Cage/tank

bklynmyke

I was wondering if anyone knows if they make a 48 inch tall glass terrarium with ventilation from both the top of the tank and the side to create good air circulation. I know a chameleon belongs in a screened cage but then I'd have to keep my whole room at a hot temperature and near 100 % humidity at night. Unless I'm missing something? Can I get a screen cage that's 24x24x48 and still manage to keep it hot and humid inside the cage while it's still comfortable outside the cage in my room?

I was wondering if anyone knows if they make a 48 inch tall glass terrarium with ventilation from both the top of the tank and the side to create good air circulation. I know a chameleon belongs in a screened cage but then I'd have to keep my whole room at a hot temperature and near 100 % humidity at night. Unless I'm missing something? Can I get a screen cage that's 24x24x48 and still manage to keep it hot and humid inside the cage while it's still comfortable outside the cage in my room?
You can do a hybrid style enclosure. You do not have to do glass. Also glass tends to be an issue with them seeing their reflection.
Room would not be hot. It would need to be the ambient temp the species needs. Then the basking fixture provides the warmest spot in the cage for them to heat up.
As far as humidity at night. You have to have ventilation as well so there is not stagnant air. And you do not have to get levels of 100%. You also have to be able to drop temps significantly at night in order to fog a cage or the cham is at risk for a respiratory infection.

What species are you interested in getting?

Tamura designs does a nice hybrid and Dragonstrand does as well. Both typically have a wait time to get them since they are made in the USA and not bulk built.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my original post. I already have the cham. He's a veiled cham. I live in Northwest Indiana and I found the little guy on the sidewalk! Can you believe it? I highly doubt the cham escaped his cage and then escaped the house. They're not like monitors. They don't run. Someone didn't want him anymore and just let him loose to die. I brought him inside. I currently have a 12x12x24 zoo med glass tank. I'm in between jobs and money is tight so I did the best I could. I got a tank instead of a cage because I thought my whole room would have to be 90 degrees so that the cage would be 90 degrees. I thought my room would have to be near 100 % humidity because I know they like it humid at night. You said my room can be the ambient temp that the cham needs. Isn't that around 70-80 degrees? I don't know if I can keep my room that hot. How much humidity does a veiled cham need at night? Also, I'm guessing a hybrid style is glass and cage? I'm sorry for all the questions it's just that I want to give this cham all he needs as fast as I can. Thank you for your help.

I guess I should have mentioned it in my original post. I already have the cham. He's a veiled cham. I live in Northwest Indiana and I found the little guy on the sidewalk! Can you believe it? I highly doubt the cham escaped his cage and then escaped the house. They're not like monitors. They don't run. Someone didn't want him anymore and just let him loose to die. I brought him inside. I currently have a 12x12x24 zoo med glass tank. I'm in between jobs and money is tight so I did the best I could. I got a tank instead of a cage because I thought my whole room would have to be 90 degrees so that the cage would be 90 degrees. I thought my room would have to be near 100 % humidity because I know they like it humid at night. You said my room can be the ambient temp that the cham needs. Isn't that around 70-80 degrees? I don't know if I can keep my room that hot. How much humidity does a veiled cham need at night? Also, I'm guessing a hybrid style is glass and cage? I'm sorry for all the questions it's just that I want to give this cham all he needs as fast as I can. Thank you for your help.
Ok so you can do a screen cage 24x24x48. There are ways to modify it inexpensively. But you will want to get him out of the tank asap. hybrid means any form of solid panels basically. But this can be done on a screen cage by adding window film to the outside two side and back panels. Leaving the front and top screen.

So ambient temp for a veiled would be low 70's during the day. Say 72 for example. Then basking temp would be a range of 80-85max.

The set ups for these guys can be quite expensive even if you do it modestly. You have to have the correct UVB lighting for it along with live plants, supplements, live feeder insects, etc.

Can you post a pic of the cham so I can see what the current condition is?

Reading through that link I gave you will help you understand what you need. Here we can teach you how to implement or buy on a budget as well.

The tank and cham...

Attachments

• 20220925_122438[1].jpg
    20220925_122438[1].jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 62
  • 20220925_122444[1].jpg
    20220925_122444[1].jpg
    311.8 KB · Views: 56
I use all inexpensive screen enclosures. Initially I used a cheap clear shower curtain from the dollar store to contain overspray when I misted and keep a bit of humidity in. I only covered the back and maybe 1/2 of each side. Often you can find gently used enclosures on Craig’s List or Facebook marketplace. You’ll just have to give it a very thorough sanitizing.

What if I covered the back and sides with window film? Would that be okay as well? Although now I'm seeing "knock down" cages that come with both glass and screen. Is that what is meant by hybrid?

I live on a small block. I've had flyers up for a little over a week all over the neighborhood. My neighbors are asking around for me, but so far no one's stepped up to claim him. There are no places to bring a reptile anywhere near me so I've left a flyer in local pet stores, vet offices, and urgent cares. He did look a bit worse when I found him. His color is better and yes, a bit thin. He couldn't have traveled too far so I thought I'd hear from someone in the neighborhood by now, but nothing.

I live on a small block. I've had flyers up for a little over a week all over the neighborhood. My neighbors are asking around for me, but so far no one's stepped up to claim him. There are no places to bring a reptile anywhere near me so I've left a flyer in local pet stores, vet offices, and urgent cares. He did look a bit worse when I found him. His color is better and yes, a bit thin. He couldn't have traveled too far so I thought I'd hear from someone in the neighborhood by now, but nothing.
Well people can be jerks... We see it a lot here.

