Glass Terrarium?

DASVlDANlYA

Hi everyone!! I have a baby veiled chameleon (who I assume is female. They don't have a tarsal spur and they're almost 3 months old. I feel its safe to say "she.") And wanted to know if a 24x18x36 would be suitable for her when she's fully grown. I've read about better ventilation in screen terrariums which I have right now for her but the humidity control is abysmal. It's always at like 30-40% even though i mist her 2 to 4 times a day. AND I have a paper towel wall on one side of the enclosure, and another side saran wrapped to try to help things stay more humid. AND I have a humidifier.. so yeah. I read that terrariums have good ventilation as well and I'm honestly considering buying on of them to replace this one I have. What do you guys think?

Glass for chameleons is frowned upon by some but if done right it can be a great enclosure for many species of chameleon where temperatures and humidity are more easily controlable (at the expense of some ventilation).

You'd need an enclosure with a screen top and also ventilation on the lower part of the enclosure (like the exoterras) to have sufficient airflow.

You also need to adjust your misting as you'd probably won't have drainage (provide a dripper) and you don't want a swamp either.

The size of the enclosure should be ok.

Having used both screen and glass enclosures I prefer glass. Advantages include better temperature and humidity control as well as more visually appealing. This is actually in my kitchen and a big screen cages wouldn’t look good. It’s a must for Colorado and the super dry climate.

Good ventilation as well with Exoterra induction with hot air rising pulling air through vents. Also creates a self sustaining ecosystem with tons of cool creatures living in the soil. Bio media and automatic mister make it virtually maintenance free.

DCFFACF0-3495-4EDE-9898-9AC63750D152.jpeg
24F46031-C37A-4F3B-907B-AA34BA7A87D7.jpeg
F52D3E4D-653A-491C-97FC-40F6742214B8.jpeg
5F156D48-33C0-4BE2-A84E-A4D2A4F962C6.jpeg

Last edited:
Glass for chameleons is frowned upon by some but if done right it can be a great enclosure for many species of chameleon where temperatures and humidity are more easily controlable (at the expense of some ventilation).

You'd need an enclosure with a screen top and also ventilation on the lower part of the enclosure (like the exoterras) to have sufficient airflow.

You also need to adjust your misting as you'd probably won't have drainage (provide a dripper) and you don't want a swamp either.

The size of the enclosure should be ok.

Yeah I have my eye on the exoterra right now lol. I did read that having chameleons in aquariums as a huge no. So i'm glad exoterra makes glass enclosures with good ventilation.

Having used both screen and glass enclosures I prefer glass. Advantages include better temperature and humidity control as well as more visually appealing. This is actually in my kitchen and a big screen cages wouldn’t look good. It’s a must for Colorado and the super dry climate.

Good ventilation as well with Exoterra induction with hot air rising pulling air through vents. Also creates a self sustaining ecosystem with tons of cool creatures living in the soil. Bio media and automatic mister make it virtually maintenance free.

View attachment 205204 View attachment 205208 View attachment 205207 View attachment 205205

Awesome! Yeah I'm looking at an exoterra terrarium. I live right outside of chicago and I'm sure the climate around here doesn't help right now haha. Also your cham is beautiful!

Seems a little small but wayyyy back when we didn't know anything I kept a pair in a 2x2x3H 1/2 inch mesh enclosure and they lived for a few years and gave me babies sooo.... For Veildes I wouldn't stress too much about humidity. I mean do what you can, but don't freak out over it. They come from areas that go through great dry spells. They typically get their humidity at night and dry days. A misting system would help you. If Money is an issue (though a mistking may cost less than that tank), use a pump style spray bottle like I linked below. They are $4 and you will get a finer mist plus you can soak the cage in no time. Also, I have an umbrella plant in one cage and a Pothos in the other.... The Pothos cage has higher humidity. A faster growing plant respires more, therefore gives off more humidity.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/trueliving-one-liter-pump-sprayer-assorted.html

@raven1139 Nice illustration of the chimney effect. Some people use very small fans mounted on the top to pull additional air out of the enclosure if necessary to control excess heat or humidity.

Seems a little small but wayyyy back when we didn't know anything I kept a pair in a 2x2x3H 1/2 inch mesh enclosure and they lived for a few years and gave me babies sooo.... For Veildes I wouldn't stress too much about humidity. I mean do what you can, but don't freak out over it. They come from areas that go through great dry spells. They typically get their humidity at night and dry days. A misting system would help you. If Money is an issue (though a mistking may cost less than that tank), use a pump style spray bottle like I linked below. They are $4 and you will get a finer mist plus you can soak the cage in no time. Also, I have an umbrella plant in one cage and a Pothos in the other.... The Pothos cage has higher humidity. A faster growing plant respires more, therefore gives off more humidity.

https://www.dollargeneral.com/trueliving-one-liter-pump-sprayer-assorted.html
You probebly know they they are mean to be keep by themselves and not in pairs and groups

Awesome! Yeah I'm looking at an exoterra terrarium. I live right outside of chicago and I'm sure the climate around here doesn't help right now haha. Also your cham is beautiful!
yea aquariums are not the same as terrariums, I have used exo terras for Yemens and it have worked

Living in a northern climate the Exo Terra’s have many advantages over screen. The misting can be reduced a ton. Adequate drying between misting is important. Relative humidity must fluctuate so no contaminates can flourish. In my experience I’ve been able to keep my watering to a minimal amount with a variety of feeders each day hornworm,crickets, and dubias can’t go wrong. Only down sides is finding a vehicle that fits a tank that large in it and it’s weight two man job no matter what. I don’t own one but hybrid dragon Strand enclosure look very appealing as well

1) check out this podcast for more research http://www.chameleonbreeder.com/pod...n-in-glass-terrariums-with-dr-chris-anderson/

2) costs, if paying retail on a large tall exo, you are probably over $200. Once over that amount you could give the Dragon Strand clear side line a look. Check shipping schedule in shopping cart to see if scheduling fits your plans.

3) another option is to use coroplast to create 3 sides enclosed. This was my approach for the 4 zoomed xl I built. Lowe’s sells coroplast sheet or can find online like amazon 3rd party or boxes for less shipped to door. Holds misting from climist system in. Open front top permit airflow.

In short, what you use for cage is dependent on where you live, as you experienced over winter with heating systems in Chicago you struggle to keep humidity up with all screening. If you go glass you’ll need to watch some things more like heat in summer or molds if too moist, that are different than screen cages. But you certainly can achieve success.

Back
Top Bottom