Giant Outdoor Chameleon Cage

Ha ha. I always strive for perfection. It comes from the type of work I do.The staples are all evenly spaced, all 1000 of them:D

Outstanding. I even noticed the staples in one picture are very uniform. You a Virgo or something? I can relate. That will give you many years of satisfaction, I'm sure well worth the price and labor to have that.

I received my timer yesterday and I'm waiting for my valves to come in so I can put the final touches on the water system. I spent way to much on the water part of this project.:eek: I wanted flexibility to easily increase/decrease frequency and length of the watering intervals. I have three different valves I'm controlling, one for misters in the GOC, one for drippers in the GOC and one for misters on my other outdoor cages. I need longer misting times for the Parsons and shorter less frequent misting times for my Jackson's.

One thing I've noticed is the super fine mist bothers the Parsons eyes. I think it's because the mist is so fine they try to keep their eyes open and the water gets in their eyes. If the mist droplets were bigger I think they may just keep their eyes closed until the misters stop running. I feel like I need the fine mist for two reasons. First I feel on hot days they will really help keep the tempretures down and second they help by not putting to much water in the GOC and saturating the ground too much.

Anyway, it's a work in progress. I'm also making a water trough for them to drink out of. We'll see if it works.:)

if i promise to be a REALLY good boy this year, can i have one too, with lots of Parson's as well??? :)

Ha ha, Thanks. I still have a few more things I want to do. I'd like to put in some real subtle LED lights on a switch so at night I can flip'em on to see in there without disturbing them. I also need to finish getting my water system dialed in with a new timer and some solenoid valves.

fyi, for my 20'x10' that should be done in a weeks or 2; i'm putting red LED rope lighting inside around the upper perimeter on a simple sliding dimmer---i use the same setup in white for nice indirect night lighting in our lanai for when company's over and i hate the garish ceiling fan lights shining down in our faces.

they may even make dual-color ropes where you can pick red for night vision, but white for when you need to see a bit more---i'm pretty sure i've seen that sold as well when i was shopping.

I was thinking of using a rope light in there. I'm not sure if it would put out enough light but I think so. I also have a problem with the connector on the end of the rope light as I have to get it though a piece of wood.

Look forward to see what you're making.

fyi, for my 20'x10' that should be done in a weeks or 2; i'm putting red LED rope lighting inside around the upper perimeter on a simple sliding dimmer---i use the same setup in white for nice indirect night lighting in our lanai for when company's over and i hate the garish ceiling fan lights shining down in our faces.

they may even make dual-color ropes where you can pick red for night vision, but white for when you need to see a bit more---i'm pretty sure i've seen that sold as well when i was shopping.

Pringle
IMG_3179.jpg

Pepper
IMG_3176.jpg

I was thinking of using a rope light in there. I'm not sure if it would put out enough light but I think so. I also have a problem with the connector on the end of the rope light as I have to get it though a piece of wood.

Look forward to see what you're making.

A spade bit should give you no trouble getting through that wood

Please realize my advice is not free. So far I have earned the left third toenail of your female Parsons..

I've got a question for you--

Just got the main skeleton of mine up (few pix below), and am at the door point. Did you put any thought into having your door swing in vs. out? I would think that more times than not, I would be walking in carrying something. So it would be easier to push the door in. And my critters will be in cages, but if any get/are loose, it just seems better to swing it in towards them. I've got room to do either, but originally assumed it would open outwards as it will be more of a standard screen door.

Just got the main skeleton of mine up (few pix below), and am at the door point. Did you put any thought into having your door swing in vs. out? I would think that more times than not, I would be walking in carrying something. So it would be easier to push the door in. And my critters will be in cages, but if any get/are loose, it just seems better to swing it in towards them. I've got room to do either, but originally assumed it would open outwards as it will be more of a standard screen door.

Nice GOC! More pictures when your done. I would make the door to open outside of the cage. That way you fit more plants inside the cage itself and not knock your chameleon by accident. I would make your own thread about this GOC it definitely seems worth it.

Wow Kevin. I totally missed this post. Your GOC looks great! Have you started your on thread yet? You should, it's quite impressive.

I finally finished my watering system. Kinda over the top and I spent more than I wanted for sure.:)

I disconnected the system for my main yard irrigation timer and water line. I installed a seperate irrigation control box and added 3 12vdc solenoid control valves to control:
1. Misters in the. GOC
2. Drippers in the GOC.
3. Misters on my other outdoor cages.
IMG_3645.jpg

The valves are mounted behind the filters.
IMG_3647.jpg

IMG_3648.jpg

I had some issues picking the right valves and ended up using 12vdc valves instead of 24vac valves. The sprinkler controller puts out 24vac so I had to install a 12vdc power source and some relays.
IMG_3649.jpg

I had to run electrical out to the GOC so I also installed an outlet in there that I'll use for a heater in winter and lights too.
IMG_3653.jpg

I added some more plants too as one of my females is showing stress colors quite a bit and I wanted to give her more cover if she wants it.
IMG_3655.jpg

IMG_3650.jpg

Here's Kimbo
IMG_3625.jpg

Wow Craig, Heavy duty!
Looks like the staghorn on the left needs to be turned one 1/4 turn to the left. the fronds sticking out on the right side should be the top;)
Any tadpoles survive?

Ha ha, I was wondering about that. That is the way they had it a the nursery.
Did you get my text about the tadpoles? We only have four left.

Wow Craig, Heavy duty!
Looks like the staghorn on the left needs to be turned one 1/4 turn to the left. the fronds sticking out on the right side should be the top;)
Any tadpoles survive?

Back
Top Bottom