getting too hot…am I allowed to do this ?

MangoTango

Established Member
so recently my chams basking spot has been getting too hot as the ambient house temp rises with summer. if I put the heat lamp on a timer, am I allowed to just have the heat lamp turn on and off periodically throughout the day to keep the temp steady? or no because then when it’s off it’s just the ambient air temp? thanks !

Others might know more but my heat lamp only on for a couple of hours 6-8 am then the temperature stays about right throughout the day. My central air set at 80 during day 70 at night.

Others might know more but my heat lamp only on for a couple of hours 6-8 am then the temperature stays about right throughout the day. My central air set at 80 during day 70 at night.
hmm my heat lamp is on for 12 hours, same as the UVB. is that incorrect ?

Are you able to try a lower wattage bulb or raise the lamp up a few inches. That might be all you need to do.
I have a 25 watt in there and it’s the lowest I can get. temps are still 85-90 :/ there’s no stand that will raise it high enough i’ve been searching for days.

If your ambient temps are that hot then you will want to discontinue the use of the basking fixture until temps start to reduce below 80.

I would suggest getting a window unit air conditioner however because they really need ambient temps to be lower. If yours are sitting at 85-90 there is no place for them to cool down all day. Then if they are staying warm at night this is going to be hard on them.

I'm having the opposite issue, but I live farther up north and have my setup in a basement that is cooler as the weather outside gets warmer. I struggle to get basking temps high enough.

hmm my heat lamp is on for 12 hours, same as the UVB. is that incorrect ?
Your only need the heat lamp to raise temperature not maintain it like @crosscutts said. Winter is a different story you may need it 12 hours then. Is your enclosure screen, solid or combination of both?

While it is meant to raise temperatures, it is dependent on the environment the enclosure is set up in. For example up in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, the basking lamp is consistently on during the day cycle due to ambient temperatures. But other members here living further south sometimes do not require it much at all in the summer.

Last edited:
I only run mine for 5 hours year round. 9:30am-2:30pm mimicking what would be the hottest part of the day. They do not need basking on for 12 hours. I keep my ambient in the low 70's with air conditioning in the summer and a blocked heat vent in the winter. My hybrid enclosure does the work for me by regulating the cage temp based on the ambient room temp.

Basking is used to provide a warm spot for digestion. But when ambient temps are higher than the recommended low 70's you want to turn off the basking fixture and only run the UVB. Ambient temps that are those of basking temps means no basking fixture should be used.

If your ambient temps are too cold then you have to be really cautious using a heat fixture to "heat" the cage. You do not want to create a spot that is too hot either while your trying to warm the cage. This is when correcting the ambient temp issue is needed.

Your only need the heat lamp to raise temperature not maintain it like @crosscutts said. Winter is a different story you may need it 12 hours then. Is your enclosure screen, solid or combination of both?
all screen! but there are plastic backgrounds on 3 sides so it keeps some humidity in

I only run mine for 5 hours year round. 9:30am-2:30pm mimicking what would be the hottest part of the day. They do not need basking on for 12 hours. I keep my ambient in the low 70's with air conditioning in the summer and a blocked heat vent in the winter. My hybrid enclosure does the work for me by regulating the cage temp based on the ambient room temp.

Basking is used to provide a warm spot for digestion. But when ambient temps are higher than the recommended low 70's you want to turn off the basking fixture and only run the UVB. Ambient temps that are those of basking temps means no basking fixture should be used.

If your ambient temps are too cold then you have to be really cautious using a heat fixture to "heat" the cage. You do not want to create a spot that is too hot either while your trying to warm the cage. This is when correcting the ambient temp issue is needed.
wow this was very informative thank you so much !

In all honesty it depends on the design of the enclosure, species and area of the world you live in. I live in a cooler, less humid environment, so I tend to have to mist and heat more. In talking to keepers of other reptiles, I'm starting to see why chameleons are not a commonly kept species. They are very finicky creatures.

Chameleons in the wild are not going to have the luxury of basking in the sun all day. They need to avoid predators, seek or avoid mates and hunt. These activities will take them in and out of the sun. Don't for get cloudy/rainy days and shadows in the hills and mountains. Short periods of sun and shade are fine rather than overheating and dehydration.
That said you also have the option to use a lower wattage bulb in the summer or raise the fixture up a bit to lower the basking spot temperature.

True, honestly I'm realizing just how difficult these creatures are to care for as the area they come from experiences quite a bit of seasonality, similar issues are faced with keeping certain primate species in zoos. I do have a bit of seasonality within my enclosure with the misting system running more often during drier seasons an running less in humid seasons. Al's affects the basking spot as when the misting system runs less, the basking spot temp sits at a higher temp, but sits at a lower temp when the misting system runs more. Enclosure design also allows areas away from both heat and UV though. Honestly comparing chameleon species to other reptile species, they require a much more complex setup than most imo. If wonder if keeping amphibians provides the same amount of challenge.

Back
Top Bottom