MISTKING TIMING

jack_wardayyyy

Established Member
Hi everyone, I’ve just had my first night with the mistking system and had a few of my times set up the wrong way lol so it misted at 8pm 10pm 12am 3am 5am 7am. I did not want this but as a few of you know I’ve been trying to raise the humidity in the enclosure over night as currently in the UK it is every warm it did well. However, I am sure this disturbed Bruce’s sleep; I don’t think I should have that happen again.

What I am curious too is peoples times and how they have it run? With the heat atm I do want it on a few times a day so what is the standard everyone goes for?

Today I have:

7am - 7 minutes
10am - 2 minutes
12pm - 2 minutes
3pm - 2 minutes
5pm - 2 minutes
8pm - 5 minutes

I really aren’t sure on what’s good and have seen many things so any advice would be great

I live in Florida (aka Satan’s nether region) and run my Mist King during the day in early AM, mid day and evening before lights go off, 2 minutes each time. Because of the heat, I can’t get night temps below low-mid 70’s so I don’t fog at night. I do try to get a small humidity boost and run 2 brief 15 second mistings during the night. As far as I can tell, it doesn’t disturb my chameleons sleep. My panther boy used to sleep right in front of the mist head and he had a super-sized enclosure to pick sleep spots. Misting that many times during the day and with the heat of the day could boost your humidity too high and increase risk for respiratory infection.

That is a lot of day time misting. When I mist during the day I only do it during periods when the basking light is off and only for 10-15 seconds maximum. I also only do it no more than one or two times a day to create an opportunity to drink the droplets not boost the humidity for hours. Your day time humidity can go as low as 40% midday and early afternoon when it is hot.

Have we asked what you are using to measure humidity?

Hi everyone, I’ve just had my first night with the mistking system and had a few of my times set up the wrong way lol so it misted at 8pm 10pm 12am 3am 5am 7am. I did not want this but as a few of you know I’ve been trying to raise the humidity in the enclosure over night as currently in the UK it is every warm it did well. However, I am sure this disturbed Bruce’s sleep; I don’t think I should have that happen again.

What I am curious too is peoples times and how they have it run? With the heat atm I do want it on a few times a day so what is the standard everyone goes for?

Today I have:

7am - 7 minutes
10am - 2 minutes
12pm - 2 minutes
3pm - 2 minutes
5pm - 2 minutes
8pm - 5 minutes

I really aren’t sure on what’s good and have seen many things so any advice would be great
I had mine set for 3 minutes, 10 minutes before lights on but this made my humidity to high and stayed too high for a couple of hours

Today I have:

7am - 7 minutes
10am - 2 minutes
12pm - 2 minutes
3pm - 2 minutes
5pm - 2 minutes
8pm - 5 minutes

Hi that does seem like a lot , I had mine set to 3 minutes, 10 minutes before lights on , which was putting my humidity up to 90% and taking 3 or so hours to get back down to 70 xo I changed it yo 1 minute last night and I'm getting better numbers, and currently only misting again ag twelve at night for 2 minutes which is achieving mid 70s threw the night I don't I currently don't want it too high at night as the viv is not dropping below 22/ 24 c , and I don't want to mist during the day when lights are on just going to run a dripper ( I suppose a natural occurrence could be set up where basking and all lights go off over a period then a misting then everything reverts ) I'm not suggesting this I'm just saying, I have an evo pro which data logs so helps me try and make the decision

I do 3 minutes in the morning before lights on and then 8 minutes in the evening at 7:45 and the lights go off at 8pm. Its hard to keep the humidity up and the temperature low right now like you said because of the hot nights in the UK. But, when it was a bit cooler this was working good for me anyway :)

I do 3 minutes in the morning before lights on and then 8 minutes in the evening at 7:45 and the lights go off at 8pm. Its hard to keep the humidity up and the temperature low right now like you said because of the hot nights in the UK. But, when it was a bit cooler this was working good for me anyway :)
Yeah there just isn't one size fits all like my room is sitting at 48/ 53ish % but I have a 400 ltr turtle tank in it , data logging has been very helpful to me and just keeping in mind the dos and don't

I think that may be too frequent and not allowing the cage to dry out fully. The goal is to have high humidity nights and a thick layer of dew for them to drink in morning. Dry the cage out during the day with an occasional afternoon mist or drip session depending on if they need more hydration or not (look at urates).

I agree with it being a bit too much for daytime misting. The cage needs to dry out.

You will not find a one size fits all approach IMO. For example I live in AZ... No humidity outside virtually and running an ambient room humidity of 20-25%. So I run 3 mistings a day 6-7 minutes each. One 15 minutes after UVB kicks on but an hour before the heat kicks on. Then another one at 4:30pm but this is after the heat has kicked off 2 hours prior so my temps are starting to drop for the evening. And then I run the longest misting 15 minutes before lights kick off for the night. This is in a full hybrid enclosure with established plants.

For my veiled I can get up to 40-45% during the day and it will maintain it then I get the further bump moving into evening which will hold steady at about 70% with the reduced temps I provide.

Thank you for your replies everyone all your knowledge is valued a lot! I took a couple of mistings away but increased the times I’m struggling to hold above 40 through the day as I’m at work so I need the mistings :( however I am getting an evo pro in the coming weeks which should manage all of this! It’s good to see that everyone has different scenarios though and without everyone’s comments I wouldn’t have known to change!

Thank you for your replies everyone all your knowledge is valued a lot! I took a couple of mistings away but increased the times I’m struggling to hold above 40 through the day as I’m at work so I need the mistings :( however I am getting an evo pro in the coming weeks which should manage all of this! It’s good to see that everyone has different scenarios though and without everyone’s comments I wouldn’t have known to change!
Did you add any solid side panels to the cage?

Back
Top Bottom