoughts?).

My daughter is having a birthday party on Saturday so Im trying to rid my house of these pesky fliers. Lol.

What is a katchy? Basically the same thing I am using? Guess ill google it after this.

I have a pitcher plant in Mushus enclosure. Thinking about buying a few more. Sundews are expensive...but perhaps ill get those too. Lol.

I also heard that spraying a 1/4 hydrogen peroxide with a 3/4 water solution directly on the soil (so avoiding the leaves) will kill them...but im hesitant on applying it inside the chameleons cage (any thoughts?).
same thing as what you bought hun.

Sadly I have the same problem, however not as severe as you. I have a Katchy that catches dozens daily and have had 2 sundews in my bedroom (where chams are) plus a Venus flytrap and pitcher plant in the kitchen. I’ve treated my drains in case they were coming from there even. Yet still the little b*stards fly. Wonder if there’s a specific detrivore that eats their larva... @jamest0o0 ?

It really depends which flies you're having a problem with. Drosera capensis sundews will wipe out all the soil gnats your soil can manage, but fruit flies and phorid flies aren't drawn to them.

I always found a large variety of critters kept balance the best. I'd bring in things from the woods. End up finding little spiders, centipedes(small species!!), millipedes, isopods, springtails, beetles, etc. Never had problems with soil gnats after that.

This is why I've been hesitant to add any efficient soil predators. Your best bet is finding one that kills very specific prey @Pickle-cham didn't you recommend a mite like that?
Yep taurus mites i think the trade name is the scientific name is Stratiolaelaps scimitus formerly Hypoaspis miles. They are specific in which larvae they go for which is fungus gnats. They die off once the target is eliminated, i would only use in a bio set up tho since hydrogen peroxide can be used on plants without harm (would have to rinse or dry before cham back in)
The carnivorous plants are good but the problem is they also attract insect's with scent so may not be a complete solution. Gave you looked at soil in pots too see if there is fungi evident?

Yep taurus mites i think the trade name is the scientific name is Stratiolaelaps scimitus formerly Hypoaspis miles. They are specific in which larvae they go for which is fungus gnats. They die off once the target is eliminated, i would only use in a bio set up tho since hydrogen peroxide can be used on plants without harm (would have to rinse or dry before cham back in)
The carnivorous plants are good but the problem is they also attract insect's with scent so may not be a complete solution. Gave you looked at soil in pots too see if there is fungi evident?
I did notice fungus on the top soil, so i just repotted all of the plants.

Are the roots all good and healthy hopefully the larvae was just in soil ?
Yep, roots were beautiful and I rinsed them all off before repotting. Im hoping it helps. If not Ill be looking back through this thread and getting some predators. Lol.
Thanks.

The price makes it hard for me to want to buy these plants. Lol. I have 1 pitcher plant and there are gnats all through the pitchers. Its kinda cool to see, and kinda unnerving. Haha
Screenshot_2020-08-02-12-24-10.png

The price makes it hard for me to want to buy these plants. Lol. I have 1 pitcher plant and there are gnats all through the pitchers. Its kinda cool to see, and kinda unnerving. Haha
View attachment 273699
They also attract more insects by releasing irresistible scent or pheromones , so when your windows open you might end up with the more invaders.
Just checked some of the sponsors and couldn't find the predators mites so thought they would be banned in U.S like locusts but they are available:
https://www.arbico-organics.com/pro...-miles/beneficial-insects-predators-parasites

Back
Top Bottom