Giant Centipedes

ocdirtyjerz

Has anyone feed their cham the giant centipedes we have here on the Hawaiian islands? The are not toxic, accordering to the poison control center here.
When I first saw the huge centis, I would grab them and chase people around them. They thought I was crazy. People would tell me they bite. I would laugh and say, "nah". The buggers I used to pick up would be around a foot long. Huge!
I finally did get bit by a very small one right in-between my toes. Holy sh*t! That was the worst bite I ever had. Some lady was rinsing he property with a garden hose and I happened to step on the little fricker.
I got some 6-inchers and was going to feed them. I wanted to ask first if anyone has experience feeding these huge insects.

centipedes in general are extremely aggressive, and i def would not feed it to your cham, and we havnt even started on toxicity yet.

Perhaps not toxic to large humans. But to a cham, it could be a whole different story. And with their aggresiveness - I would not take the chance.

Centipedes while not necessarily toxic to humans...are toxic to chams...Unless you where to cut the head off and then let him have at it. Then again wouldn't the be high chitin too.

hope that helps..

OPI

I would not do it. Those things have a horrid bite and mild venom. They are also aggressive, too large and very hard shelled.

It isn't worth it. Also, too many legs that will fight the whole way down.

Palmetto bugs, however.....

There's acid that will kill the thing and break it down. Whats 50 more legs from 12? I dont think its toxic and their skin is probably too tough to be stung. I'll look int it more for sure.

There's acid that will kill the thing and break it down. Whats 50 more legs from 12? I dont think its toxic and their skin is probably too tough to be stung. I'll look int it more for sure.

If you are really that set on it, give it a go, but it will be your own fault if something horrible happens. You have our opinions on it.

Hello:
Here is some interesting facts about centipede's venom:
http://www.wemjournal.org/wmsonline...&issn=1080-6032&volume=012&issue=02&page=0093
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...serid=10&md5=fc626acf41a404da34f22444a715d25c
http://www.wettropics.gov.au/pa/pa_centipedes.html

http://insects.suite101.com/article.cfm/giant_centipedes

It says there in the last link that they can also eat birds. lizards, and small bats by injecting them the toxin that cause paralysis.

i would certainly avoid feeding these to my chameleon:
060.jpg

Perhaps, you are talking about the giant millipede?
millipede.jpg

That one is not toxic.
But, I never try to feed my cham millipedes. So, I cannot tell for sure that it is edible for chameleon.

Centipedes while not necessarily toxic to humans...are toxic to chams...Unless you where to cut the head off and then let him have at it. Then again wouldn't the be high chitin too.

hope that helps..

OPI

GRAPHIC! PEOPLE WITH WEAK STOMACH, SKIP THIS POST.

Centipede bites on human:
centipede-fig2b.jpg

Not enough to kill human, but enough to do this.
:D

Please, please do not feed a cham centipedes or millipedes. If I remember correctly, lemurs in Madagascar go around and pick up the giant millipedes, whack them on branches and inhale the cyanide like substance that the millipedes produce in defense. It gets the lemurs high and they will gambol around for hours, enjoying the chemical effect. Not something you want to feed to a pet.

Also, Dodolah summed up why centipedes are a bad idea.

GRAPHIC! PEOPLE WITH WEAK STOMACH, SKIP THIS POST.

Centipede bites on human:
centipede-fig2b.jpg

Not enough to kill human, but enough to do this.
:D

Nahhhh, I knew this man. These were not centipede bites these were hickies, givin by the famous Pittsburgh Nellie. She was a woman that could do things with her one good arm that would make you forget about that thing on her neck!

Ok Thanks. I still will look into it and let you know. Don't be afraid to take that nasty picture off the thread. I really don't enjoy seeing that kind of stuff.

Ok Thanks. I still will look into it and let you know. Don't be afraid to take that nasty picture off the thread. I really don't enjoy seeing that kind of stuff.

You asked for opinions and there is the proof that it is a bad idea to give centipedes to a cham. Please don't do it. :( I feel horrible for the chameleon that you have access to, especially if you go through with this. They are not there for your entertainment.

why did you come here to ask advice, and then when all the advice goes against what you want you still try to justify it.

OBVIOUSLY.

1. centipedes are FAR too agressive, i have seen them eat mice..lizard and a few other smaller = size animals compared to them.

2. they do bite, they do hurt, and they are mildy venomous.

3. you cham WILL have a SHIT ton of trouble with the whole body fighting its way down, arn't you concerned with it choking, sure, once the head is bit..and its dead .. it still moves and can grip stuff.

4. I AM positive they have a chitin rate. another feeder would be advisable. i don't see the point in giving him such a random meal when it could be really hard on him and little to no benefit.

I would not do it. Those things have a horrid bite and mild venom. They are also aggressive, too large and very hard shelled.

It isn't worth it. Also, too many legs that will fight the whole way down.

Palmetto bugs, however.....

Palmetto bugs... Bad idea. The American cockroach will eat almost anything. Including cardboard glue, wallpaper, clothing, and all sorts of other things you wouldn't want to feed to your chams. Theyre about the dirtiest insect out there

Back
Top Bottom