Glass Vivarium in a Tropical Country

takeshinagano

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using an exo terra 100gal enclosure however i would like to custom build a glass vivarium for my panther chameleon.

After doing alot of research I have come to a conclusion that a glass screened reptile vivarium is the way to go! I intend on putting adequate vents on the bottom of the enclosure to provide a chimney effect with convection currents to provide sufficient airflow for my Chameleon. (May even throw in a couple of computer fans if necessary)

The concern I have now is that I am currently staying in Malaysia, a tropical country on the equator.

Having cared for chameleons for several years when I was in the UK I noted that care requirements here are slightly different.

Firstly the most obvious change was the need for a basking light and a drop in temperature at night.

Over here we do not need them because it is too hot in the day time however temperature does not drop in the evenings either, no one seems to do anything about this issue over here and it appears to be fine.

My KEY concern is that chameleons in Malaysia require ALOT of misting compared to chameleons in UK.

As per my breeder's instructions (Who has cared for chameleons in the US and has been dealing with them for the past 8 years) chameleons need to be misted atleast 4 times for 5 minutes (1 minute on, 1 minute off followed by another 4 minutes on to stimulate the drinking process) a day using a Mist King system. This is alot more than the 2 minutes hand misting in the morning and night that i provided to my chameleon in UK.

The most common cause of death is dehydration over here!

Anyways, when i start housing him in a glass reptile vivarium with air vents on the bottom which has better humidity retention, does anyone know how long I should be misting him for?

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone staying in a tropical country like mine who has a panther chameleon too!

Hi Guys,

I'm currently using an exo terra 100gal enclosure however i would like to custom build a glass vivarium for my panther chameleon.

After doing alot of research I have come to a conclusion that a glass screened reptile vivarium is the way to go! I intend on putting adequate vents on the bottom of the enclosure to provide a chimney effect with convection currents to provide sufficient airflow for my Chameleon. (May even throw in a couple of computer fans if necessary)

The concern I have now is that I am currently staying in Malaysia, a tropical country on the equator.

Having cared for chameleons for several years when I was in the UK I noted that care requirements here are slightly different.

Firstly the most obvious change was the need for a basking light and a drop in temperature at night.

Over here we do not need them because it is too hot in the day time however temperature does not drop in the evenings either, no one seems to do anything about this issue over here and it appears to be fine.

My KEY concern is that chameleons in Malaysia require ALOT of misting compared to chameleons in UK.

As per my breeder's instructions (Who has cared for chameleons in the US and has been dealing with them for the past 8 years) chameleons need to be misted atleast 4 times for 5 minutes (1 minute on, 1 minute off followed by another 4 minutes on to stimulate the drinking process) a day using a Mist King system. This is alot more than the 2 minutes hand misting in the morning and night that i provided to my chameleon in UK.

The most common cause of death is dehydration over here!

Anyways, when i start housing him in a glass reptile vivarium with air vents on the bottom which has better humidity retention, does anyone know how long I should be misting him for?

I would really appreciate some advice from anyone staying in a tropical country like mine who has a panther chameleon too!

I don't think anyone will be able to give you an exact answer. Most likely you'll have to experiment. One concern I would have in the tropical situation would be that the glass enclosure will build up too much heat and won't cool off enough at night. You may need quite a lot of air movement to cool it at all, and this will dry the cage out.

Back
Top Bottom