getting a skunk!

Cute pet lived in the country most of my life also and never thought they smelled as bad as people make it sound wouldn't want one as a pet though

thanks!

His surrogate mummy tried him on solid food for the first time today- scrambled egg. All 3 of them were more interested in playing with it than eating it!

I paid the deposit today, so it's happening for real! :D 3 & a bit weeks to go

1016144_665227080169855_655258899_n.jpg

969708_665227076836522_989461636_n.jpg

So how do you make sure they aren't going to spray you? Do you take it out or something?

in some places its legal to remove their scent gland to insure they dont spray, however in this case its illegal in the UK where the owner lives so it wont be getting removed. :)

in some places its legal to remove their scent gland to insure they dont spray, however in this case its illegal in the UK where the owner lives so it wont be getting removed. :)

D*** that is risky business... Piss that skunk off once, and well... piss! :/ I like crazy pets but I just couldn't risk it. Like to be pretty much peed on.

What would you do if it gets startled and sprays inside? Do they naturally smell?

D*** that is risky business... Piss that skunk off once, and well... piss! :/ I like crazy pets but I just couldn't risk it. Like to be pretty much peed on.

What would you do if it gets startled and sprays inside? Do they naturally smell?

That's what I'm woundering

apparently, they don't spray readily and you've got to know the signs that they're not happy and back off before they feel they have to spray. They stomp their feet, do handstands, & point their bum at you when they're upset, unfortunately, they also do this when playing! but if they're mad they tend to scream at you too. I've heard stories of them spraying because the owner accidently startled them.

My vet sad she will only treat him in the car park because if he sprayed, the smell would ruin the consultation room for the day. I've since found an exotics vet who is happy to treat him indoors.

You can use a hydrogen peroxide mixture to remove the smell but it's topical so won't freshen the whole room. The tomato juice solution is a myth. Many people use a pet friendly plug-in diffuser to freshen the house.

They're a little whiffy when babies & the scent glands are developing. Also, they occasionally let out little smells if they get over-excited, they just slip out lol

If the skunk is contented & happy & doesn't feel threatened, it won't spray. but you do have to be prepared to get stinked on rare occasions! Ferdy is being hand-reared in a house with other animals, including dogs, so he should be well-adjusted when I bring him home.

thanks!

His surrogate mummy tried him on solid food for the first time today- scrambled egg. All 3 of them were more interested in playing with it than eating it!

I paid the deposit today, so it's happening for real! :D 3 & a bit weeks to go

1016144_665227080169855_655258899_n.jpg

969708_665227076836522_989461636_n.jpg

Very cute...will they keep the colors they are showing now or turn darker when they get older?

Back
Top Bottom