Are you wanting to keep him or are you thinking about rehoming him?

I'd like to keep him. I know it's only been a little while, but I've forgotten how much I enjoy having a cham in the house. I don't think I'd get snakes or monitors again, but I've always said I'd like a cham.

I'd like to keep him. I know it's only been a little while, but I've forgotten how much I enjoy having a cham in the house. I don't think I'd get snakes or monitors again, but I've always said I'd like a cham.
Ok so the crash course... read everything in this program. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Most important things to buy... THis is my low budget suggestions.

2x2x4 screen enclosure
T5HO fixture with 5.0 or 6% bulb. Reptisun or arcadia. Should be a 24 inch fixture.
Live plants see veiled tested on image. No fake plants veileds will eat them.
Phosphorus free Calcium without D3 used at all feedings.
Repashy calcium plus LoD version used on feeders only 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th.
insects see image. Can get crickets for now. Looks to be a mature male. I would feed him each day 3-5 until he starts to put on a bit of weight.
vines flukers brand only. Or real branches from non sap producing trees.
temp gauge with probe for below heat lamp on basking branch
Pressurized water bottle for reptiles (they do not drink out of bowls) Mist the leaves morning and evening for a few minutes.
Floral wire to hook branches or vines to your screen.

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 11.41.38 AM.png
chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-food(1).jpg

Wow man, thank you sir!!! Most thorough. That's what I needed. I'm so glad I found these forums. And you! I feel a bit more confidant about fixing this little guy up. He's going to be king of the jungle when I'm all through. Everyone on here seems very friendly and knowledgeable. I can't thank you enough. If there's anything else you can think of that I'll need just let me know. I copied and pasted the list you left me and I took screen shots of the pics you posted. I hate being a pest but I do have a few more questions. I'm sorry to bother. I don't want to take advantage of your helpfulness. I just want to do this right and give this guy as long and as happy a life as I can. You wrote that I need a T5HO fixture with 5.0 or 6% bulb. Is that a heating or sunlight bulb, and doesn't he need both? Heat and then a light for the uvb? Or is it a 2 in 1 kind of thing? Also, as far as a screen cage, I'm just nervous that the humidity won't be able to rise in a screened enclosure. He'll get his heat from the basking bulb, I get that, and I was told to use a ceramic bulb for the night, but how will he get his humidity? Should I use a hybrid? Glass on the back and sides with a screen on the top and front? I don't want to use glass because of the reflection problem. Will he be okay in a 24x24x48 screen cage?

Wow man, thank you sir!!! Most thorough. That's what I needed. I'm so glad I found these forums. And you! I feel a bit more confidant about fixing this little guy up. He's going to be king of the jungle when I'm all through. Everyone on here seems very friendly and knowledgeable. I can't thank you enough. If there's anything else you can think of that I'll need just let me know. I copied and pasted the list you left me and I took screen shots of the pics you posted. I hate being a pest but I do have a few more questions. I'm sorry to bother. I don't want to take advantage of your helpfulness. I just want to do this right and give this guy as long and as happy a life as I can. You wrote that I need a T5HO fixture with 5.0 or 6% bulb. Is that a heating or sunlight bulb, and doesn't he need both? Heat and then a light for the uvb? Or is it a 2 in 1 kind of thing? Also, as far as a screen cage, I'm just nervous that the humidity won't be able to rise in a screened enclosure. He'll get his heat from the basking bulb, I get that, and I was told to use a ceramic bulb for the night, but how will he get his humidity? Should I use a hybrid? Glass on the back and sides with a screen on the top and front? I don't want to use glass because of the reflection problem. Will he be okay in a 24x24x48 screen cage?
Not sure what @Beman likes to go by personally, but traditionally she would be a mam. 😁

LOL It's cool. I was kidding. I mean I am sorry I said she was a he when he was a she. But I'm glad you let me know. It's nice knowing the sex of someone who's kind enough to help you. Seems the least I could do. Now I'll have to cook her dinner, or wash her car, or pick up her dry cleaning to make up for it. And I'll have to vacuum your carpet, clean out your attic, or pick up your groceries for letting me know. I'm going to have a lot of work to do now.

@Beman seems to be away at the moment, so I can answer your questions. The T5 with the 5.0 or 6% is your uvb or artificial sunlight. For heat you’ll need an additional light - usually a dome fixture with an incandescent or halogen bulb (start with a 60w and see what temps that gives).
For humidity, the ideal daytime range is between 30-50% which is about the same that we are comfortable at. Only at night and only if you can achieve a temp drop below at least 68F would you want really high humidity. High heat + high humidity = increased risk for respiratory infection. Add decreased air circulation to that and it’s even worse. I much prefer screen enclosures over glass as I find them more versatile. I can close off as much as I need to maintain healthy humidity while not losing ventilation. It’s much easier to attach structures to (Dragon ledges, garden trellis, etc) in order to hang branches and plants to and is much lighter weight. Also, while I have my girls in the standard 2x2x4’ enclosures, I keep my males in double that which I attained by sticking 2 screen enclosures together. As I also needed to block views, I made faux background panels which I can easily remove if I chose. This was when I first set it up. Since then I’ve added more branches and changed some plants out, plus it’s grown considerably. My males really use all of the space with their regular patrols and isopod hunts.
A18146BD-68C9-4FB0-978D-E33CCED415C8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom