giant mealworms ???

my chameleon max seems to love giant mealworms ... how often and how many a week or a day can i give him ?

They are not a daily feeder. one or two a week is probably the limit. if you want to feed something different to your cham, tryt dubia roaches.

my chameleon max seems to love giant mealworms ... how often and how many a week or a day can i give him ?

If indeed they are "giant mealworms" meaning artificially growth enhanced (pupation retarded) mealworms, you dont want to use those at all, IMHO.

If plain mealworms (Tenebrio molitor), limit those to 10% of your chameleons diet or LESS.

If you mean kingworms aka superworms (Zophobas morio) - these can make up 10% and even up to 20% of your chameleons diet. They are high in fat, but if you gutload them and if your other feeders are not too fatty, they are a decent feeder option. So the once a week suggestion is fine.

If you offer too many of any larva, you run the risk of the chameleon not wanting to eat other (better) food choices.

I HEARD THE BIG MEAL WORMS HEADS NEED TO BE CUT OFF DUE TO THE CHANCE OF THE CHAM EATING IT WHOLE AND CAUSING THE WORM TO BITE INSIDE AND CAUSE INTERNAL BLEEDING.. AND THEY DO BITE HAHA I GOT BITTEN IT DOESENT HURT BUT I WOULD SEE HOW THIS COULD AFFECT MY CHAM SPECIALLY INSIDE ITS STOMACH:eek:

That's a myth, a lie. Mealworms and superworms do not eat through stomachs. On rare occassion, a superworm (not mealworm) may "bite" a chameleon on the face if the chameleon doesnt chew it fast. It is rare that this happens, and even more rare that it would be a serious injury. Leave the heads on!

The first time I offered a superworm my cham ate it tail first, and it "attacked" its face, no harm done though. But the cham didnt like that, EVERY time if offered one since she takes her time, finds the head, and eats it head first :)

Back
Top Bottom